1 2 3
Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
11/30/10 8:48 a.m.
irish44j wrote: I wouldn't take any of them. If I had the cash to import an AWD turbo car capable of builds over 500hp.... and convert it to US spec legally.....I'd get something much cooler and much rarer that most "JDM fanbois" here in the US have never even heard of. Lancia Delta Integrale Evoluzione The cool factor crushes a GT-R. The aggro looks are what the WRX/STi/Mitsu Evo only WISH they had.... /discussion

Quoted for truth. That is my one and only "once it reaches 25 years, I am buying the nicest one ever and shipping it over here" car.

I only have 8 years until I can get my Evo II

Keith
Keith SuperDork
11/30/10 10:11 a.m.
SVreX wrote: GRM is a bunch of cheapa$$e$. I'm not trying to insult anyone, but it's true, and I'm one of them.

No, the GRM forum is a bunch of cheapa$$e$. GRM readers don't necessarily fit that mould - and not every forum member drives a $500 car either. However, we might have different hero cars than the Skyline, and the response to the Integrale shows that. It's possible that motorsport heritage is more important than video game heritage I know the Skyline has done well in certain circuit races such as the 24 hours at the Nurburgring, but that's not the same as dominating the WRC.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Reader
11/30/10 10:31 a.m.

I'm pretty sure IF it was never legal here.... 25 years isn't going to make it legal here.....

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
11/30/10 10:32 a.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: I'm pretty sure *IF* it was never legal here.... 25 years isn't going to make it legal here.....

Actually, it does.

mndsm
mndsm Dork
11/30/10 10:35 a.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: I'm pretty sure *IF* it was never legal here.... 25 years isn't going to make it legal here.....

Celica is right. The law is an interesting beast- and basically, once the car is 25, you can import however many you want.... they don't need to pass inspection. In Canada it's 15 years, and thats why there's a bunch of r32's up there.

Pumpkin Escobar
Pumpkin Escobar SuperDork
11/30/10 10:43 a.m.
Keith wrote:
SVreX wrote: GRM is a bunch of cheapa$$e$. I'm not trying to insult anyone, but it's true, and I'm one of them.
No, the GRM forum is a bunch of cheapa$$e$. GRM readers don't necessarily fit that mould - and not every forum member drives a $500 car either. However, we might have different hero cars than the Skyline, and the response to the Integrale shows that. It's possible that motorsport heritage is more important than video game heritage I know the Skyline has done well in certain circuit races such as the 24 hours at the Nurburgring, but that's not the same as dominating the WRC.

hrmmm, it may not have been a WRC dominator, but it ( the R32 - skylines re-emergence after the oil crisis) did dominate so purely in Japan and Australian road racing that not only was the Skyline banned from several sanctioned racing series, I believe it was the JTC that was basically dissolved and the JGTC emerged with different classing. playstation may have helped its name become popular in the states, but the R32 Skyline was a purpose built race car watered down for the streets to allow it in a modified street car class, then branded with a familiar-in-Japan name. The hiatus in production allowed for a "from scratch" approach to the "skylines" production engineering. It was made to race.

smog7
smog7 Dork
11/30/10 5:35 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
Celica is right. The law is an interesting beast- and basically, once the car is 25, you can import however many you want.... they don't need to pass inspection. In Canada it's 15 years, and thats why there's a bunch of r32's up there.

hmmm interesting..couple more years for a st205 wrc and a r32 gtr

Zomby woof
Zomby woof Dork
11/30/10 7:53 p.m.
irish44j wrote: I wouldn't take any of them. If I had the cash to import an AWD turbo car capable of builds over 500hp.... and convert it to US spec legally.....I'd get something much cooler and much rarer that most "JDM fanbois" here in the US have never even heard of. Lancia Delta Integrale Evoluzione The cool factor crushes a GT-R. The aggro looks are what the WRX/STi/Mitsu Evo only WISH they had.... /discussion

Meh.

If it was a 2 door, and didn't have that HIDEOUS grille, and wasn't italian....

That car does nothing for me.

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
11/30/10 8:23 p.m.

In reply to mpolans:

If you're thinking about doing a revival of Motorex minus the Japanese hostess clubs and crack cocaine, you're fighting an uphill battle. For starters, you are going to be under a ton of scrutiny by the Feds because instead of doing something useful, they've decided the Skyline is a menace to the fabric of our society and are seizing them:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/03/nissan-skyline-gt-rs-seized-in-california-over-possible-illegal/

Second, it cost Motorex a ton of money to federalize the R33 and "federalize" the R32 and R34, and the owner decided to pass on those savings to the customer. Those safety and emissions modifications added weight and neutered the engines. The F&F craze is thankfully over and most of the people who were clamoring for the GT-R spent more money on neon underglow for their rusty Civics than go-fast parts. That leaves a small pool of buyers for a car that is 8-years-old at the youngest, with hard-to-get parts, that has a history of being illegally imported and crushed by the G-men, and has had its performance blunted by US safety and emissions regulations.

If you're thinking of just importing cars older than the 25-year ban, than feel free, but that's not going to be an easy chore either. I think the greatest issue there is making sure the car makes it to the US in one piece. I remember reading a story in SCC about a Honda Integra Type R (DC5, a.k.a. Acura RSX) that was shipped whole but was stripped of many of its parts when it arrived in the US. Then there may be some resistance by some Japanese to sell you their cars to be brought to Gaijin-land, esp. for classic Skylines.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
11/30/10 9:00 p.m.

R34 GTS thanks, gotta love the RB25DET

irish44j
irish44j Dork
11/30/10 9:58 p.m.
RexSeven wrote: If you're thinking of just importing cars older than the 25-year ban, than feel free, but that's not going to be an easy chore either. I think the greatest issue there is making sure the car makes it to the US in one piece. I remember reading a story in SCC about a Honda Integra Type R (DC5, a.k.a. Acura RSX) that was shipped whole but was stripped of many of its parts when it arrived in the US. Then there may be some resistance by some Japanese to sell you their cars to be brought to Gaijin-land, esp. for classic Skylines.

That's why, when the time comes and I have the money to do something like that, I have every intention of having one of my many military buddies stationed overseas buy the car and have it shipped back with their miltary PCS shipment (military will ship 1 car back for free, IIRC). Then I'll buy it from him when it gets here

I'm not as worried about people stripping parts off an Italian car whose parts won't fit anything in this country, lol....

RoadWarrior
RoadWarrior Reader
11/30/10 10:49 p.m.

If I could get a clean R32 for Canadian prices i'd be down, maybe i could get a piece of land up there , put a mailbox on it and buy me one and drive down here every summer.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
12/1/10 6:14 a.m.
Keith wrote:

I stand corrected.

However, it's the GRM forum to which he is addressing the question, right?

Pumpkin Escobar
Pumpkin Escobar SuperDork
12/1/10 12:04 p.m.

I was wondering, is there any advantage in gobbling up a dozen or so R32s, rent a small warehouse/storage area up in the frigid north, bring them to Canada early, and wait for the ban to lift in the states? is it easier to get them to Canada vs the states? just thinking aloud.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UTOHMyncHw2cECfBJEWg3QMs55EgkeMyIMJ4dj8btna3ByIHNAwPPivzze9sdazo