95 96 97
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
10/8/24 3:27 p.m.

In reply to brandonsmash :

For a $200 tool, you can't ask for too much more anyway. A friend of mine did put the MCARBO trigger stuff into his SCCY DAO and it definitely helped the trigger. I think it was like ~5lbs instead of ~9lbs, and is a cheap upgrade. 

stroker
stroker PowerDork
10/10/24 11:17 a.m.

A friend warned me off the SCCY option and suggested police trade-in Glocks, however they appear to have a pre-election price jump so I'm going to wait until later.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 UltimaDork
10/10/24 2:51 p.m.

The internet is full of opinions, so I'll ask the internet for their opinions. 

Sig Romeo zero. Specifically the one PSA is offing right now for $79. 

https://palmettostatearmory.com/sig-romeo-zero-3-moa-auto-off-red-dot-black-sor01331.html

Anyone have personal experience that says I shouldn't buy one?

Rodan
Rodan UberDork
10/10/24 3:30 p.m.

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

For a range toy, sure...  IME the bottom end for 'serious gun' reliability level is Holosun.

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
10/10/24 8:22 p.m.

Ehhh. ~$200 for a base model Holosun is as cheap as I'd go for a pistol dot. Except maybe if it's for a 22 with a static optic. 

I got my 407a for just under $200 shipped and am very happy with it so far. 

Vracer111
Vracer111 HalfDork
10/10/24 10:17 p.m.

I wouldn't cheap out on red dots for pistols. Basically recommend Holosun for the quality budget option or a Trijicon RMR if want THE toughest and tested optic (I'd love to get the newest RMR HD model for my 10mm Sig X-Ten, but it will cost more than what I paid for the X-Ten... It's also a 'would really like' but not a need - already have a good fully adjustable Meprolight Tru-dot night sight setup on it with a .5" longer sight radius than the stock sights). Have had a few Sig optics (scopes) and not been too impressed with them. They simply don't feel premium and were 'okay' optically but not great.  Arken scopes feel way more premium and are better optically than the Sig scopes I've had. Only things Sig I buy are the handguns and rifles... and laser range finders.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/11/24 9:21 a.m.

Holosun is what I would recommend. They have become my go to red dot. Anything less and reliability comes in to play. I have never had one fail if they are working properly out of the box.  I have had one develop a loose emitter and it was returned under waranty (Amazon). they also play nice with my glasses. I get virtually no shimmering or star burst effect. 

There are lots of fakes popping up on Amazon so shop carefully if you are going to mail order.  The last couple of red dots I have got from Cabellas   because they match Amazon.  

barefootcyborg5000
10/11/24 10:26 p.m.

Playing comparisons in the AM. 
P365XL, no comp, sig dot. 
X-Macro, factory comp, no dot. 
X-macro, a/m comp, Holosun dot. 

should be interesting. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/13/24 10:25 a.m.

A question for those that have more than a couple pistols. What do you do about mags?  How do you store them so you can tell what belongs to what. Rubber band them together then just put them in a basket or something? 

Rodan
Rodan UberDork
10/13/24 11:00 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

I use plastic storage bins.  It's not the most efficient use of space in the safe, but for me it has worked out the best for organization and access.  

Smaller boxes keep things semi-organized in the bins.

I also added a magnetic rail under the shelf over the rifle area for easy access to daily carry/ bump in the night stuff.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/14/24 2:51 a.m.

I like the magnet idea for the stuff that gets used regularly. Now that I think about it I think that most if not all are metal. I was thinking I would label all the mags with a paint pen and then band them together and put them in plastic bins.  

calteg
calteg UltraDork
10/14/24 8:14 a.m.
dean1484 said:

A question for those that have more than a couple pistols. What do you do about mags?  How do you store them so you can tell what belongs to what. Rubber band them together then just put them in a basket or something? 

For a long time, every pistol I owned was a double stack, 9mm Glock so...every mag would work in nearly every pistol. Just that some of the mags stuck way, way out of the magwell

When COVID hit, I took the opportunity to downsize. With the upcoming election, now is a good time if you're looking to do the same

stroker
stroker PowerDork
10/16/24 11:08 a.m.

I'm seeing YT videos bemoaning the current price of milsurps with videos claiming to be actual gun show prices.  My buddy (who recently worked a gun shop) says the first person shooter games (Call of Duty, et al) are driving up the prices.  I'm beginning to wonder if I really need all those Mosin Nagants...

Rodan
Rodan UberDork
10/16/24 12:19 p.m.

In reply to stroker :

Most of the guys I see at the range shooting pre-Vietnam era milsurps are a little older than the video game demographic.  And I say that as a 57 year old that likes the occasional video game... wink

IMHO, inflation and supply are the biggest drivers.  There aren't really any more large caches of older milsurp guns making it into the market like there were in the 70s-90s.  I can remember buying M1 carbines for $179 and Garands for $299 back when the Korean lend/lease guns started to come back in big numbers.

