1 2 3
footinmouth
footinmouth Reader
7/19/24 7:44 a.m.

In reply to Rodan :

I'm in NY and do drive 1 to 3 hours for tracks  like Pocono , Thomson , Watkins glen and Lime rock - just drove lime rock and heading back in a couple weeks . I will do a weekend class ,that is great advice !

footinmouth
footinmouth Reader
7/19/24 7:52 a.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

Yea , I bet pro drivers are still working things out .That's alot of info in one post about driving ! I need to get some basics down so I don't start getting used to doing the wrong thing as my go to. I can / do drive heal toe at limit and have been for 10+ years . 

footinmouth
footinmouth Reader
7/19/24 7:56 a.m.

In reply to porschenut :

My timetable is pro by next week end and have unlimited  funds . My goal is Fun! and on a grassroots budget .I never be the fastest but will have the biggest smile .

footinmouth
footinmouth Reader
7/19/24 8:03 a.m.

In reply to wake74 :

I run in the  intermediate group my last  6 times and did get in car instruction when I started .Track night . 

porschenut
porschenut Dork
7/19/24 8:08 a.m.

In reply to footinmouth :

Find a local kart place.  Gas or electric.  Find one that has decent equipment and does a race series.  For giggles and $/hr seat time cost you cant beat it.

footinmouth
footinmouth Reader
7/19/24 8:10 a.m.

In reply to Olemiss540 :

Most of my $$ went into suspension so I'm not the slowest around corners just under powered by a tired old motor  260k and 170 hp ,if I'm lucky 

footinmouth
footinmouth Reader
7/19/24 8:32 a.m.

In reply to WonkoTheSane :

Yes, I've been signed off for my last 6 sessions an The group is SCCA ,track night .I will ask if I can get a ride along ! 

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS HalfDork
7/19/24 9:42 a.m.
footinmouth said:

Yes, I've been signed off for my last 6 sessions an The group is SCCA ,track night .I will ask if I can get a ride along ! 

TNiA doesn't do ride alongs... (well it isn't supposed to) SCCA's local region might that is dependent on the local region...  

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS HalfDork
7/19/24 9:50 a.m.
footinmouth said:

In reply to theruleslawyer :

What do those sims cost for a good one? with load pedals? not that I'm getting one just curious. 

Sim racing much like real racing is very much a slippery slope.  The most basic setup that I would recommend is a logitech G23 (or equivelant) and a set of pedals mounted to a desk with a decent sized monitor.  The computer hardware requirements are very modest, I run mine on a PC that is probably 6+ years old and it runs fine at 4k.  

so basic wheel and pedal = $200 Logitech G29 if you have a computer you can use that runs windows connected to an external monitor you're probably setup in the most basic level

for me the next step up is the Thrustmaster setup.  The TX or T300 base /w the wheel, shifter, non-load cell pedals, and a few assorted cables, wireless keyboard, etc. reusing a computer and plugging it into the TV in my Den was about $1000.  

you can easily spend $10k plus on a setup with a full racing bucket, multiple monitors or VR goggles, etc.  and you can even find people who build setups that have motion, etc. and those setups cost $$$$ but are also good enough for F1 drivers to use as practice.  

theruleslawyer
theruleslawyer Reader
7/19/24 10:07 a.m.
footinmouth said:

In reply to theruleslawyer :

What do those sims cost for a good one? with load pedals? not that I'm getting one just curious. 

$500ish seems to be about the floor with load cells. They're like $200 for cheaper pedals and you won't get them as part of a kit with the cheaper wheels. Though I'd say there is a lot of value in spending about $1000 on a wheel and pedal set. You also really need a cockpit too. 2x4s and a junkyard seat work fine. I probably have under $2k in my setup, but it is an aluminum rig with a racing seat, etc. Of course if you don't already have a gaming PC you need that. You need do decide on monitors too. I have a VR headset for mine which was like $300.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane UltraDork
7/19/24 12:55 p.m.
footinmouth said:

Since you're in the northeast, I'd say you should come to a full track day with Mass Tuning or NASA NE.  Both of those will offer in car instruction. 

