thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago SuperDork
2/13/19 11:55 a.m.

Hey all, is it possible to bed new brakes on a rainy day? I've got a set of Porterfield R4s brake pads and new rotors waiting to go on my Miata. I'm debating breaking up the brake install and bedding into two days due to weather and time. I'm running Yokohama S-Drives if that matters. It's also been fairly cold and wet here lately.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/13/19 12:04 p.m.

You just need to get enough heat into the system to get pad material to transfer to the rotor. If you can do that, you're good, if not, no. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
2/13/19 12:12 p.m.

I know that brake vent systems need to be plugged up for brake bedding...I imagine heavy rain could have a similar cooling effect. If it's just wet roads or light rain it'll probably be fine. Brakes still work in England right? cheekyI never heard of the rainy season by me causing brake problems, back when we had rainy seasons...

Tyler H
Tyler H UberDork
2/13/19 12:22 p.m.

For race pads, I would say no.  But R4S are not a very aggressive compound, so I would say no problem.  

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago SuperDork
2/13/19 3:26 p.m.

I guess I'm more concerned with having enough traction to heat up the brakes in a wet "controlled environment." Sounds like I'll be ok though. 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
2/13/19 3:38 p.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

I've never used so much braking force to bed in brakes that wet traction would be an issue.

The possibility also exists that I'm doing it wrong.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4sW5sfJAofAFmFoYt7ctAvbO8QfPtT60qMjZghcX0Jfb6W7sxawwJQtzoPKwpOgU