3 4 5 6 7
DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
6/4/09 11:45 a.m.

MK3's were the beginning of the end for me. That was the first time I looked at a golf and said "IT WEIGHS HOW MUCH!?!!"

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
6/4/09 12:34 p.m.

Some A3s are light...my A3 Sport was under 2400lbs.....They're not all V6s.

dyintorace
dyintorace Dork
6/5/09 11:48 a.m.

Per...here is one for sale in Hollywood, FL. I'm not up on the A2, A3, A4 chassis code, but this one seems to be a good start for a fun car.

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/1197891338.html

1986 GTI 2.0 16v

I built this car from a worn out 8v GTI shell with my own two hands. The shell has about 125k miles, but the rest of the car is much newer. I swore I’d never sell it, but the world is what it is, and I can’t finish it… I’m writing a ton of info because I don’t want to answer a lot of stupid questions. It’s a little rough in some ways, but very good in others. The car is in Hollywood, FL, and because of work and personal commitments I can’t really ‘meet’ you anywhere outside of the area, you’ll have to come to me if you want to drive it. If you’re truly interested, contact me ASAP, if you are just ‘feeling’ things out, please move on. I am asking only $2200(REDUCED), and here are the details:

Engine and transmission were completely rebuilt 10 years ago for my 88 GLI before moving into this GTI 6 years ago but only 2000 miles on rebuild! The rest of the mechanical bits have been overhauled or replaced since then – and I mean everything.

I was going to build the car for SCCA Rallycross or Rally, but other things just kept coming up. I’m a mechanically minded person, not an artistic one; so the car is solid, straight and runs perfectly, but needs some TLC when it comes to the looks of the body/interior. There is virtually no rust (some very slight surface stuff here and there on undercar bits) - , and all of the mechanical parts and fasteners are clean and ready to work. Mechanically, it’s like a time machine set back to 1988. So you won’t have busted knuckles from old frozen rusty bolts. So you can have fun driving, or spend time on the interior.

I did most of the work several years ago, so I don’t remember all of the specifics. But I’m a stickler for good parts, so if there was a choice, I bought the better one. I had money at the time, so I didn’t skimp on anything mechanical.

This is a great platform for a resto-rod, with all authentic factory parts-bin upgrades (No crappy ‘rice’ here). Or build it for race duty. It’s a 1986 so it’s going to start to fall into the ‘vintage’ category soon!

Bottom end- 2.0 block from Passat with oil squirters, rifle-bored rods, bored 1st oversize with Mahle pisons. Block was bored with torque plate in place, and decked slightly. Pistons are stock compression, but the overall package is slightly higher compression than stock because of the block and head work.

Top end- Total overhaul. 1.8 16v head from GLI, mild polish, mild shave, new valves and grind, European intake cam, new lifters and springs.

Running gear- All belts (including timing), hoses, wires, etc. in top condition. All pumps have been replaced (both fuel pumps, water pump, oil pump). There is a very minor leak in the cam cover gasket, on the front of the motor, probably from lack of use, and may seal back up with use. This car sits sometimes for 2 months, but I’ve never needed to jump-start, or use any kind of starter fluid spray – it starts and runs like a new 1988 car – seriously. I’m leaving the car and engine bay as they are – not doing a cleaning so you can see exactly what condition everything is.

Transmission- 020 9A (but I need to double check) from a 89(?) GTI, rebuilt by a VW racing shop when the engine was out. Oversized (from VR6 I think?) stock clutch on lightly resurfaced flywheel. Adjustable short-shift linkage. Fresh front axles, transmission flanges are larger, 100mm units (?) if I remember correctly, so if you need replacements, they need to come from a newer car.

Ignition/Intake – all stock 1.8 16v GLI, but fresh Bosch parts. Runs perfectly and starts every time. Idle is a little high at about 1050 rpm – think there is a very small vacuum leak I haven’t found. A year ago it was idling perfectly.

Exhaust- Galvanized system from Techtonics for the GLI – with tailpipe cut to fit the GTI. New aftermarket catalytic converter – sailed through Maryland emissions 3 years ago before I moved out of state!