I instruct a decent bit with both groups.  I'd encourage you to sign up for the novice group, which gets you an instructor for the day.  If you're doing well in novice, you can be bumped up at any time during the day, too.

That'll be the best bang for your buck.  I'll be at Palmer with MT tomorrow:

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/masstuning-trackfest-jul-20-2024-palmer-motorsports-park-383556

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
7/19/24 4:00 p.m.
footinmouth said:

In reply to Tom1200 :

Yea , I bet pro drivers are still working things out .That's alot of info in one post about driving ! I need to get some basics down so I don't start getting used to doing the wrong thing as my go to. I can / do drive heal toe at limit and have been for 10+ years . 

I posted that simply because if you are not doing that I'd strongly recommend getting an instructor in the car with you.

I run an extreme low power car, 80hp to 99hp at the wheels, depending on which motor is in the car, so I understand. 

I'd say if the motor isn't smoking keep running it and get as much seat time as you can.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
7/20/24 7:38 a.m.

Start going to NASA events. They will require an instructor your first time regardless of experience. They generally try to match you with an instructor who pilots a similar vehicle, so in your case low HP and RWD probably would get you a Miata guy. Which is perfect.

Most NASA instructors use some kind of in-car comm device so you can hear them.

While I was instructing, I did it for them pretty exclusively. They have a logical 'tier' system to educate you as you go which is recorded in a passbook so subsequent instructors can see what you've done. It is how I went from track day noob to solo to road racer to instructor. 

'Professional' coaching is expensive, if it's from anyone that is actually good. Probably the cost of the track day again.

The mistake too many people make is wanting to be solo'd as soon as possible. Don't be this guy (this video never gets old, lol).

footinmouth
footinmouth Reader
7/20/24 9:07 a.m.
Tom1200 said:
footinmouth said:It's not smoking yet , but run hard and put away wet. I did like having the instructors and was disappointed when I had to drive solo . There was a lot going on and did miss a flag more than once. In reply to Tom1200 :

I posted that simply because if you are not doing that I'd strongly recommend getting an instructor in the car with you.

I run an extreme low power car, 80hp to 99hp at the wheels, depending on which motor is in the car, so I understand. 

I'd say if the motor isn't smoking keep running it and get as much seat time as you can.

footinmouth
footinmouth Reader
7/20/24 9:12 a.m.
This video is super funny , I'll check out NASA and I'm looking forward to learning a lot more about vehicle dynamics .

Start going to NASA events. They will require an instructor your first time regardless of experience. They generally try to match you with an instructor who pilots a similar vehicle, so in your case low HP and RWD probably would get you a Miata guy. Which is perfect.

Most NASA instructors use some kind of in-car comm device so you can hear them.

While I was instructing, I did it for them pretty exclusively. They have a logical 'tier' system to educate you as you go which is recorded in a passbook so subsequent instructors can see what you've done. It is how I went from track day noob to solo to road racer to instructor. 

'Professional' coaching is expensive, if it's from anyone that is actually good. Probably the cost of the track day again.

The mistake too many people make is wanting to be solo'd as soon as possible. Don't be this guy (this video never gets old, lol).

wake74
wake74 Reader
7/20/24 9:14 a.m.
footinmouth said:

TNIA is a fun relaxing evening at the track, or a way to dip your toe into the pool without any real barriers. There is is very little actual instruction by design, just enough for newbies to hopefully not hurt themselves. I'd suggest you attend a few full HPDE weekends with an instruction focused group. My preference during my HPDE days was BMWCCA, I've heard PCA is similiar. I've been to lots of NASA events as well. I'd put their instruction as maybe a small step down from BMWCCA in terms of structure, but a lot comes down to your right seat instructor. I was fortunate to get a few great ones at BMWCCA events that learned my strengths and weaknesses and helped me progress from weekend to weekend.

