1 2 3 4 5
alex
alex UltraDork
11/3/12 10:39 a.m.

Wow. I really like this thing.

cordycord
cordycord New Reader
11/3/12 7:48 p.m.

The Catfish is my car, and was right next to the Grassroots booth. It's called "Catfish" because the original sketch was drawn while looking at a real Catfish. If you saw it in person, you'd agree that the name fits the car.

The show car was finished at 2am the day we left for the show, so not everything was completed as we wanted. However with a 1,500lb weight, any 1.6/1.8 Miata engine wil make this car move out. V8 is a crazy option, for those of you who are certifiable. A turbo 1.8 with 250hp will give this car a 6:1 HP/weight ratio. Enough perhaps? Last, the frame was designed by Ron Hemphill, whose frames have won the Paris Dakar. The rear shock tower was raised to improve bump travel, and the seats moved back to put your butt closer to the rear wheels and improve traction.

We'll see if all this works next month at the 25 hours of Thunder Hill.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
11/3/12 7:56 p.m.

Thanks for chiming in. It is nice to have manufacturers participate in the conversations about their products

cordycord
cordycord New Reader
11/3/12 8:09 p.m.
JoeyM wrote: Thanks for chiming in. It is nice to have manufacturers participate in the conversations about their products

You bet. I forgot to add that it has a full flat bottom and a rear diffuser for ground effect.

Jaynen
Jaynen HalfDork
11/3/12 9:22 p.m.

Are you guys running it at 25hrs of thunderhill?

Does Emilio really already have a deposit? I am curious to see what you do to add the safety cage hopefully without ruining the look :)

How long until you hope to see prototype kits available?

peter
peter HalfDork
11/3/12 11:27 p.m.

Thanks for answering my implicit frame question. This is what the 818 should have been. It's a very cohesive, and I'll say beautiful design. Miles ahead of the 818 there. I look forward to your successful production run!

cordycord
cordycord New Reader
11/4/12 1:19 a.m.
Jaynen wrote: Are you guys running it at 25hrs of thunderhill? Does Emilio really already have a deposit? I am curious to see what you do to add the safety cage hopefully without ruining the look :) How long until you hope to see prototype kits available?

Emilio showed enthusiastic interest. I'm sure he'll be driving one of the first customer cars. Kit availability right now is just a guess.

WhiteLX
WhiteLX Reader
11/4/12 1:59 a.m.

would be nice if it were mid engine, but I like the looks of it a lot more than the 818. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's just something about the 818 that doesn't look right. I'd really like to build a Catfish someday.

Is there any plan to have a windshield? What happens with the PPF in a V8 conversion?

It sounds like they may be located very close to me.

cordycord
cordycord New Reader
11/4/12 1:08 p.m.

In reply to WhiteLX:

The cars are located in Southern California--San Clemente and San Diego county. We have a windshield in the works, but frankly there is a whole laundry list of items that need attention prior to making this a nice comfortable boulevard couch. Our motto is that if it doesn't make it stop, go or turn, it's not needed. :)

Another thing that's really not needed is a V8 swap. We will support those crazy enough to do it, but a windshield will probably end up on the car before a V8 ends up under the hood...not needed.

nderwater
nderwater UberDork
6/25/13 3:18 p.m.

The car was featured on Autoblog today - have there been any recent updates on the project?

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
6/25/13 3:27 p.m.

They have been racing that one since thunderhil not sure what engine is in it. I have not heard anything more about the kit itself

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/25/13 4:18 p.m.

I know! Because I saw it at Laguna Seca this spring and I was just talking to cordycord. It's currently running a 1.6 engine. There's some interesting thinking and design work in this car, and I suspect the "you don't need a V8" statement might be a bit dated by this point. I'd love to build one for someone. Hint.

kreb
kreb SuperDork
6/25/13 5:30 p.m.

Heh, I sent them an e-mail some time ago saying that I'd assembled kit cars and would be interested in being a beta-builder. Didn't hear anything for several months, then I saw on facebook that they had been sending out kits at a reduced price to get them dialed in, but they were ending the offer. Doh! Would have loved to have been in that first group.

kreb
kreb SuperDork
9/9/14 5:36 p.m.

So I've heard how Laguna Seca was for the Exocet and new Miata, but how about the Catfish? Did anyone get a ride? Was it kicking butt on the track? The car looks very well fit and finished on the computer. I'd think that it'd have a significant aero advantage over the Exocet, and with the low windscreen, probably a regular Miata as well.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
9/9/14 5:55 p.m.

I saw a nicely finished Catfish on display at MRLS last weekend. Smaller and prettier than it looks like the pictures. I did not go for a ride.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
9/9/14 7:33 p.m.

I like the styling of the Catfish more than the 818.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/9/14 11:23 p.m.

If you installed 7" round lights and added an oval radiator intake, it'd look like a lot of road race cars from the early 60s.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
9/10/14 8:11 a.m.

Keith brought one along with some exocets to the last Mitty so I was able to see them all in person. Keith was even nice enough to let my sweaty arse into the seat and make vroom vroom noises. Color me impressed. I agree it's much smaller in person than some of the photos suggest. It is by far the prettiest of the trio discussed here, which I have to admit makes a difference to me.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
9/10/14 8:23 a.m.

Does that "super lightweight space frame" that aapears to actually be DOM tubing not look like it was designed to fold under the occupants in a frontal collision?

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
9/10/14 1:21 p.m.

Knees taste good!

Pretty car.

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
9/10/14 1:30 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Does that "super lightweight space frame" that aapears to actually be DOM tubing not look like it was designed to fold under the occupants in a frontal collision?

I'm also not sure why the downward kink is there if it's for the catfish - the car doesn't even look to have doors or lower sills to take the area that the kink opens up.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/10/14 3:20 p.m.

That's because it's not a Catfish.

THIS is a Catfish frame.

In fact, here's a complete Catfish build diary for you.
www.flyinmiata.com/projects/catfish/

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
9/10/14 3:36 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: That's because it's not a Catfish. THIS is a Catfish frame. In fact, here's a complete Catfish build diary for you. www.flyinmiata.com/projects/catfish/

http://www.mazdatalkforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2694

This thread contradicts... perhaps it's an early prototype? Obviously the one you built is completely different (and much more sane looking for a tube chassis) - but that thread has a whole lot of pics that all appear to be legit at one time. Or... maybe someone bought the body and made their own chassis?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/10/14 3:57 p.m.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/10/14 3:57 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: That's because it's not a Catfish. THIS is a Catfish frame. In fact, here's a complete Catfish build diary for you. www.flyinmiata.com/projects/catfish/
http://www.mazdatalkforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2694 This thread contradicts... perhaps it's an early prototype? Obviously the one you built is completely different (and much more sane looking for a tube chassis) - but that thread has a whole lot of pics that all appear to be legit at one time. Or... maybe someone bought the body and made their own chassis?

I'm going to say it was an early design. My picture is definitely the current design, including some revisions to the front shock towers.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O6wobPr2tPGaCnCdg0jeAKHKT3XlkRIHehyGfKKw87jCgrdPJQpHYNWy9YsoliEr