RevRico
RevRico UberDork
9/22/18 1:02 p.m.

I've tried nothing and I'm all out of ideas!

Coming home from home depot just now, far more agitated than when I got there, I noticed a noise. More specifically a lack of noise.

My right turn signal isn't doing it's blinking job. Tried the left, worked fine. Got home, put the 4 ways on and all my turn signals blinked like they should.

but whenever I move the stalk up, and it goes into its little grove, nothing happens. No light on the dash, no blink at the lights.

Is it possible when someone was pretending to drive they busted the stalk in a way that it looks and feels fine but doesn't send power down the line? 

I just don't know where to start trouble shooting without pulling a bunch of stuff apart, which I really don't want to do today. 

I could just be like anyone else on the roads and not use them all together, but I don't have collision insurance and firmly believe I'm better than everyone else, at least in a driving sense. 

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
9/22/18 1:09 p.m.

The other day I couldn't hear my turn signals. Turns out Lil Stampie could. Made me think of all the times I said "Dad your turn signal is still on!" to Papa Stampie when I was a kid. 

Stampie
Stampie UberDork
9/22/18 1:11 p.m.

Oh yeah. Your flasher is probably bad. 

RevRico
RevRico UberDork
9/22/18 1:59 p.m.
Stampie said:

Oh yeah. Your flasher is probably bad. 

That was my first thought. 

It hasn't started raining yet, so I decided to look at some things. All the fuses are good, all the external bulbs work despite the left turn signal telling me there's a bulbs out. The 4 ways work properly, although the passenger side bulbs all look brighter than the driver side. 

Sitting key on engine off, the switch engages to turn on the right turn signal, I hear the clicking, and walking around the vehicle shows all bulbs look good. The indicator light on the dash doesn't flash for the right signal though.

It's cheap enough I'm going to replace the flasher. I think I might spend the money and replace all the bulbs as well. 

Thinking back, I've always thought the passenger side was brighter than the drivers side on this truck. I should probably check grounds and connections where the previous owner changed the lights. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
9/22/18 2:07 p.m.

The indicator in the dash burn out?

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
9/22/18 2:09 p.m.

Could it be the bulb of the dash indicator?

Am I following correctly that in the first post the right signal wasn't working at all, but now it's working except for the dash indicator?

RevRico
RevRico UberDork
9/22/18 2:12 p.m.
Ransom said:

Could it be the bulb of the dash indicator?

Am I following correctly that in the first post the right signal wasn't working at all, but now it's working except for the dash indicator?

Yes. Passenger side turn signals weren't working at all when I got home, now everything but the dash light works, while the truck is running as well as sitting key on engine off. 

Would spraying the turn signal switch with contact cleaner be a bad idea? 

As far as the dash bulb, if I need to fix it for inspection, any links to LED dash conversions?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
9/22/18 3:11 p.m.

Cycle the four way switch a dozen or so times and see what happens.

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
9/22/18 5:37 p.m.

Not the flasher.  Both sides use the same flasher and the stick just connects the wire to the right bulbs or the left bulbs.

Two possibilities as I see it:  Corrosion on the bulb contacts could be causing problems.  Pull the bulbs out of the right side.  All four could be calling for enough juice to "solve" the problem when you put the 4-ways on (and that is a different flasher unit), but just the right side might be making issues.

But the real probability is that it is the switch itself.  They go bad sometimes.  I've done two in my Impala and now this third one won't cancel coming back from the right.  They're cheap plastic and they just wear out.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
9/22/18 6:42 p.m.

I'm with Curtis. I had strange come and go problems like that with turn signals on an old Ford pickup that drove me nuts. Finally replaced the switch in the column and it solved everything. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
otJuiq3x1EvOTd33tFMMXkbhQWN75d1T1gjz9rsl7st5gIlggCrnPjJxYEGQcOtz