Don't be in a hurry to "solo". Now that I switched to racing, I actually miss having easy access to have a known commodity to jump into the right seat to offer suggestions in a particular corner or braking zone. I mentally still go back to some of the things my favorite instructors use to tell me that were very specific to my driving style.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
7/20/24 7:27 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

This is funny as hell. Fortunately I've only encountered it twice in the 30 years I've been instructing.

The first one was a guy in a turbo Porsche who didn't want my D-Sports racer grided in front of him and really should have stuck to the fast intermediate group. To his credit when after I lapped on the 3rd lap he moved down a run group.

The second one was a very wealthy guy who'd bought an Evo MR with the intent to modify it to the enth degree. He was questioning being in the intermediate group. Before I drove it he told he had planned to heavily modify it. I will never forget his words "after watching you drive I realized I just need to learn to drive the car".

I know I happen to be a damn good driver and I still discuss things with fellow instructors and racers. I also watch other peoples videos.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder UltraDork
7/21/24 6:41 a.m.

1) I'd like to see this Tacoma!

2) what are your goals? 

I'd consider a Garmin Catalyst for ease of pulling/sharing data, but video/lap timer is the basic stuff. Be wary of advice - I've heard some truly wild stuff bantered around at the track :)

theruleslawyer
theruleslawyer Reader
7/21/24 9:49 a.m.
WonkoTheSane said:

Since you're in the northeast, I'd say you should come to a full track day with Mass Tuning or NASA NE.  Both of those will offer in car instruction. 

I'm not from the area, but what I've seen online recently mass tuning seems to be in the process of imploding. Lots of complaints about canceled events and no refunds.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
7/21/24 11:34 a.m.

I'm surprised no one has suggested doing some autocross events. 
Randy Pobst has an article  

I had done about 100 autocross events before I did my first track day. I got the required in car and track side evaluation that day, and got moved to intermediate within an hour. 

accordionfolder
accordionfolder UltraDork
7/21/24 12:02 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Autocross is great besides the value for your time and money. Well that and dealing with the SCCA for most events. Unlimited run events is the only way I do it anymore. 

jstein77
jstein77 UberDork
7/21/24 12:39 p.m.

I'm just amazed you put that much effort into a Tacoma.  Not exactly a performance platform.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
7/21/24 1:06 p.m.
jstein77 said:

I'm just amazed you put that much effort into a Tacoma.  Not exactly a performance platform.

Where there's a will, there's a way. 

Nationally competitive in STX (street touring extreme). 2008 Tacoma Xrunner. Owner lives in South Georgia, competes regularly with Buccaneer SCCA, the Jacksonville, Florida chapter. 

The class requires any modifications to be commercially available, so as he has developed the suspension, he's made the parts available for sale. When his machinist retired, he bought the guy's business so he could continue to offer the parts commercially. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
7/21/24 2:12 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

That's cool as hell.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane UltraDork
7/21/24 6:10 p.m.
theruleslawyer said:
WonkoTheSane said:

I'm not from the area, but what I've seen online recently mass tuning seems to be in the process of imploding. Lots of complaints about canceled events and no refunds.

I haven't read anything about that?   Armin (owner/founder of MT) was trying to launch a race series NEGT with Nick Fontana (https://www.cornerfaster.com/), but it turns out that getting people to build a car for a new series and show up takes longer than expected.. Who knew? :)  That series is on hold, and will likely be brought back a bit later with a more limited schedule until they can get traction.

The only cancelled event I know of this year was the Palmer day last Friday (7/12), because that was supposed to be the practice day before the 2nd race for NE GT.  When NEGT got postponed, they also cancelled the track day.   Yesterday's track day at Palmer seemed to be runnin' fine.

If you know anyone who hasn't gotten a refund on something, I'd encourage you to have them contact Armin.   He's pretty good to work with and more than fair in any situation I've ever seen?   I've been tracking with him for a long time, maybe 2018/19? 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qxnO1Q0XsuD4APExiTVH0Ewd5n3GTyN9BvDdnFXEfE8UMoMJ5WXXvcJRxK2hd4Nx