1 2
jikelly
jikelly New Reader
8/6/08 11:12 a.m.

So I await to hear word from the SCCA officials, but the questionability of driving my car in autocrosses has me thinking maybe it's time to start fresh with a new car.

I'd asked you guys long ago about the feasibility of installing shoulder belts in my stang. I was thinking I could just pickup some new seats and do 4 point harnesses. That was shot down as dumb without a rollbar/cage. Ugh, I'm trying to avoid installing a rollbar/cage though because I don't want to make my rear seats unusable. Which is what I think might be needed if I want to safely drive my old car at autocrosses.

So do I make my 73 stang a two seater, or do I sale my old girl whom I've spent countless hours with and rebuilt to my own specifications. I LOVE driving my old car. I don't get to do it often enough and I know I'll seriously miss having it around if I were to sale her.

My brother pointed out that I might as well give up the back seats because I never use them now anyway. Really there is not much room back there for people legs. However it is fine for hauling kids around. Course the safety level is not very high since I only have lap belts installed. And if we were to roll the car there is nothing to offer protection there.

Ok, so if I were to sale my stang I'd probably try to find a cheap sports car that's easy to work on to replace it. Maybe an older Corvette. I do like having a drop top, but having a hard top has lots of advantages. I know, the answer is a Miata. Um, honestly I've always thought they looked kinda bland though. I really like the Solstice, but I can't afford one and I like playing with my cars. I was very, very impressed with the SRT8 Challenger I drove and have been thinking if I struggle I could maybe afford a V6 model. My brother points out that I wouldn't be very happy going from my V8 to a V6 though.

Anyway, I want to know what you guys think about it. Should I just do the rollbar and lose the rear seats, or should I start over with a "new" car?

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords New Reader
8/6/08 11:14 a.m.

Why does putting in a rool bar (or hoop) require giving up the rear seats?

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/6/08 11:20 a.m.

saleing the car would be difficult.

Try selling it.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
8/6/08 11:20 a.m.

what do you want for it? wait, im broke, damnit

Salanis
Salanis Dork
8/6/08 11:28 a.m.
jikelly wrote: I LOVE driving my old car. I don't get to do it often enough and I know I'll seriously miss having it around if I were to sale her. My brother pointed out that I might as well give up the back seats because I never use them now anyway.

I believe you answered your own question.

If you really are concerned that this vehicle isn't suitable for the use you want to put it to, find an old beater Miata/E30/Civic/240sx/Volvo/something for cheap so you can enjoy your classic baby as a classic baby, and enjoy an Auto-X car as an Auto-X car.

DD the classic car more. Buy yourself some glasses that make you look like Steve McQueen.

jikelly
jikelly New Reader
8/6/08 11:33 a.m.
ManofFewWords wrote: Why does putting in a rool bar (or hoop) require giving up the rear seats?

It's possible for a person's head to com in contact with the roll bar.

jikelly
jikelly New Reader
8/6/08 11:33 a.m.
ignorant wrote: saleing the car would be difficult. Try selling it.

Oops, did I do that?

jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
8/6/08 11:37 a.m.

A few other choice you have given are:

Vette - 2 seater

Miata - 2 seater

Solstice - 2 seater

Looks like you might be headed to a 2 seater with a rollbar attached anyway?

What do you like more about the Mustang.

1. Driving it with kids in the back?

2. Racing it?

The answer should help you decide.

Can you fashion a roll bar that still keeps your entire helmet under the bar? If your head sticks over the bar then the SCCA will not allow you to use upper body restraint (sholder belts) anyway.

Mental
Mental SuperDork
8/6/08 11:45 a.m.

Dude, I just bought a Neon for $200. DO NOT SELL THAT CAR.

Keep the Mustang, you will regret it. Either do the bar or get a beater and autocross it.

