1 2 3
NoPermitNeeded
NoPermitNeeded New Reader
8/29/16 2:30 p.m.

I've acquired a 1974 Super Beetle and I want to do something with it. I am pretty young and want to get into hot rodding and working on cars. The car is in no way pristine, the interior is kinda e36 m3 and the paint was done with some rustoleum out of a spray can. What can I do with the car that wouldn't ruin the drivability?

On another note, the car also doesn't run do to the stupid seat belt sensor relay thingamabob they added in '74. Any help with that would be awesome.

TED_fiestaHP
TED_fiestaHP New Reader
8/29/16 2:40 p.m.

Do a web search for CB performance.

I am sure improvements could be made to make that a fun car and great for the autocross track.

Madhatr
Madhatr Reader
8/29/16 2:43 p.m.

Or, of course.... there is always rallycross

photo rallycross0605-5.jpg

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) MegaDork
8/29/16 2:50 p.m.

bypass the relay with a jumper wire. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3210086

The super beetle can have some of the suspension improved with take off Porsche 924/944 bits.

Subaru flat four swaps are pretty common and while they are a lot of work (adding a cooling system, flipping the differential to drive the proper direction, etc.) They open up a much larger performance potential for the car in the long run:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/how-about-a-super-beetle-as-a-track-car/23207/page1/

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/1972-vw-super-beetle/7200/page1/

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/superbeetle-is-this-as-good-as-deal-as-it-looks/106446/page1/

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/4666/

So start by creating a build thread in the build thread subforum and work on updating it as you progress along.

Bypass the seatbelt relay (but please use a seat belt when driving) to get it running and then figure out what your desires, budget and skills will allow.

Make a plan.

Turn that plan into a list of things to cross off.

Group the list into items that are required, would like to have and wild dreams.

Get started on crossing off the list.

Keep updating the build thread.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/29/16 2:51 p.m.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
8/29/16 2:57 p.m.

Blindingly fast beetle

Realistically, I would just get it running right and make some improvements with Porsche bits as mentioned.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork

if/when i ever get my hands on a beetle i would lower it, pull the fenders off, and put some fat tires under it front and rear. I know there is a member on here that has autocrossed his beetle (dont think it was a super) with no fenders, cant remember his name

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls UberDork
8/29/16 3:01 p.m.
The Hoff
The Hoff UltraDork
8/29/16 4:20 p.m.

Baja Bug. I can't think of any better way to molest a Beetle.

From mild to wild, they are all great off-roaders.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
8/29/16 4:29 p.m.

So, if memory serves, a super beetle is a bit of an orphan in the front suspension department- isn't it Struts? Rear is roughly the same trailing arm setup as any non- swingaxle car, so rear stuff is ok.

Or am I mis-thinking?

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
8/29/16 4:41 p.m.

I want a Bike Engined Car, I think a Beetle would be simple enough to make that happen. I've seen HD powered Beetles, and I recall a Japanese air cooled in line 4 maybe, Beetle somewhere on the interweb. Since I want a BEC, you should use your Beetle as a case study for me to follow along.

I vote BMW K series, or Honda Goldwing, maybe a V45 Magna. I'd recommend a VMAX, but that's what I'm going to use in my imaginary BEC, so that's out of the question for your case study, since I called dibs.

NoPermitNeeded
8/29/16 6:09 p.m.

In reply to The Hoff:

Oh I want to baja so bad, I also live somewhere where it would be very easy to go off-road

Woody
Woody MegaDork
8/29/16 6:32 p.m.

Is it, perchance, a '74 SunBug?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
8/29/16 6:35 p.m.

Does JC Whitney still sell every part needed to build a full VW Beetle?

Mike
Mike Dork
8/29/16 6:58 p.m.

Get this book and read it. It's a good manual overall, but it also has a discussion on performance that takes a holistic approach to air cooled power adders. What will you need to do to cool that 200hp pancake? What will an exhaust do to engine temp? Muir talks about balance.

rustyvw
rustyvw Dork
8/29/16 7:36 p.m.

German look.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
8/29/16 7:47 p.m.

I second this bike engined bug (BEB)

NoPermitNeeded
8/29/16 7:55 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

Alas, no. It's a run of the mill Super Bug

NoPermitNeeded
8/29/16 7:58 p.m.

In reply to Trackmouse:

As soon as the 1600 thats in it currently bites the dust, I will absolutely be looking into cool swaps like that. My only question is how it would work with the transaxle? Would it "simply" bolt up and use the stock 4-speed (with adapter plate and all that stuff)?

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) MegaDork
8/29/16 8:03 p.m.

In reply to NoPermitNeeded:

You'd need a bellhousing adapter and the appropriate mating clutch.

Kennedy Adapter will likely have a bellhousing adapter.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
8/29/16 8:03 p.m.

I vote Baja Bug also, nothin' crazy at first but get the mechanicals right.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
8/29/16 8:07 p.m.

not sure you can seriously Baja a Super. As noted above, the front suspension is by Struts and is very sensitive to being out of alignment.. much like the 924 and early 944s that also used this same front suspension. Unlike a regular beetle that has torsion bars and does not require a body for the suspension to work, the super needs it's bodywork as it holds the strut towers and springs

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
8/29/16 10:08 p.m.
Woody wrote: Is it, perchance, a '74 SunBug?

My mom had one of those. Hand crank sunroof. It was gold in colour.

She sold it to my grandfather. She borrowed it one night, saw the oil pressure go to zero and drove it another mile, because it was very dark where she saw the oil pressure drop. Locked it up bad!!!

codrus
codrus SuperDork
8/29/16 10:41 p.m.

STi motor swap? :)

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KSFpxRYhvOrKI4zYn7eK05NvHcGiqxOJxDxh1EeT50IUY13ycXPY8Dg7OcgNemcA