fritzsch
fritzsch Reader
7/9/12 9:22 p.m.

Hey,

So I might have a line on an old FSAE car, just a couple years old. Mostly complete, I believe it needs a diff, a diff tensioner, wheels/tires, and maybe some assorted putting together. I am not sure about the electronics, but I imagine it would be a pain in the ass, so I was thinking switch to a carbed engine? The FSAE car has a bunch of sensors and stuff that were used for tuning and an expensive MoTec that I think was used on a different car.
Price is ~$500, wheels and tires are probably going to be pretty expensive, a diff wont be terribly cheap either.
What would you guys do?

I will get back to you with some more info after I see it in the next couple days.

sporqster
sporqster Reader
7/9/12 10:01 p.m.

In reply to fritzsch:

There should be at least a half dozen term papers detailing every system that is or was on the car. Try to get that in the deal.

Graefin10
Graefin10 Dork
7/9/12 10:34 p.m.

In reply to fritzsch: You sure couldn't build it for that.

Not long ago there was one listed for 1K I think it was. turned out it was a 250cc. Still if my circumstances were a little different I would have seriously considered that one. It had wheels, tires and would run.

ransom
ransom Dork
7/9/12 11:56 p.m.

How much wiring is needed to run an FSAE car? Megasquirt sounds like the answer to me. Especially with all the sensors there...

Tuning and datalogging. Sounds like it's already set up for you to learn this stuff, thereby optimizing the car and learning how to analyze setup. Why move away from that?

RXBeetle
RXBeetle Reader
7/10/12 2:02 a.m.

What engine was / is in it? Our car (Oakland University) is up and running on MS3. It took some leg work but it runs great. I do the wiring and to do it "right" it takes a TON of work and planing. Just to get it running takes a day; well a FSAE day which may include multiple calendar days... We also have some old wheels we are looking to sell if you are interested. As to the term papers, "should be" but may not be any documentation at all. Many schools do not have any courses relating to the car design / build. FSAE is a student organization at my school, just like the Quidditch club....

fasted58
fasted58 UltraDork
7/10/12 6:55 a.m.

needs pics

loudes13
loudes13 New Reader
7/10/12 7:03 a.m.

z31maniac
z31maniac UberDork
7/10/12 7:50 a.m.

It sounds like you'll end up having more in it than it would be worth, so I'd only do it if you REALLY want one.

fasted58
fasted58 UltraDork
7/10/12 8:00 a.m.

I been jonesin' for a project like that. I'll take it if Fritzsch don't want it... hook me up dude.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
7/10/12 9:00 a.m.

The solution to wiring problems is carb'd bike engine swap.

fritzsch
fritzsch Reader
7/10/12 11:39 a.m.

Yeah I was thinking a carb'd bike engine swap would be the easier way to get it running. The car was powered by a Honda F4i. I hope to be able to get the tech papers, I believe there should be, its taken as a class at this school. I also will have some friends who would at least be able to help me out with the fabrication of custom parts.
Ill take pictures tomorrow, I doubt it will look as good as the complete car loudes13 posted, but thats the general idea.

ransom
ransom Dork
7/10/12 11:53 a.m.

I'm a little puzzled by the popularity of the push to carbs...

It already has the engine and sensors for injection in place, and just needs an ECU?

No lights, no A/C, no chassis wiring to speak of... Wiring an MS just isn't that complicated, and with all the sensors already there (and injectors), most of the fiddly bits are already done.

What does it have for a fuel pump? You'll have to change that out to go to carbs, assuming it has one that pushes 3 bar for the injection...

OTOH, some folks just hate wires. Fair enough. I'm sure that thing would be a blast to drive regardless of how the fuel gets delivered.

nocones
nocones Dork
7/10/12 12:04 p.m.

The big problem with old FSAE cars is you have no where to really play with them. They aren't big enough for Amod without mods and you can't run the FSAE class without meeting the rules in effect at the year of competition. Also they generally run MASSIVLY expensive custom uprights, diffs, driveline components. All of this is over-comable but look at it as if the car is worth $500 in parts that will get you further along the road to building an Amod car. You may be able to convert it to solid rear axle, solid suspension and run it as an F500/F600 car fairly easily. That may be an option. I had an option to get the car I designed for my FSAE and I didn't really want to pay for the upkeep so I passed.

fritzsch
fritzsch Reader
7/10/12 12:28 p.m.

To run the FSAE class I would need to run the restrictor as well?

chaparral
chaparral Reader
7/10/12 2:31 p.m.

The answer to old FSAE car problems is to remove the existing engine and drivetrain, replace it with a Honda CBR1000RR (if a four) or an XR600 (if a single), keep the stock bike wiring harness intact, put a Taylor Race Engineering driveline in it, and run it as an "outlaw open modified" in autox.

It'll cost more than you think. It will go faster than you can drive it.

unevolved
unevolved Dork
7/10/12 5:30 p.m.
fritzsch wrote: To run the FSAE class I would need to run the restrictor as well?

Yep. It'll have to be legal for the rules of the year it competed.

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
7/10/12 6:17 p.m.

If you decide to pass, post up the selling information. I'll buy it and tell everyone it's a locost. Seriously though. If the $500 is a price for anyone, I'll go pick it up this weekend.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8UkOzx6kZVnlpNK4ZPlBIqWqDzBcNfrUhekXkNfVgHNROfHBE92RdFx8zEdslbw5