You will regret it. Autocrossing is very cool, but you are considering giving up a classic, that you love and have put a lot of sweat into for, at best, 50 minutes of track time a year

aircooled
aircooled Dork
8/6/08 11:59 a.m.

I had a similar quandary with my 65 Corvair. I really wanted a roll bar with side impact protection (something about getting t-boned that inspires that sort of thinking) but also wanted to keep the rear seats (which are probably about as small as the Mustangs).

What I did was install a 6 point bar. The four point are pretty traditional (rear package shelf and floor to the rear of the door opening. The two front points run from near the front of the seats, by the lower side of the seats then come up slightly (~40 deg) to meet the upright. Front seat entry is not affected since I have somewhat "racey" seats with high sides. It makes rear seat entry a bit more difficult (you have to step over the bar) but not that bad. The car is low enough that you are pretty much stepping down into it anyway. Certainly good for kids. The only real concern with head clearance are the bars to the package shelf, but those are a bit high for kids, and could be padded if needed.

If you do something similar, make sure to allow room for the window cranks on the rear windows and not to have the bar set to high, so you can still install and remove a headliner (you only really need about an inch clearance).

The general conclusion was that I really don't use the back seat much and have not yet put the rear seat back in (it is pretty easy to remove) after taking it out for an AutoX at least a year ago, but it is nice to know I can if I need to.

Salanis
Salanis Dork
8/6/08 12:01 p.m.

Another thing to consider... if you put a roll-bar in this vehicle, it means you're prepared to roll it. You probably won't roll it, but you're admitting that you'll use it in situations where there is the potential for that.

Would it bother you to to ball up your nice classic at the track? Would you be freaked out if a runaway grocery cart bashed in your passenger side door?

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
8/6/08 12:17 p.m.

I'mmmmmmm saaaaaiilllllingggg aaaawwaaaayyyy....

Xceler8x
Xceler8x Reader
8/6/08 12:31 p.m.

If you sell the car let me know what you want for it. Your a haul away but I drove a hardtop '73 in high school.

I would second the idea of finding a cheap beater for Auto-x. Let's also be honest..you're headed to a track in the near future if you like Auto-x. What you would need is a low buck, reliable (change fluids and go) track car. A Miata really does fit the bill. There are other cars you could track cheaply as well if you'd rather. 5.0 'stangs, Camaro's (Chevy I know..), Honda stuff, RX-7's...but imo none will be as cheap or reliable after the purchase price as the Miata. Since it would be a track only tool I'm sure you could give up a little in the looks department. Also, this isn't a marriage. It's something you're going to use, abuse, and throw away if you wad it up like a budweiser can. Don't get attached and beat the hell out of it in the name of fun. I've done it and don't regret a second of it.

I do regret giving up my '73 Mustang esp since they're getting harder and harder to find. I still have the original gas cap for it. I'm 34 and I sold it when I was 17.

Miata's for sale near Lubbock:

1991 Mazda Miata Convertable MX5☺ $2,300 ☺ - $2300 (Saginaw)

94 miata - $1999 (cedar hill)

92 Miata 5speed - $2400 (Bedford/76022) 1997 Mazda Miata - $2500 (Keller, Texas)

92 MIATA - $2800 (Bedford)

1990 Mazda Miata - $2000 (Terrell)

spitfirebill
spitfirebill HalfDork
8/6/08 1:08 p.m.

Personally I cannot imagine enjoying driving a 73 Mustang, but since you love driving yours, don't sell it. As advised above, get a beater and autocross that. The answer is Miata.

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
8/6/08 1:10 p.m.

I had a '65 Mustang convertible in HS...no power brakes/steering...4 wheel drums...no seat belts. Fun....lots and lotsa fun.

I'd look at a hoop style like the '68-'70 Shelby convertibles for some peace of mind, or otherwise keep it and buy the beater roadster. Do not sell ( or "sale" in this case) your car.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
8/6/08 1:19 p.m.

