thoraxe
thoraxe New Reader
12/30/10 9:53 p.m.

I have been Googling for hours and tearing my hair out to no avail. I am in the process of building a wiring diagram to completely gut and re-wire my SC300. The turn signals and hazards are driving me bananas. Even searching for kit car information I'm coming up with nothing.

I would love to simply buy an aftermarket hazard switch / hazard button and just wire it in accordingly. The only one I've actually found is Part 517202 on this page: Vehicle Wiring Products Ltd. Note this is in the UK! Is there really no place in America to get one of these?

I would even be happy to steal a factory style hazard switch / hazard button from something here, but I can barely even find that information. I just finally came across a Miata diagram that happens to discuss the hazard switch:

But this doesn't really indicate which pin goes to what.

I'm sure this is a case of me having been looking for something for too long to actually be able to figure it out. Hopefully someone here will have some more information.

Happy new year!

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
12/30/10 9:58 p.m.

if it is a custom application, just grab the "prettiest" one you can find from a slightly used OEM application (ie. The junkyard!)

thoraxe
thoraxe New Reader
12/30/10 10:03 p.m.

Right, but then how to wire it?

Oh, apparently the Miata button is just a button. There is a "unit" that then controls the rest of the functions. That might actually not be bad to use, but finding a pretty way to secure the unit and connect to it might be a bear.

thoraxe
thoraxe New Reader
12/30/10 10:36 p.m.

I think this is just something they don't really sell in the US.

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/illuminated-push-button-hazard-switch-red-circular-with-rubber-splash-proof-cover-pbhazr-1841-p.asp

Raze
Raze Dork
12/30/10 11:16 p.m.

you will need a relay that actually pulses it, some are built into the turn signal relay which are actuated by the separate hazard switch, I just went through this fun on my 72 Fiat spider. I wouldn't recommend such and old application, but it's very simple and there's full wiring diagrams online with all the lights and how it all 'works' but I don't know if it would be helpful...

http://www.artigue.com/?page_id=58

pick one of the spiders as it's pretty simple, all diagrams are labeled, but how you 'power' the relay would be up to you to get right from your fuse block. Goodluck.

2002maniac
2002maniac HalfDork
12/31/10 2:59 a.m.

Couldn't you just use a generic turn signal flasher relay tripped by a push button on/off switch?

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
12/31/10 7:04 a.m.

Victoria British, p/n 8-4011. Completely self contained and available here in the Colonies (or the Great Satan). http://www.victoriabritish.com/icatalog/mg/full.aspx?Page=188

thoraxe
thoraxe New Reader
12/31/10 8:26 a.m.

I've seen a lot of diagrams that use two flashers. For what is really going to be a race car that has no requirement for hazards, that seems like an inefficient use of space. I guess I'm just being greedy for elegance, and I don't like that solution.

There are a lot of factory flasher diagrams out there, but I haven't found a factory hazard switch that actually has the wiring in it that I think looks pretty.

You can do it with a single flasher and a DPST, but that doesn't cut out the direction indicator switch like most factory switches do (this is why a factory switch has seven pins!).

I think I'm basically going to implement this and just use a toggle switch. It should work well enough. Since I'm going to have so many other toggle switches, having a unique hazard switch might actually look weird.

Thank you all for the suggestions! This thread will come in handy for others looking for this information -- Google will index it right up!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zf7JpaMtAOcYs9Em5cTsGF5KlU3GWlX7y1dm0FB9igAF4tcJyKL0ku34fz7ZqAar