1 2 3 4
G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
11/21/14 1:37 p.m.

My aunt once had an FB RX-7. My grandad had a 4X4 B12 Sentra Wagon. That's it.

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
11/21/14 1:37 p.m.

Dad - 38 Chevrolet Coupe - Gasser Style - 283 V8, triple Strombergs on an Offy Aluminum Intake, later Hilborn Fuel Injection, T-10 4 spd.

Mom - 77 Trans Am - REAL Poncho 400, 4 spd. - no flaming chicken on hood

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
11/21/14 1:39 p.m.

Wow, what do you mean by family? For me I guess it would be my Spitfire or maybe the Studebaker Power Hawk. Include my mom and we'd have to consider her Falcon Sprint. With dad it would be a toss up between his Healey 100 or his specially built for him 65 Mustang. Bring in one aunt and we'd have the MGTF. Bring in the other aunt and we'd have the Super Bee.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
11/21/14 1:46 p.m.

My Uncle Bud bought a 1965 Shelby Mustang - flew out to California on his honeymoon with my mom's sister (my Aunt) - got divorced in the 1970's and 2 years ago he told me he still had the Mustang. He told me the car he wished he had kept was his 1963 or 1964 (I forgot) Impala SS 409 Convertible he bought new. He also bought a 1959 Corvette new. AND he was the first to buy a Vega. He also owned a Sprite and a Cortina - when I called him I somehow turned it into a Lotus Cortina and he laughed and told me it was just a standard Corinta. With all those cars the rest of my family blows.

He was a huge Road America guy - he and my Aunt would work the scoring booth in the early-to-mid-1960's before they had kids. He took me to a Can Am race there once.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
11/21/14 1:47 p.m.

My father is probably the reason I caught the car bug---as I've been obsessed since before I can remember. A few of his "cool" machines:

58 MGA

Jag XK 150

78 VW Scirocco

86 GTI

88 Jetta GLI 16v

83 Supra

85 Supra

90 Supra Turbo

97 M3 (mine now)

He currently drives an 04 Supercharged MINI Cooper---- so although he's now in his 70s, he still enjoys driving.

My older brother was also an influence, but with American stuff. He had a 72 Monte Carlo which was cool in a huge (kingsize bed hood) kinda way. He then did a total resto on a 72 split bumper Camaro (396- 4spd) which was totally bitchin!

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
11/21/14 1:56 p.m.

Dad had a 1933 Chevrolet Eagle 6 phaeton as his daily driver from 1944 to about 1952, when he retired it from active duty. He drove it occasionally until about 1972 or so, when it quit and he took it apart to rebuild it. Unfortunately it was still no back together when he died in 1996. Mom sold it to a guy in California who was going to put it back together.

He had a 1972 Grandeville ragtop with the 455. Awesome, cushie, floaty, quiet, lazy. My sister bought that from Mom when he died, and had it refurbished. She's still got that and drives it to cruises and car show once in a while.

Morbid
Morbid Reader
11/21/14 2:02 p.m.

Mom isn't all that into cars, and dad got most of his bucket-list cars out of his system before I was born. My car-bug came from dad working in a shop and taking me to work with him whenever I asked, and letting me help with repairs. Dad had a long series of Ford trucks and mom had various appliances with a couple of almost-cool cars thrown in (like the IROC Z28 that I loved until it overheated and stranded up 40 miles away from home. We had a car phone for that car...).

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
11/21/14 2:10 p.m.

My dad had a number of cool European sports cars that he had to sell as our family grew and the economy tanked in the late 70's. His '52 Siata coupe was one of only a few dozen ever made and his '57 Peerless GT was one of about 325. His favorite driver was his '55 Jaguar XK140 fixed head coupe, and he also had a MKII MGA and a '72 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce.

His current ride is an Mercedes E350 wagon with the AMG sport package.

slowride
slowride Reader
11/21/14 2:15 p.m.

My uncle had a couple of Ducatis in the 60s and 70s. Other than that the only thing I can think of is my dad having 2 leased Taurus SHOs in a row (the ones with the Yamaha engines).

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
11/21/14 2:15 p.m.

My dad was a racer, so there were a lot of cool race cars around when I was a kid. My favourite was what they used to call either a diamond class, or compact late model stock car. it was a 64 Chevy II on a full Chev frame, with a really high strung 302 Z28 motor.

Our family car from 71-74 was a 71 Z28 4spd with 4.10 gear.

Karacticus
Karacticus Reader
11/21/14 2:40 p.m.
Karacticus wrote: 1973 Triumph Stag. My mother used it to give white knuckle rides to business clients when she felt they were being a little to patronizing to "the little lady."

Oh, before that, her primary vehicle/kid mover was a beige, 1966 or 1967 Ford Econoline van, with additional vinyl daisies slapped over every new dent as they happened.

My Dad's parents insisted it be parked behind the house when we visited-- "It's so nice, you wouldn't want someone to steal it, would you?"

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/21/14 2:45 p.m.

In 1908, my great grandfather owned the FIRST motor vehicle in Saginaw Michigan.

It was a Model T.

My grandfather was 10 years old, and drove it for his father's lumber yard.

I think that is fairly cool.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
11/21/14 2:47 p.m.

