redhookfern
redhookfern Reader
9/2/15 8:38 a.m.

Curious to hear real feedback for those that use Sling. Currently we just run Netflix/Amazon/HBO Go through our Playstation but are thinking about picking up a Sling. We have mostly disconnected ourselves from Cable because a) Time Warner is the absolute pits and b) I'd rather spend $200 a month on just about anything else.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
9/2/15 9:19 a.m.

Yes, we have a subscription for our rental because guests want ESPN. I'm pretty dissatisfied with the video stream quality - it will be clear for a few minutes, then be very blurry and pixelated for a while - even when there is no other activity on our wireless network. I don't have that problem with any other Roku channels. I've considered cancelling several times, but there's no compelling alternative yet for subscribing to live TV.

Mike
Mike Dork
9/2/15 12:48 p.m.

I use a FireTV Stick. Sling was awful on 3Mbps, with quality in line with VHS, with more stuttering. I upgraded to 60Mbps, and it looks pretty good. I'm nearing 40, and have never subscribed to cable in my adult life. I know it isn't Sling's fault, but I can't handle the commercials.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
9/2/15 12:56 p.m.

Interesting, this could be a good option for people who want to get rid of cable but "need" their live sports...just too bad you have to use a proxy to get them to take your filthy un-American money.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
9/2/15 1:29 p.m.

How do the Sling and Fire TV stick thingies work?

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
9/2/15 1:34 p.m.

I am going to sign up for the free trial shortly since the handful of cable channels I currently get will be going away soon. I have TWC for internet as it is the only choice at my house and as a bonus there are a few cable channels that I can see for free, but they are changing them to needing a converter box soon and I am not paying TWC for them. I've seen mixed reviews of Sling so far. If I am going to pay $20/month I expect it to work.

redhookfern
redhookfern Reader
9/2/15 3:06 p.m.

I wasn't aware of the quality issues. Hmm. That's definitely a concern. Oh and we're those people that bought one of those antennas at Target to get local channels on our TV. I'm that committed to not ever doing business with Time Warner again.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
9/2/15 3:08 p.m.

I have an antenna to get local channels. I'd most likely never go back to cable. I can find tons of things to watch online/local channels/netflix/whatever.

slowride
slowride HalfDork
9/2/15 5:16 p.m.

I was going to sign up for Sling but the lack of a DVR function was sort of a dealbreaker. Instead I got a Mohu antenna; I get about 30 channels with it (not all are worth watching though). I have that running into a TV tuner and into EyeTV software, and that works as a DVR, and the shows get added to iTunes automatically so I can watch them through my AppleTV and skip commercials. Works well enough so far. I also have a Fire TV stick.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
9/3/15 1:15 p.m.
Mike wrote: I use a FireTV Stick. Sling was awful on 3Mbps, with quality in line with VHS, with more stuttering. I upgraded to 60Mbps, and it looks pretty good. I'm nearing 40, and have never subscribed to cable in my adult life. I know it isn't Sling's fault, but I can't handle the commercials.

commercials are awesome... it's like they are telling you to take a 3 minute break to go to the bathroom and get rid of the stuff that you got from the kitchen a few 3 minute breaks ago..

Mike
Mike Dork
9/3/15 6:00 p.m.
novaderrik wrote:
Mike wrote: I use a FireTV Stick. Sling was awful on 3Mbps, with quality in line with VHS, with more stuttering. I upgraded to 60Mbps, and it looks pretty good. I'm nearing 40, and have never subscribed to cable in my adult life. I know it isn't Sling's fault, but I can't handle the commercials.
commercials are awesome... it's like they are telling you to take a 3 minute break to go to the bathroom and get rid of the stuff that you got from the kitchen a few 3 minute breaks ago..

Yes, but having the internet all these years instead means that my attention span is about a minute shorter than the commercial break.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B2Mkosp5FydpUTujrFl52LJAfyiZrjZDuzbLfUHfEr1sn8eWBOR0RJOJnSMKfS0j