Suspension- Boge Turbo Gas all around Eibach springs lowering about 1”. Front sway bar links are removed to take out some understeer. Fresh strut bearings, ball joints, lower control arms and bushings, fresh tie-rods.

Brakes- 4 wheel disc. Fresh rebuilt calipers in back 2 years ago. Fronts are larger than stock – from a 93 Golf if I remember correctly, and larger master cylinder to match. Fresh pads and rotors all around. New wheel bearings all around.

Wheels and tires- As shown in pictures. New 2 years ago from Tire Rack. Can still see stickers on the tires! Alignment is perfect.

Body- Absolutely no body rust. Driver’s side floor pan got replaced when I bought the car because the sunroof leaked. I replaced the sunroof, and almost all weather-stripping around the car. All glass is good. Panels have a few wrinkles from door-dings etc., but no fiberglass filler/Bondo anywhere. Bigger front bumpers, with all working lights. 4-light grill, with H4’s. Driving lights are wired to come on with the high-beams. The paint on the current sunroof is a little scuffed because I didn’t line it up properly at first.

Car was originally black, was re-sprayed at Maaco in 2004 to match my Impreza WRX. At the time, I was still preparing the car for rallycross, so I wasn’t worried about perfect looks…

Car also has a very tough CNC cut aluminum skid plate in great condition protecting the engine from below.

Interior- Is rough. This was going to be a race car, so I didn’t care about finding replacement stock pieces, and a lot of weight-saving stuff was done. Has Momo wheel and shift knob. Back seats are original 1986 GTI. Front Seats are Recarros from 1988 GLI and are in rough shape. Passenger not so bad, but driver needs reupholstered. All of the trim for the E-brake and shift console is missing.

Power windows work fine. Don’t have a key for rear hatch. Manual sunroof works, only have driver’s side wiper (passenger side bolt is stripped, but have the arm). Have original stock front speakers, but crappy Kenwood CD player doesn’t really work very well. Power locks have been disabled, and all parts for it are removed. Carpet is dirty, from the 88 GLI. There is no sound-deadening material under it, was removed to replace floor pan and repair the old rust.

The car was born with A/C, and was working fine before I did the engine swap and broke the condenser – which is now missing. The other A/C gear including the compressor is still in place. Heat and heater core work fine (At least the last time I needed it – I live near Miami, so not much use for it now!)

I’m asking $2200 REDUCED!. If you look at it like this, it’s a serious bargain: Clean rebuilt Trans - $700 Excellent engine; streetable / semi-race - $1500 Complete disc brake upgrade/conversion - $600 The entire rest of the car including new wheels/tires - $200 The joy of true GTI ownership – Priceless.

I WILL NOT PART OUT ANYTHING – so please do not ask. If you want parts, buy the whole car, and part it out yourself.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
6/5/09 11:54 a.m.

Yowsers... that sounds fun!

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Reader
6/5/09 9:58 p.m.

For reference my Mk3 is 2450 in race prep with me in it (200 almost on the dot). They're not that heavy once you take some stupid off of them.

JohnW
JohnW New Reader
6/7/09 10:17 p.m.

Saw this on Craigslist:

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/1209461583.html

seeker589
seeker589 New Reader
6/8/09 9:08 a.m.

Per -

I've had two '92 Jettas and a '86 'Rocco.

Since the 'Rocco is off the table - I have always liked lowered A2 and A3 Golf four doors with some nice stretched 13s (13x7 or 8 w/ 205/60s or 215/50s) or reasonable 15s (15x7 w/195 or 205/50s). Kind of like the rims you had on your two door A2 Jetta in your book - both the AutoX rims and the street ones - they both looked good.

Nice exhaust and a badgeless grill with a grill spoiler - RS bumper cover. http://www.estrictlyforeign.com/asp/product.asp?category=1&ID=256

OK - I'm just a Dubber at heart.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Reader
6/8/09 12:34 p.m.
dyintorace wrote: Per...here is one for sale in Hollywood, FL. I'm not up on the A2, A3, A4 chassis code, but this one seems to be a good start for a fun car.