I had an uncle who owned two Citroens, a 64 DS-21 and a 72 D-Special.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
11/21/14 2:47 p.m.

My dad had an early '60's Karman Ghia, and traded it for a '67 Mustang. Then came a string of Z's starting with a 240Z when they came out, and ending in the eighties when the BMW trend started. He's now had a string of 3, 5, and X series, including a new X5 they bought a few weeks ago.

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
11/21/14 2:51 p.m.

Not much of a car history in my family. The one interesting and influencing car from my youth was my dad's "mid-life crisis" car that he had for a few years. It was a Canary Yellow 1974.5 Triumph TR-6. It had the right look and made the right noises...When it ran, of course. I have some great memories of that car, although quite a few of them involve helping to push it at some point. Unfortunately it was gone before I had a drivers licence, although he did let me drive it around the block once before he sold it.

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
11/21/14 2:54 p.m.

My father picked up a '69 Corvette new at the end of 1968 and did autocross with it through the mid 80's. Had it tuned to run about 400hp on race gas, not bad for a small block. Still has it, I think it may have 75k miles on it.

He does HPDE at NJMP with a '07 Corvette z51 package now. Has a frame in the garage saying "The older I get the faster I was". :P

I think it's cool that he is still running around a track as he is almost in his 70's.

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
11/21/14 2:59 p.m.

My grandfather and uncle had a small Chrysler/Plymouth dealership in Little Rock. In '62 they bought a new "F/X" factory Super Stock Belvedere 426 wedge, three speed manual. They hired a local dirt track racer to drive it and went drag racing for a year. They did several "three abreast" races against similar cars from the Pontiac and Ford dealerships. The car invariably fell behind by the eighth and then ran the competition down in the second half. I believe it was in the mid-elevens. Naturally, they sold it for a song after a year.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
11/21/14 3:05 p.m.

My dad had a '32 Ford 3 window coupe, but that was in about 1935 when it was just a cheap used car.

Hal
Hal SuperDork
11/21/14 3:07 p.m.

Some from my family

The Alfa was mine, purchased when I graduated from college. The Mustang (first 289 Mustang in SW PA) was my father's. And about 3 months after this picture was taken my younger brother bought an identical Alfa except his was white.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/21/14 3:12 p.m.

'67 Pontiac GTO, back when it was new. Now they have an MX-5 and BMW 3 series wagon.

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
11/21/14 3:12 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: My dad had a '32 Ford 3 window coupe, but that was in about 1935 when it was just a cheap used car.

Sad to say. Probably almost all of us can list various rides we wish we had kept. We always seem to end on the same note, but that was in about ____ when it was just a cheap used ride. I sure wish I hadn't trashed my Starliner Coupe! etc. etc. etc.

Autolex
Autolex Dork
11/21/14 3:22 p.m.

My Grandfather had a '55 Fairlane Crown Victoria Skyliner Coupe (glass roof) - This color combo too...

Then he wrecked it (in Buffalo, in the snow) and replaced it with an IH Scout 80

My dad's had a whole series of fun ones;

• 1962 Red Corvette
  • 1970 Challenger (318)
  • 1971 240z
  • 1975 260z
  • 1984 Firebird S/E 5sp (which he actually bought for my mom to replace her '74 Karmann Ghia [with factory air!])
Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
11/21/14 3:41 p.m.

Dad - 66 GTO, 68 GTO, 70 Camaro all bought new, all gone now unfortunately

Stepmon - Alfa Spider and 85 Celica GTS both bought new. She said the Alfa was unreliable just about from day one, but that wouldn't keep me from owning one . I wish I had ended up with the Celica, but her niese got it and destroyed it.

I'm the only one in the family with cool cars now.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
11/21/14 3:41 p.m.

When I was three or four years old, my Uncle George was in the Early Ford V8 Club. He built a two bay addition out the back of my Grandfather's garage so it was two wide and two deep. He had a 1936 Ford Coupe with a rumble seat and a 1939 Mercury (first year for the Mercury!). I remember riding in the rumble seat and also remember just hanging out in the garage for hours and hours. I loved the rumble seat, but I would never go near the front of the '36 because I was terrified of the headlight. It was huge and scary and different and it was at eye level or higher when I was four. Eventually, I got over it...

I'm convinced that Uncle George was responsible for the fact that I grew up to be a car guy. The toys that I played with at my grandparents' house weren't your typical Hot Wheels. I had a Mercer Raceabout, a Stutz Bearcat, a Rolls Royce Silver Ghost and some kind of early Cadillac Phaeton. There was also a much larger Ford pickup that actually had working Twin I-Beam suspension and a U-Haul trailer. I'm sure that it was a dealer promo, as I have another uncle who was a bigshot at Ford back then. I wish I still had that little truck and trailer.

Uncle George just passed away this past summer. I don't have any pictures of the scary (but perfect) coupe, but I have one of him next to the '39 Mercury. This photo was probably taken around 1970.

photo UncleGeorge_zps4e063af1.jpg

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
11/21/14 3:48 p.m.

Oh, duh, my sister had a '68 GTO convertible.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4W1wGyEEQlu2iBxGeCzLaHAG0BJU3yKpdJhU6BedQD8yxfcoK4TN14fzsYOp1OuC