spacecadet
spacecadet Reader
3/15/19 2:36 p.m.

I Wrote an Op-Ed for National Autox News about CAM. 

http://naxn.org/2019/03/15/op-ed-cam-whats-next-national-class-or-forever-supplemental/

my goal is to start a conversation. Curious to hear your thoughts. 

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
3/15/19 2:57 p.m.

I think it’s been around long enough and certainly has had enough attendance to justify being a recognized class. They draw enough people to hold CAM only national events. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Dork
3/15/19 3:09 p.m.

I also wish there were more classes like CAM. It's confusing at a regional level with all the STP, STX, STR, SSM whatever classes and it makes for an uninviting experience for newcomers. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/15/19 3:13 p.m.

I agree with the originators of this class that it should never be a jacket class. IT's everything the normal SRS BZNS auto-x'er's are not.... or it was supposed to be anyway. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
3/15/19 3:35 p.m.
Previous posters said:

They draw enough people to hold CAM only national events. 

I agree with the originators of this class that it should never be a jacket class. IT's everything the normal SRS BZNS auto-x'er's are not.... or it was supposed to be anyway. 

First, I don't have the skills to compete on a National level. Hearing more skilled, more involved people talk about it, here is the opinion I got from the limited sample set of others' opinions:

The SRS BZNS, razor thin ruleset of the existing championship draws one crowd, and the more relaxed format CAM pioneered would draw others. It'd be great if they did break out CAM and its rule format into a different championship series, with a jacket. Keep the Solo Nationals as one series and do another with the more relaxed rule structure, and participation might go up overall- which is the big win for motorsports, if it happens.

spacecadet
spacecadet Reader
3/16/19 12:01 a.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

The SRS BZNS, razor thin ruleset of the existing championship draws one crowd, and the more relaxed format CAM pioneered would draw others. It'd be great if they did break out CAM and its rule format into a different championship series, with a jacket. Keep the Solo Nationals as one series and do another with the more relaxed rule structure, and participation might go up overall- which is the big win for motorsports, if it happens.

I've thought I was inbetween the 2, slightly swinging SRS BZNS but the reality is I'm SRS BZNS to my core and I like national solo. CAM is cool and I do want to see more open rules classes for non CAM vehicles. But I like and thoroughly enjoy the competition. It is my favorite part of SCCA.

All the driver development I do with Mazdadeuce and other mentors I have is to chase the trophies and the dream of a jacket. 

Nate90LX
Nate90LX New Reader
3/16/19 8:49 a.m.

Is it possible that CAM is such a success (based on participation numbers both locally and nationally) because it avoided the normal process of design a class by committee. In fact wasn’t the STP class the answer for this demographic (Pony/Muscle cars on street tires)? I think if the SEB gets a hold on CAM it will fall into a similar pitfall that has dragged down SM and SP with rules to restrict the pointy end of competition. SCCA has been really bad at embracing new classes that are different from current classing system and really slow to expand the classes and cars (i.e. ST classes) for new types of classes.  If there was a CAM type class for all other cars (non-“American” and other drive configurations) it could be up half of some local participation.

So I think the way CAM is run has created its success and giving it to the SEB risks moving on a path to failure.  

My background: I competed locally for about 10 years in Stock, CSP and STS, but I never took the leap to Nationals. There were enough local National champs and trophies in our region (NWOH) that I knew where I stood (mid pack). 

Sorry for the long post which seems kind of rant-ish, but I felt it was useful. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/16/19 9:02 a.m.

No, it should stay supplemental.  There are plenty of jacket classes for those who need that fix.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Mod Squad
3/16/19 9:16 a.m.

is part of the beef that CAM got pre-approved days at Nat's, and STX and some other classes are "wait and see" until Regionals?  I guess that's kind of odd, since you can't "win a jacket" in CAM but you can in the other classes?

spacecadet
spacecadet Reader
3/16/19 10:45 a.m.
sleepyhead said:

is part of the beef that CAM got pre-approved days at Nat's, and STX and some other classes are "wait and see" until Regionals?  I guess that's kind of odd, since you can't "win a jacket" in CAM but you can in the other classes?

Not part of my concerns. I plan for the full week as does my car owner/co driver. I'm not thrilled about not knowing run days. But  not the end of the world to me. 

spacecadet
spacecadet Reader
3/16/19 10:59 a.m.
Ian F said:

No, it should stay supplemental.  There are plenty of jacket classes for those who need that fix.

i've got no issues with that besides stepping aside at solo nationals for those who want to chase a jacket. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qmiFa7rp33LPWmxBnpeBFKpg70EcdwwjPPgfmMrlvLgC9NKOtxIdzceygb0oi3f1