That one's an A2 (lotza dub guys say "Mark 2", borrowed from the European guys on vwvortex). 85-92.

And If I had some money right now, I think I'd go get the one you posted. I've driven my 8v since it was new, and I'd like a 16v just for berkeleys & grins. Looks like that guy was on the way to building a pretty nice car.

"Er ist bereit zum start, Wie er braust, Wie er saust, GTI!" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECRTebW56Wg&feature=related

After listening to Per & Paul talk about these A3s, though I'm tempted to build one m'self...

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Reader
6/8/09 12:43 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: MK3's were the beginning of the end for me. That was the first time I looked at a golf and said "IT WEIGHS HOW MUCH!?!!"

ROFL! I resemble that remark. They didn't have one on the lot without power windows. I think it was the first time I asked a dealer, "..so when are we getting the Lupo?"

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Reader
6/10/09 1:43 p.m.

I'm also sick of doing engine swaps, Mk3 is perfection.

angusmf
angusmf New Reader
6/10/09 1:52 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: Whatever happened to angus mcfangus and his sweet MK1? I didn't like MK1's until I saw his restoration.

Lurking. The car is laid up in NH. It's for sale, but more than Per is looking to spend.

Per Schroeder
6/10/09 2:04 p.m.

I'm also looking for a stock/near stock car to build...Angus's car is essentially done. Beautiful car.

I've got a line on a hardtop A3 and am still looking for a decent hardtop A2. I think that's my 'no compromise' point as sunroofs just suck on a racey car.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Reader
6/11/09 10:43 a.m.

You're telling me.. I have a whole roof clip waiting for the right moment in time.

wannabewrench
wannabewrench New Reader
6/11/09 11:00 a.m.

Didnt Per just bought a 911?

Per Schroeder
6/11/09 1:10 p.m.

Nope, that's David.

I do have a Neon for sale. Oh yea, and a Saab. Damn. Maybe I should ebay them both.

Actually, I think Bill Cuttitta is getting the Neon.

docwyte
docwyte New Reader
6/11/09 2:24 p.m.

Local guy here has been trying to sell an A2 4 door with a VR6 in it for awhile. You should buy it.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Reader
6/11/09 2:24 p.m.

The black Neon ACR? How much?

the mrs would kill me..

Per Schroeder
6/11/09 4:02 p.m.

$2500. firm.

BadgerSpeed
BadgerSpeed New Reader
6/12/09 9:42 p.m.

Possibly interesting VW... it is a little far but I'm sure you could find a local up here that would know more about a VW than I do to check it out http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/1216334402.html

Per Schroeder
6/14/09 4:39 p.m.

funny how it says, "rust free PA car"

anyhoo, found a 92 Montana Green 8v GTi that's a few hours away. Just need to go look at it and hope it's not sold by the time I've got my cashola together.

docwyte
docwyte New Reader
6/14/09 10:29 p.m.

Those are craptacular. Skip!

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
6/14/09 11:39 p.m.

Why must the ACR say goodbye?

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Reader
6/15/09 2:13 a.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: funny how it says, "rust free PA car" anyhoo, found a 92 Montana Green 8v GTi that's a few hours away. Just need to go look at it and hope it's not sold by the time I've got my cashola together.

Per, a 92? An A2? And an 8v as well? I feel like a drug pusher that's made a successful sale.

I love the Monty Green, but IIRC, it was a "mo money" option back then. The 16v in the showroom was that color. I asked the salesman about it before I took the plunge on my black 8v, and he said that it cost money-and that I'd have to wait for one. Not an option with my old BMW 2002 dead in the driveway (dropped intake valve seat), and a 6-mo old kid to take to day care the next week...

Jump on it if you've got the cash, dude. Monty Green cars are like waving a cape in front of a bull to us A2 guys.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Reader
6/15/09 7:40 p.m.

Per get the Mk3..

Per Schroeder
6/15/09 7:46 p.m.

But you're not biased or anything

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xpEnxbWjtdVO8fUiDzhN1J4QaprZMzqP9Ey7rCyLvJiNQM7gQ0OnCiafg3LIMOct