I still maintain that 4 point belts without a rollbar is a bad idea. I don't think that puts you in a sell it or cage it scenario though. Run it as is, with a lap belt. Un-likely to roll, but if you do at least you have a better chance of survival than with a 4 point, where you're guarenteed to be screwed.

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
8/6/08 1:24 p.m.
jikelly wrote:
ignorant wrote: saleing the car would be difficult. Try selling it.
Oops, did I do that?

A whole bunch of times.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
8/6/08 1:29 p.m.

How about putting some seats from a Sebring convertible in it? These have the belts built in. There's a couple other newer drop-tops like this too; the Sebring's the only one I can think of right now.

nickel_dime
nickel_dime HalfDork
8/6/08 2:04 p.m.

It's a convertible, let the people in the back jump over the side of the car.

Okay, I didn't say it was a good idea.

I've been thinking about a cage for my classic Mini that wiuldn't be too intrusive for daily driving. Since the interior is so small I'm thinking about a front hoop connected to a rear hoop behind the back seat and a harness bar across the rear hoop. I would of course add other braces, I just haven't figured out where yet. It definitly would be an approved race bar but something is better than nothing (most of the time).

petegossett
petegossett Dork
8/6/08 2:06 p.m.

Here's another point of veiw:

What would it take to make a 73 Mustang a "fun" autox car? For me personally, it would have to be pretty much fully ESP(if not CP)prepared for me not to grow tired of fighting it around course(I had a 72 notch, so I speak from experience. lol)

Conversely, even a plain/stock Miata is fun on crappy street tires. (And I do agree with your comment about them looking a bit plain - but I bought one anyway since they're so damn fun!)

The one thing you didn't mention is competitive. If your autox goals have anything to do with being competitive, even on a regional-level, you're probably best served by starting with another car.

jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
8/6/08 2:08 p.m.

Some GM's sedans and trucks also have the belt in the seat, but...

Here is the catch, Rule 3.3.1

3.3.1 Driver Restraints Seat lap belts are required in all cars, and must be installed in cars with passive restraint systems that do not include a lap belt. Installation and the use of shoulder belts or harnesses is strongly recommended,

however non-factory upper body restraints may only be used in open cars, cars with targa-tops in the open position, or cars with T-tops in the open position when two conditions are met:

a. The roll structure must meet either the requirements of Appendix C or Section 9.4 of the GCR.

b. The top of the roll structure may not be below the top of the driver’s helmet when the driver is in the normal driving position.

http://www.scca.com/documents/Solo%20Rules/2008_Solo_Rules_2.pdf

Adding a non-factory sholder restraint would require a roll bar. An not just any bar but a roll bar that clears the driver's head.

jikelly
jikelly New Reader
8/6/08 2:11 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: A whole bunch of times.

grtechguy
grtechguy SuperDork
8/6/08 2:14 p.m.

Nope.....don't sell it

just park it in my driveway

with the keys

and the title

I'll hold on to it for you.

jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
8/6/08 2:19 p.m.
jikelly wrote: So I await to hear word from the SCCA officials...

What have you proposed to the officials?

They way the rule is written now, you can not even use a torso belt (aka Dick Strap) unless you have a clear roll bar.

jikelly
jikelly New Reader
8/6/08 3:14 p.m.

I actually just heard back.

They said my car, even with all the mods I've made, should still be able to run in the Street Modified class which doesn't require a roll bar.

Whew.

I can put off the decision a while. :)

You guys bring up some good points. For sure there is no way I could sale my car. :)

Why do miata's have to be so good and so cheap? My brother's got a 85 mustang that I briefly thought about turning into a track car. Looking at the car and driving it I can tell that it's been hit and the frame has been tweaked. I don't know how hard/expensive it'd be to get straight again.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eDFu94aOqwKYppZI2KVB06egFEdLRuEbf5sM9wJNwNO0MCiszXKAWnCE7k8X2GZ3