96DXCivic
96DXCivic None
9/3/08 8:12 p.m.

My '96 DX has the D16Y7 engine which is the non-VTEC engine. I am looking for headers because I am turning my car into a Street Prepared autocrosser but all the headers I have seen are for D16Y8. Will these headers fit the Y7? And does the same apply with the intake manifold?

Sonic
Sonic New Reader
9/3/08 8:40 p.m.

the bolt patterns on the head are the same, but they aren't "bolt on" mods. If I recall correctly, the cat on the DX is a close coupled unit. The EX (D16Y8) is not, it has a more conventional exhaust manifold/downpipe to a mid mounted cat. To use an EX header, you would need to have the rest of the exhaust setup the same way. That being said, there isn't much to gain from a header on one of these at near stock power levels.

For the intake manifold, the Y8 unit is the best flowing D series intake manifold Honda made, and has a larger throttle body than your Y7, so you'll need an appropriately sized intake hose for it, which I assume will be easy as if you are going to al this trouble you likely have a cold air intake already.

This car is all about the suspension though...go light, and as low as you can while maintaining suspension travel. Konis and stiff ground controls (500F 800R) with big swaybars and some wide 13" hoosier gumballs and you should be set.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic New Reader
9/3/08 8:47 p.m.

So I wouldn't gain anything on a Street Prepared Civic by going to headers but what about a high flow cat. I was also planning on going individual throttle bodies and a Hondata ECU.

oldsaw
oldsaw New Reader
9/3/08 9:15 p.m.
96DXCivic wrote: So I wouldn't gain anything on a Street Prepared Civic by going to headers but what about a high flow cat. I was also planning on going individual throttle bodies and a Hondata ECU.

If you're seriously considering going with ITBs and a programmed ECU, you should still keep a header in the formula; a good header will always increase the flow of air out of the engine.

Street Prepared has few restrictions on exhaust systems so you legally (per the rules) can completely remove the cat. You don't need one unless you drive the car on the street and have to meet emissions standards.

All that said, concentrate on developing the suspension because that's where you'll find the biggest performance improvements.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic New Reader
9/3/08 11:40 p.m.

On the suspension front, I have noticed that most people brace the rear subframe if they install a rear swaybar is this legal under Street Prepared rules?

Travis_K
Travis_K Reader
9/4/08 12:22 p.m.
96DXCivic wrote: On the suspension front, I have noticed that most people brace the rear subframe if they install a rear swaybar is this legal under Street Prepared rules?

Look and see what it says, but I think if its only from side to side its ok.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Reader
9/4/08 1:36 p.m.

Speaking of Civic headers, I saw these on a Civic at the Duryea Hillclimb a few weeks ago.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dW1w20FJtONQGMKRlCPXUEFBj0AzeTOGRvnayNyiGnHkALVN055cGHwl24JuCsUI