1 2
Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/11/08 8:38 a.m.

Dan, you hang out with us. How could your standards get any lower?

44Dwarf
44Dwarf New Reader
8/11/08 11:58 a.m.

http://nh.craigslist.org/car/777202158.html

4x8 enclosed. No picts.... :(

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
8/11/08 12:47 p.m.

I see motorcycle trailers on Craig's List from time to time, just passed on a nice $300 on locally. Probably stupid of me.

I am unfamiliar with the HF trailer, but if you have to do a lot of work to convert something, why not start with a used boat trailer? They are heavy duty, and when someone has a trailer with no boat, they really want to get rid of it!

As for enclosed, Home Depot sells a line of small enclosed trailers. No idea if they suck or not, but they often have them on sale.

Another option is to have me ride the bike South for you. I swear, in a week or two, it will be there!

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
8/12/08 5:37 a.m.

I've never had a torsion axle, the ones I see are rated for 2000lbs. Is the resistance progressive or is it harsh all the time with little or no weight on it?

Dan

44Dwarf
44Dwarf New Reader
8/12/08 6:54 a.m.

Dan i just picked up another trailer (I'm up to 4 in the yard...) Sat a 20 foot wells cargo. It's got springs and tows great.
My 18 foot 9800lbs open trailer (fatory built) has twin torsion type axles it also tows great.

I like to torsion better my self as the action is more progressive and feels like theres shock abosrbers on it even knowing there is not. One thing i noted on the open trailer that i would not have thought a trailer factory would do is they put on the front axle facing forward and the rear face rearward. I would have tought theyd put both faceing rearward that is to say the beam of the axle should be ahead of the wheel. This would allow the wheel more DWELL time in a bump as the wheel trailers Up the wheel base get longer alowing the wheel to absorb the bump long in time. But it tows fine.

With twin torsion type loading is more critical !! they are not conected with equalizers so you must keep both loaded by checking ride heights before and after you load so you don't over load one set of tires.

Trailer list. 1) 6x10 open trailer with moble home dead axle (no springs just 1 leaf 1.5 inches thick no shackles)

2) Home built 18 foot truck box on old RV trailer. twin axle 949 hubed with brakes. Tows like crap over 55mph (now becoming a wood shed for 6 cords of heating wood! :)

3) 18 foot 9800lbs open trailer (fatory built) has twin torsion type axles. Tried to buy this before makeing #2 but could not get the owner to sell. 2 days after i finished #2 they called....We need some help will trade 2 sat of work for trailer.....

4) 20 foot Wells Cargo car hauler with doors on both sides and drive up ramp. older 1986 unit but still soild except it need a wire harness.....

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/12/08 7:45 a.m.

I wonder why they would turn the front axle 'backwards'? All the torsion axle setups I have seen show both axles trailing.

According to Dexter's site, the average wheelbase change for the torsion axle is something like .625, IIRC. The exact amount and whether it goes front or back depends on the start angle of the arm.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf New Reader
8/12/08 1:53 p.m.

I've got no idea but its factory built that way. Theyd rub other wise. Funny thing on this trailer. I helped purcase it in 93 and used it there untill 95 when i left. Came back full time in 2005-2007 left then ended up with it. Well balanced unit. No need for WD hitch or sway bars. Only problem is its open and i needed enclosed as i leave my car up near the track as its 210 miles from home at $3.99 i can't haul it back any more.

grtechguy
grtechguy SuperDork
8/12/08 3:59 p.m.

$120... custom bike trailer http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/793349717.html

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
8/13/08 5:51 a.m.

44 Dwarf sent me this one, I'm bringing cash to look at it tomorrow after work. I couldn't build one for $700. (yeah, he already came down) and it has electric brakes too.

Thanks Tony !!

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/rvs/790050762.html

44Dwarf
44Dwarf New Reader
8/13/08 6:14 a.m.

Any time my freind.

just in case you need fuel

http://autos.msn.com/everyday/GasStations.aspx?m=1&l=1&zip=01056

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/13/08 8:57 a.m.

Like I said, Plan C allows more beer drinkin'.

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
8/13/08 10:07 a.m.
44Dwarf wrote: Any time my freind. just in case you need fuel http://autos.msn.com/everyday/GasStations.aspx?m=1&l=1&zip=01056

Wow! Why do they call you Taxachussets? I pay $0.20 more/gal.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf New Reader
8/16/08 8:19 a.m.

Well???????????? did you buy it?

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
8/16/08 8:27 a.m.

WOOOHHOOOOOOOOO !!

44Dwarf sent me a link to a trailer in western Massachussets. I towed it home Thursday after dropping seven $100 bills on the guy. Pulls fine and has electric brakes.

Thanks Tony!

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/rvs/794228507.html

44Dwarf
44Dwarf New Reader
8/17/08 7:41 a.m.

Great!

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UberDork
3/20/12 5:36 a.m.

I've got an old 4x8 HF trailer, it's about 20 years old now. It's been used so much that the first set of tires actually wore out.

It's been dead nuts reliable, and perfectly capable of carrying a motorcycle. In fact, it's been about the best motorcycle loading trailer I've ever used. The bed tips down when you release the tilt pin. Stand on the end of the trailer as you roll the bike up, and it will stay down until both bike wheels are on. Easy-peasy loading.

Having the dohicky for the front wheel makes loading the bike easier and more secure, but then it gets in the way when loading boards and mulch. Several ratchet straps have worked just fine for me.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/20/12 8:00 a.m.

This three year old thread got resurrected by a canoe?

Time to knock Amelia out of the sky.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Dork
3/20/12 8:03 a.m.

Ya 3 post and all trailer related and old ones at that.

you shouldn't be towing a BMW anyway. Ride the damn thing. Towing is for the HD crowd!

In all seriousness though, I have been well served by a tilt-deck utility trailer. They are hard to find now as they all seem to have the built in ramps (parachutes in other words) that fold up behind. I hate those. You want something that takes a regular size car wheel and not those tiny little lawn mower sized wheels. Those small wheels turn uber-fast at highway speed which is hard on the bearings. Regardless of wheel size, check (repack) your bearings frequently....even with a brand new trailer!

My trailer has been all over the United States pulled behind everything from a CJ5 to an F350 dually.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/20/12 12:13 p.m.

Since this was started, I bought a MC track that goes on a trailer, with a detachable ramp for $10 at a grage sale.

Put it on your not so used landscape trailer.

Dan

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0n19I6tjeaIkaM6YMBSovAsiHDUQMKpE3CFoOI6JH3DrBexiURwYdhNub1gn4YCU