1 2
stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
2/22/23 6:22 p.m.

They're still out there, waiting to be found...

My cousin restores cars at the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Company in Oklahoma. They recently found a 1931 Duesenberg Model J, with a disappearing top body by Murphy, one of 25 built. It's been sitting in a garage not seen by the public for the last 50 years.   A video has been posted showing it getting hauled out of the garage, my cousin is the guy in the blue shirt briefly shown at about 1 minute 30 seconds in:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nIRP9hP9rQ

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
2/22/23 7:19 p.m.

Those Murphy bodies are stunning. 

The ACD museum had one on loan for a while, they have a good blueprint. 

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
2/22/23 8:40 p.m.

According to the video it went into hiding in 1967.  That's closer to 60 years FWIW.

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
2/22/23 8:48 p.m.

That is really cool to see. Thanks for sharing the video!

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
2/22/23 9:04 p.m.

It's kind of interesting that one of the world's most renowned experts on them is actually Jay Leno.  We all know that he knows a lot about cars but Duesenberg is his area of expertise.  
 

I've actually seen an SJ (J like this but with a blower) in the flesh.  In the basement of the Petersen.  

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
2/22/23 9:18 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/23/23 9:56 a.m.

i want to know more about the house and the neighborhood...

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UberDork
2/23/23 10:12 a.m.

What, that's a duese of a story!

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
2/23/23 10:51 a.m.
A 401 CJ said:

It's kind of interesting that one of the world's most renowned experts on them is actually Jay Leno.  We all know that he knows a lot about cars but Duesenberg is his area of expertise.  
 

I've actually seen an SJ (J like this but with a blower) in the flesh.  In the basement of the Petersen.  

They only built a few supercharged cars from the factory but there's quite a few running around with reproduction blowers on them.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
2/23/23 11:09 a.m.

Watch the first step, it's a doozy! - Digital Marketing

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
2/23/23 12:03 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

i want to know more about the house and the neighborhood...

I'm guessing they aren't letting that information out, to maintain the privacy of the woman who owned it.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
2/23/23 12:08 p.m.

I showed this to my wife and mentioned that my project car hasn't been sitting in the garage for nearly this long. 

She retorted that my car wasn't worth seven figures. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
2/23/23 12:18 p.m.

Every time I drive past a sad looking place with a garage door that hasnt been opened in a decade or 2...theres always a chance something cool is inside.  

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
2/23/23 1:31 p.m.

When does a car go from "well-known family secret" to "barn find?" It seems like usually barn finds are known, just by a few people who were intimate with the (usually deceased) owner.

Does this mean my grandma's 1940 LaSalle counts? We pulled it out of her garage after she died a couple years back, my grandpa restored it in the early 2000's just before he died and it hadn't moved under its own power in about 15 years.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/23/23 1:52 p.m.

In reply to AMiataCalledSteve :

those were the days!

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
2/23/23 1:57 p.m.

You know you're getting old when you read "been in storage for 50 years" and think, "1983, so fairly recent."

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
2/23/23 2:45 p.m.
AMiataCalledSteve said:

When does a car go from "well-known family secret" to "barn find?" It seems like usually barn finds are known, just by a few people who were intimate with the (usually deceased) owner.

Does this mean my grandma's 1940 LaSalle counts? We pulled it out of her garage after she died a couple years back, my grandpa restored it in the early 2000's just before he died and it hadn't moved under its own power in about 15 years.

Have you ever had a chance to shift that car?.   Nothing I've ever driven shifts as. Nice as that LaSalle  gearbox. ( and yes, I've driven Don Skogmo's Duesenburg) 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/23/23 2:46 p.m.

In reply to kb58 :

Or when you realize the math is off.

 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/23/23 2:47 p.m.

In reply to kb58 :

1973 is 50. 
 

I went into a deusenberg hole after watching that video. Super cool and HOLY CRAP thats a HUGE coupe!

 

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
2/23/23 3:18 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Nope, unfortunately the engine is locked up and I was way too young to drive it before it went into storage. I've played around with the shifter though and it does feel very nice. It's in my dad's garage right now but we'll be selling it soon in its "barn find" condition.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
2/23/23 3:48 p.m.

We went to the Gilmore Museum a few years ago and there happened to be a show for luxury cars from that era. Lots of Cadillacs, Lincolns. Packards, Rolls-Royces and 13 Duesenbergs. The Duesenbergs are such gorgeous cars.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
2/23/23 3:57 p.m.

I remember reading a book on Duesenberg's a lot as a child. Kind of a dream car as a child under the impression what was left were in mueseums. 

I guess prices still make them a dream car lol

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/24/23 8:22 a.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

There always is. 

Growing up, friends of ours had an MGB sitting in the garage–and this was just around the corner from us. 

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
2/24/23 8:29 a.m.

man only 42 more years until my rx8 is valuable as a barn find... 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
2/24/23 8:33 a.m.
jimbob_racing said:

I showed this to my wife and mentioned that my project car hasn't been sitting in the garage for nearly this long. 

She retorted that my car wasn't worth seven figures. 

"Not yet" is the only response. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cpQDG7GVOYxLWmFaeu464oBmoxDXSkSXjUzAjbQMhZs3H4eplsRcF6CE1g3wt1Uz