Rodan
Rodan UberDork
10/16/24 12:25 p.m.

On another topic, anyone have one of the Ruger American Gen 2 Ranch rifles in .223?  My wife wants me to build her a 'lite precision' centerfire, and these look like a pretty good value.   KRG makes a Bravo stock for the American, so I can make it match her CZ 457, and Timney is making triggers for it.

Wondering if anyone has experience with the Gen 2?

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/16/24 12:31 p.m.

I have one. It's a fantastic rifle—a really good do-it-all rifle. It's more than a 22 but way less than something in 308. The Ruger Gen 2 is very accurate. The bolt is smooth and very positive. Overall, it's a very good rifle. I would recommend it!!!  

barefootcyborg5000
10/17/24 6:04 p.m.

A thought experiment. Yesterday a friend who is slowly getting more involved in shooting sports asked me this question. 

If you have a total budget of $1500, how would you spend it? An AR and a shotgun? A hunting rifle and pistol? 

In this situation, he has his 22 game covered. And no intention of hunting. Solidly approaching the end of his middle years and has had shoulder issues..

My recommendation was to look at 6.5cm in  a Ruger American or savage axis, $3-400 in glass, and a small single stage reloading setup. 

Now I'm curious how y'all would answer. Ready, go!

Rodan
Rodan UberDork
10/17/24 6:33 p.m.

Need more info...  You say no hunting and then say you'd recommend a hunting rifle?

Are they interested in competition, or just recreation?  Are we trying to fill defensive roles as well as recreation?

Do they own any centerfire firearms now, or just .22s?

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/17/24 6:44 p.m.

I will also add that 6.5cm is not exactly a soft shooting round. For someone with shoulder issues I would be looking at a PCC or something in 223/556.  The noted Ruger American gen II in 223/556 would be at least something to consider. A really good all a rounder.  You won't be doing mag dumps but it does everything else extremely well. 

Same goes for a shotgun. Unless we are talking 410 or 20ga. A 12ga for some on with shoulder problems is not a good choice.

Need to know a lot more about the use case for this person. 

Also the persons stature would be helpfull and general physical strength. 

barefootcyborg5000
10/17/24 8:24 p.m.

Ah yes. More clarity. He initially was talking about 30-06, which is what led us to the softer calibers. But for target practice, even at good range, a .223 probably offers plenty. And less than half the cost to shoot. 

He's not a small guy. Maybe 6'2", but not super physical. Medical issues and a fairly sedentary lifestyle. He's shot my ar15, and it wasn't too bad. 

Intended use would be mostly modest precision work. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/18/24 12:16 a.m.

What distances are we going to be shooting at?  

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
10/18/24 12:31 a.m.

Unless he wants semi auto the Ruger American gen II in 223/556 I think is a great choice. These are half MOA rifles. They are also very affordable leaving a lot of room for a decent budget scope and a couple hundred rounds of amo for under 1k if he gets is shooting at 100 yards. 

Your scope choice will be determined by the distance he will typically be shooting at.  If he is wanting to shoot out to 500 yards a cheap budget  scope could cost 2 or even 3x what the rifle costs. 

Rodan
Rodan UberDork
10/18/24 12:40 a.m.

So, light precision rifle...

6.5 Creedmoor is pretty easy on the shooter in a typical 9+lb precision rifle.  Expensive to shoot, even if you handload.  Great accuracy and long range capable.

.223 will kick less and be less expensive to shoot.  Definitely accurate, but more susceptible to wind past 300yds.  

For me, two things top the list for a precision rifle:  availability of aftermarket stocks, and a good trigger.  $1500 all in is going to be tough...  Ruger American is probably going to be the best budget rifle... figure $600 all-in with tax/shipping/etc.  Budget (Arken?) glass and rings, another $500.  You can certainly shoot it with the factory stock, but having a stock that fits the shooter is a huge component in consistent accuracy, so I like an aftermarket stock with plenty of adjustment.  I like the KRG Bravo stocks personally, so that's another $500 with a couple options.  MDT has a few options that could make the budget.

I've been reading good things about the recent (post bankruptcy) Rem 700 SPS, but that bumps the rifle cost up to ~$800 with tax/etc.  Seems like Howa and Savage are a crapshoot for getting a good rifle these days.  Bergara and Tikka are probably at the upper end of the factory gun spectrum, but are also near total budget just for the rifle.  I'm trying to decide between the Ruger and Remington for a .223 build for my wife.

95 96 97

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Kdp2KwEJmlMIQ37AhbzIyCmG1Ck3sdDtfD18fhhWK3s4wD8slBO2avGCqF9iifPX