1 2 3
M030
M030 HalfDork
6/13/12 2:13 p.m.

It was cheap, needs a driver's side floor pan, and was well-loved by the previous owner. She had it 22 years.

I'm sure I can do something cool with it. I'm looking to you, fellow GRMers, to give me some ideas...

PS: I hate big wheels on old cars, so a Pro Touring vibe is out.

ransom
ransom Dork
6/13/12 2:16 p.m.

If I had a Camaro, I'd be back to this thread: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/cp-ride-along/50390/page1/

Ranger50
Ranger50 SuperDork
6/13/12 2:23 p.m.

Grow a mullet?

failboat
failboat Dork
6/13/12 2:26 p.m.

First person to say bumble-bee clone gets punched in the face.

M030
M030 HalfDork
6/13/12 2:27 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote: Grow a mullet?

I'm on it!

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
6/13/12 2:37 p.m.

What's missing from your current stable?

What engine/tranny are in it currently?

Options are pretty wide open, you can turn that thing into any sort of motorsports car you'd ever want (including rally car if you're so inclined) or into a nice comfy cruiser/DD.

Were it mine, I don't know that I'd stray too far off the beaten path. LSx/6-speed from a late-model F-body (or go cheaper with a truck motor/auto), some circle-track parts to get the handling up to snuff, and to make it semi-unique I'd do the exterior up to give it as much of a high-speed police interceptor vibe as I could that was still legal (CA gets bitchy about those things).

Type Q
Type Q Dork
6/13/12 2:37 p.m.

What to do with it? Do donuts on the neighbors lawn. Isn't that what everyone does with a "Bitchin' Camaro."

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Reader
6/13/12 2:39 p.m.

Go roundy-round racing, what else?

stroker
stroker Dork
6/13/12 2:42 p.m.

This, obviously:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/carl-shafer/33538/page1/

M030
M030 HalfDork
6/13/12 2:46 p.m.

In reply to ReverendDexter:

What's missing from my current stable? Horsepower! I seem to have assembled a fleet of "momentum" cars.

The Camaro has a V6/Automatic. So an engine swap is definitely in the cards. However, after driving it home, in it's current state, I can't see how making the car fast is going to make it any more enjoyable.

It rides like a truck and handles like a worn out old Buick. So the first thing to address, I guess, are the driving dynamics. I'm staunchly against huge wheels on old cars, so I'm not sure where to start...

BTW, I love the late model LS/6spd swap idea..

ohms
ohms Reader
6/13/12 2:48 p.m.

read up pozziracing.com, he has some 2nd gen info (i've never looked, im a 1st gen dude) - hes all about better handling and lowbuck ways to do it

engine swap - go for something light - LS1 is obvious choice, but maybe one of the modern GM straight6's or even an ecotec 4....?

fiberglass panels here and there maybe

also, guys have put bmw/porsche wheels on camaros - the bolt patterns are close enough to work, and i think they bore out the center to fit the hub right

Ranger50
Ranger50 SuperDork
6/13/12 2:53 p.m.

I'd be drag racing with all the available CF parts I could find with a 632/PG with 3 kits on 275 radials.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
6/13/12 2:57 p.m.

budget 355, big cam, heads, T-10 and 3.73 posi 10-bolt from a 94-06 B-body for the 9C1, serious suspension work, caged and loud. REALLY REALLY LOUD!

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Reader
6/13/12 2:59 p.m.

Drag racing is clearly the right answer.

I hate big wheels on old cars too. About a 16" is as big as you can go and have it still look OK. But, BFG makes some pretty decent rubber in the 225/50R16-ish size that should do nicely. Circle track parts are cheap and easy for the handling upgrades.

A caddy 425, 472, or 500 engine would really wake that car up and not be any heavier than a SBC. And those engines are essentially free right now, if you can find them installed in some otherwise-worthless 70's caddy, bought for scrap value. Not sure what manny trannies would bolt up, but there's got to be options out there.

Edit: here's an example:

http://asheville.craigslist.org/pts/3064831983.html

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
6/13/12 3:17 p.m.
ransom wrote: If I had a Camaro, I'd be back to this thread: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/cp-ride-along/50390/page1/

My first thought as well... before I even opend the thread.

ArthurDent
ArthurDent HalfDork
6/13/12 3:25 p.m.

I had a '78 Z28 4spd as my first car. I don't remember the handling as being awful. Granted it was in mint and my first car (rose tinted glasses effect perhaps) but we owned a '96 Mustang GT at the same time and the Z28 subjectively seemed to handle better.

If it were mine I'd perhaps find some random, cheap, semi built 350 with an overdrive gearbox. Then replace the suspension bushing, shocks, etc while upgrading to Z28 or WS6 items were possible. I think it would make a fun and not very pricy weekend cruiser.

ThePhranc
ThePhranc Dork
6/13/12 3:36 p.m.

Twin turbo kit off ebay.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
6/13/12 3:37 p.m.

Hot Rod did up a 79 Camaro as their E-rod project. Not sure the LS swap stuff is relavent to you now, but their review of the Hotchkiss suspension parts has been rattling around in my brain for a while. Maybe not as grassroots as people here like it to be what with just purchasing a solution, but maybe something to think about.
Hot Rod Camaro Article

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 HalfDork
6/13/12 3:46 p.m.

My $.02: 16" Corvette wheels from about 84 would look cool on that car.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Reader
6/13/12 3:58 p.m.

Can't remember what magazine it was but it was within the last 365 days I believe... IIRC a guy had his old circle track camaro, caged, lightened etc. and converted it to a street driver only it still looked like a circle track car.

Gonna Goggle the heck out of it and see if I can find it.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/13/12 4:05 p.m.

Sweet. My dad had those wheels on his '78 Camaro.

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous Reader
6/13/12 4:16 p.m.

Embrace your inner mullet.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
6/13/12 4:18 p.m.

I'd agree with Bobzilla and go with a punched out 350 (355). They are dirt cheap , fit perfectly and will supply as much power as you ever could want.

I'd get new leaf springs for the rear, as it seems to be sagging, and new dampers all the way around. Big swaybars from a Z-28 or Trans Am, along with poly bushings and decent rubber. You may also want to grab a quicker steering box from a Z28 or Trans Am. These are not bad handling cars when set up correctly. They are heavy....gut the doors maybe? (those things weigh like 200lbs a piece!)

They will take a ridiculous amount of punishment. Remember this car is essentially the same car The Bandit ran from Buford T. Justice in......that means you can smash mailboxes, jump bridges, hop curbs, and your car won't only never be hurt......it won't even get dirty!

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
6/13/12 4:24 p.m.

I think it's time for a 383 or a 377 with a boatload of NAAWWWZZZZZZ.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Reader
6/13/12 4:45 p.m.

It is already a inline 6. Go with a trailblazer 4200 Vortec then add a turbo or two I think the inline six in those is like 290 hp stock.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ejw3my6XC6d4WInieDKuX8HIFjMTaQqhsC4XOipHsepMlNT0v8oiqnvxKKw5ULvA