1 2 3
xci_ed6
xci_ed6 Reader
11/21/09 6:45 p.m.

On my Civic they were very low also, I had them set ~1/4" above K-sport recommendations to get a 2-2.5" drop.

paulmpetrun
paulmpetrun New Reader
11/21/09 9:49 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Well, Paul, this is obviously your fault. You called tech support with the problem that the K Sport Coilovers' highest setting was 2" lower than stock on a Miata. They said that you needed 20 series tires or 20" tires (or both) and nitrous oxide to fix this. You didn't get 20 something tires and nitrous oxide, so obviously you didn't try their suggestion. How can we infer from this that K Sport has a product that is market to children and not serious car people? Maybe you had the "old" product and the "old" sales rep or tech support guy on the phone, and the "new" product and tech support guy/sales guy is much better now, and they'll have a shock dyno any minute now too.

Hess, I just had a Homer Simpson DOAH moment! DUBS and nawz thats what the underlying advice was, and I just wasn't smart enough follow it. My bad... I really had high hopes for the coil overs. I thought for the price, how bad could they really be. Well, for what I needed and wanted, really bad! And the tech support was absolutely non-existant. It was definately a case of you get what you pay for. For the OP, I'd avoid and definately go for the Koni's, or AGX's. You won't be sorry for the slight bit of extra cash.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
11/22/09 12:19 a.m.
paulmpetrun wrote:
Dr. Hess wrote: Well, Paul, this is obviously your fault. You called tech support with the problem that the K Sport Coilovers' highest setting was 2" lower than stock on a Miata. They said that you needed 20 series tires or 20" tires (or both) and nitrous oxide to fix this. You didn't get 20 something tires and nitrous oxide, so obviously you didn't try their suggestion. How can we infer from this that K Sport has a product that is market to children and not serious car people? Maybe you had the "old" product and the "old" sales rep or tech support guy on the phone, and the "new" product and tech support guy/sales guy is much better now, and they'll have a shock dyno any minute now too.
Hess, I just had a Homer Simpson DOAH moment! DUBS and nawz thats what the underlying advice was, and I just wasn't smart enough follow it. My bad... I really had high hopes for the coil overs. I thought for the price, how bad could they really be. Well, for what I needed and wanted, really bad! And the tech support was absolutely non-existant. It was definately a case of you get what you pay for. For the OP, I'd avoid and definately go for the Koni's, or AGX's. You won't be sorry for the slight bit of extra cash.

That's the problem.... for the OP, neither is available.

DG
DG New Reader
4/6/10 10:16 a.m.

This has been a very enlightening discussion...real experience not how low can you go...I have been trying to find a reliable coilover but always get the site propaganda.

Koni and Bilstein have a name reputation but usually only make the best parts for late model cars. I like the fully threaded K Sport design and their build quality seems good but....I have no experience.

Has anyone used B&G coilovers or AST? These companies seem to have similar product origin but there is a big difference in price. KW is another company that has been making coilovers and seem to have good product testing (salt and longevity). The only one of these that has a fuly threaded design is B&G.

STS_ZX2
STS_ZX2 New Reader
4/6/10 10:33 a.m.

AST is very high quality stuff.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
4/6/10 10:42 a.m.

Our MX-5 STR project will be using K&Ws. I'm using H&R RSS Club Sports on the Golf. We had ASTs on a prior Subaru--they rocked. The short answer is that good coilover kits aren't cheap--figure on at least $1500. But, you wind up with a nicely balance of spring and shock---without the need for experimentation.

If you're going to experiment with spring rates, then you just need to go out and buy a good shock (Koni/Bilstein/etc), Ground-Control coilover conversions and listen to what the folks at GC recommend for spring rates as a starting point. You can usually get that done for about $1k for most cars.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
4/6/10 10:50 a.m.

I'm still enjoying my Megan Racing coilovers, no reliability problems. I will probably replace with something higher up in the food chain if it's ever made for my car, though. But nothing will be made, so i'll probably just stick with 'em.

iceracer
iceracer HalfDork
4/6/10 12:54 p.m.
KSport_Matt wrote: Good morning guys! In response to questions about that shock dyno posted honestly that was supposedly done about 2-3 years ago by a Koni rebuild center in California, we can't verify what shock was dyno'd, if it was new, under what temperature or other conditions so I'm not really sure what to say there. If anyone is in Arizona, or is going to be visiting our fine state please feel free to PM, email, or call me and you're more than welcome to come down and take a tour of our facilities.
rwdsport wrote: ... Also, was the change to Ksport the *only* change Tage made? Did he perhaps change some other setting that may be attributed... could be attributed to noise from other adjustments...
I just spoke to Tage, and he said that the only change he has made is the suspension,. He is using our Off-the-Shelf Kontrol Pro kit, with custom spring rates. He is using 14kg/mm in the front, and 12kg/mm out back.
iceracer
iceracer HalfDork
4/6/10 12:56 p.m.

14kg/mm Any body transfer that to lbs per inch ?

1slowcrx
1slowcrx Reader
4/6/10 1:10 p.m.

14 (kg / mm) = 783.963804 pounds per inch

iceracer
iceracer HalfDork
4/6/10 5:43 p.m.

Yeah, that is what I come up with. Just thought that was a high spring rate for a coil over. Am I missing something ? Motion ratio, heavy car ? Just curious.

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 Reader
4/7/10 12:38 a.m.

I would stay away from K Sport. I have never ran them on any of my cars but a friend of mine used to work for them...

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
4/7/10 8:22 a.m.
iceracer wrote: Yeah, that is what I come up with. Just thought that was a high spring rate for a coil over. Am I missing something ? Motion ratio, heavy car ? Just curious.

For a time attack Honda, i don't think that's that far out of the ordinary. Also gotta figure he's got a LOT of motor up front, lots of weight.

I run about 600lb springs up front.

STS_ZX2
STS_ZX2 New Reader
4/7/10 8:48 a.m.

...we run 650F/550R on ZX2 ST car.

iceracer
iceracer HalfDork
4/7/10 9:53 a.m.

OK. I first converted the kg/mm to lbs/inch out of curiosity and was surprised at how high. Interesting, never the less.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gZ0f5DU9vAaqU1FvhKgYnBfyRAJhpvxACXlFNHP1ixI2HKzU4btdiwPkw6q8ta2M