Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UltimaDork
9/22/18 9:40 p.m.

What is the best way to do test runs over 100mph? (without renting a track?)

A few weeks ago I went to a track day an discovered my car has a strange noise as I approach 100mph. It sounds diff related and I was just in there. Made an adjustment, but how can I test my work before heading off to the track again? Chassis dyno maybe?

I would like to do the Silver State classic within the next few years, but again, how do I test the car up to those speeds (130 mph) before the event?

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
9/22/18 9:50 p.m.

Drag strip? They tend to be more plentiful. Test and tune nights are low cost. Usually they have a fair bit of run off after the finish line, you could continue accelerating/decelerating for a decent amount of time.

Are there any very small, paved airports near you? Maybe they'd let you do some runs for a few bucks. Probably not, but you never know. I see Brighton airport near you is owned by local plane owners. Have any friends there? 

Do you have a truly empty dead end road near you? If you scout it out to ensure there's no literally no chance of someone being on it...

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
9/22/18 10:01 p.m.

I may have approached those speeds on empty interstates late at night, I am a bad person. 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
9/22/18 11:16 p.m.

Personally i wouldn't hesitate to spin my tires up to 100mph on jackstands as long as im in the car and my face is nowhere near them. If it's load related it might not work but it's probably the only simulation you can do without leaving your property. 

octavious
octavious Dork
9/24/18 7:41 a.m.

In front of Volvoclearinghouse's house.  wink

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
9/24/18 7:54 a.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku :

If it’s the rear end gears it won’t matter the speed.  The noise will be the same in first gear as in high gear. 

If it’s the bearings the speed can be done on a sturdy set of jack stands. Just remember to put the jack stand under the  rear axle so U joints/CV joints are at the same angle.  

If it’s aero related a chassis dyno won’t revel itself until you reach 100 mph. I might have tested such a thing on a remote stretch of limited access highway in the early hours of the morning.  

Not before 3:00am when drunks are out and police looking for them. And not after 5:00 am when  early morning workers are sleepily on their way to work.  

Speed limits around here in areas I’ve described are 70 mph. So you would be exceeding it by 30 mph.  How much are you willing to risk?  

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
9/24/18 8:16 a.m.

Chasis dyno near you? A old Water brake type would be best as those can vary the load at any speed.  There getting hard to find theses days as most people just want max power and o2 readings.

jharry3
jharry3 Reader
9/24/18 8:22 a.m.

Jack stands are probably the best for an initial screening, it the noise shows up you got it, if not you are no further behind than you were. 

I would make sure the car is pointed in a safe direction when you spin them up. 

Kind of like the first rule of safe gun handling.  Don't point it at anything you are not willing to destroy.

chaparral
chaparral Dork
9/24/18 8:23 a.m.

Interstate 696. 

For really high-speed work you'll need to go on I-69 outside Flint. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
9/24/18 8:37 a.m.

"Empty highway at witching hour" was also my first thought, if not the best idea cheeky

You could test for downforce-related problems on a dyno by doing runs with ballast in the car. The suspension can't tell the difference between downforce and weight in a straight line cruise...

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
9/24/18 8:48 a.m.

I hear Mexico is the place where all the kids do this. 

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
9/24/18 9:00 a.m.

96 west usually cruises around 90 during commuters hours so a little more that that is just passing.  I prefer 31 north around New Era.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
9/24/18 9:10 a.m.

Yeah, in Michigan? I've been passed solidly while at 85mph so many times. 100 would barely be speeding.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
9/24/18 9:21 a.m.
dculberson said:

Yeah, in Michigan? I've been passed solidly while at 85mph so many times. 100 would barely be speeding.

I was on the NJTP this morning at about 4:30 AM and got passed like I was sitting still while doing 75. 

My top speed on the PATP or I-95 will be neither confirmed nor denied... 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xfR8JfppQ34ycSA6YzQopXFATb0k82sv4g1Mu3BhBzttUqmZejnWLEfOAvQAZAWz