Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
10/21/19 12:01 p.m.

My sitting for 26 years engine may actually be good but I doubt it. How much in parts am I looking at?  Figure I pull it and rebuild it in the living room. Challenge budget so parts only count. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
10/21/19 12:07 p.m.

Watching with interest....indecision

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
10/21/19 12:11 p.m.

You have a shade tree in your living room?

Stampie
Stampie UltimaDork
10/21/19 12:16 p.m.

In reply to EvanB:

Maybe.  I mean if you're going redneck it then you might as well go all in. 

tomtomgt356
tomtomgt356 Reader
10/21/19 12:26 p.m.

Atkins has rebuild kits from $300-$2,100 depending on engine and what parts you need. You might be able to piece specific parts cheaper, but you won't know what you need till you pull it apart.

https://www.atkinsrotary.com/store/Rebuild-Kit-Chart.html

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
10/21/19 2:27 p.m.

You won't know what you need until you open it up and measure things.

Guaranteed you should replace the apex, corner, and side seal springs.  Have been burned by reusing, and the apex springs seem to die fast regardless.  

I make my own coolant O rings out of cord stock from McMaster-Carr.  That and a Harbor Freight O-ring kit and some Right Stuff will do the engine.  I generally buy intake gaskets and use the RX-8 front cover gasket (it is reusable, and doesn't blow out under oil pressure) and use Right Stuff or high temp silicone for exhaust.

If you need apex seals, I use Atkins but they do need to be clearanced properly.  I only use Mazda corner and side seals.  When you get it apart I'll show you some things to measure that the FSM doesn't tell you, like how to measure the side seals for wear.  (Side seals are select-fit for length, you need to keep them in order)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SJvwH2d58RRa0plq9vi584CyJsPJBeLKRxMPMr6bK8GU0I5FyNtFcgAhYjyUwkTM