1 2
J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
1/9/24 3:29 p.m.
feature_image

When Honda debuted the Honda 0 Series Saloon concept at CES 2024, it said it “developed the vehicle with a new approach–thin, light and wise.”

Okay, what does that mean?

Basically, they want to make an EV that’s not thick and heavy like many of today's offerings.

Ho…

Read the rest of the story

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
1/9/24 3:49 p.m.

It looks good and could be light but as for thin...maybe in height. It looks kind of like a cyberpunk-styled Pontiac Trans Sport with a roof chop, but the rear end is also reminiscent of the Honda Aerodeck.

Would I trade in my current car for it? Not without knowing any specs cheeky I do like the forged CF wheels and aero bits though.

Oapfu
Oapfu Reader
1/9/24 4:03 p.m.

What are your thoughts? Would you trade your current car in for this?

Nope.  Saloon is not a hatchback.

(IDK if Saloon is even a saloon.)

Honda seems to be implying that thin in the Z direction is somehow a unique idea.  I'd be more interested if it was thin in the Y direction (tandem 2-seater).

Is this just really weird wording, or not even grammatically correct?

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
1/9/24 4:30 p.m.

My first thought went straight to the Bizzarini Manta:

J.A. Ackley
1/9/24 4:33 p.m.

I was thinking it took some design cues from a Pontiac Trans Sport, but the Manta is a convincing argument.

The Trans Sport always reminded me of the Dustbuster, though.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress Dork
1/9/24 7:12 p.m.

Weird Honda is best Honda. Keep in mind the NSX started out looking like this:

brandonsmash
brandonsmash Reader
1/9/24 7:23 p.m.

It gets worse: Have you seen the Space Hub concept?

As we all know, putting your name in illuminated lettering on the back of a vehicle never gets old. For reference, drive behind any Sunfire that shouts PONTIAC at you every time the driver hits the brakes. 

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
1/9/24 7:38 p.m.

I was hoping this would be way thinner, like a Honda Trail or Cub electric motorcycle.

CyberEric
CyberEric SuperDork
1/9/24 10:50 p.m.

I like where their heads are at. A smaller, lighter EV. Yes please.

I like the looks too.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/9/24 11:27 p.m.

Cars this ugly make me want to see how many citations of the verbal morality statute I can get.

jerel77494
jerel77494 New Reader
1/10/24 2:25 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Looks like something from Demolition Man.

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/10/24 2:35 p.m.
brandonsmash said:

It gets worse: Have you seen the Space Hub concept?

As we all know, putting your name in illuminated lettering on the back of a vehicle never gets old. For reference, drive behind any Sunfire that shouts PONTIAC at you every time the driver hits the brakes. 

I imagine that poor ugly Honda concept Looking out the glass at a much nicer looking Canoo.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/10/24 3:06 p.m.

I just want an electric Element with same swinging rear seats and a split hatch.

karatewolf
karatewolf New Reader
1/10/24 3:12 p.m.

Please, someone make a good looking vehicle for the future.  

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
1/11/24 7:33 a.m.
J.A. Ackley said:

The Trans Sport always reminded me of the Dustbuster, though.

When GM came out with that, everyone I know call 'em the" Dustbuster Vans"

Most folks my age remember that name better than we remember the actual Dustbuster. 

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
1/11/24 7:36 a.m.
karatewolf said:

Please, someone make a good looking vehicle for the future.  

The Pontiac Aztec came out... and proved that the bad Sci-Fi movies of the '70s predicted well. Fortunately, it didn't take. 
I hope these don't, either. 

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
1/11/24 7:46 a.m.
93EXCivic said:

I just want an electric Element with same swinging rear seats and a split hatch.

You'd think that'd be easy, and relatively inexpensive. 
Oh, wait. It would be. "Sigh"

I'd rock one, as well. 

J.A. Ackley
1/11/24 8:57 a.m.
93EXCivic said:

My wife would buy that. Honda needs an Element replacement. The fans are getting restless.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
1/11/24 8:59 a.m.

I wish we had gotten the Honda e here.

It seems like it would have been a good starter EV for a lot of people. 

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
1/11/24 9:35 a.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

The front is fugly - at least to me. The rest of the car is great. If a company could release that with the model T concept, instead of the Caddy and Lincolin plan, that would be awesome. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
1/11/24 12:01 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

I like the front most of all. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
1/11/24 12:16 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

I would love that , Demolition Man  or Pillsbury Doughboy ?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/11/24 12:42 p.m.

The market - other than a subset of the sports car community - doesn't care about "light". Heck, a Camaro convertible from 10 years ago weighs more than the heaviest Model 3.  This whole "reveal" from Honda just looks like marketing vaporware. What the heck does "thin" even mean? So I'm just going to ignore it and wait to see what actually happens.

I do wish they'd brought the Honda e to the US, although I suspect it would have struggled in the marketplace because it can't tow 7000 lbs or do a cross country road trip on a single charge. But it would have suited a lot of people in real life. And the original show car was super cute.

As for those who want a new Element, wouldn't it be fun if this was real?

madmrak351
madmrak351 HalfDork
1/11/24 1:19 p.m.

The "new" H emblem looks like the same one on the early Z50 Mini Trails. Circa 1968-1972ish.

Oapfu
Oapfu Reader
1/11/24 1:26 p.m.

Honda e has a surprisingly/stupidly short range, supposed to be ~100mi +/-30% depending on speed.  I don't need or expect an EV to out-cruise a TDI, but it needs to be really inexpensive if it has that short of a range.

There was also a "Sports EV" concept at the same time

Saloon looks about 4.5ft tall?  That's basically same as a Geo Metro, granted a Metro didn't have a battery under the floor.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qSlZ0T4hAvElNis6aKS6p2OoiFNlNOVYnMRHQq6bzIUiRoohhFVR9JxTkXYaGqB0