6 7 8 9
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
11/9/21 12:25 p.m.
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) said:
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) said:
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) said:

AAL just had a nice bump. Loss was less than expected and the 737 Max is back. Too bad I only held a few shares. I know that I have lots of travel plans for later this year when the COVID red light changes to green. Airlines and travel may be a good buy. Buy now while 'Experts' disagree?

Boeing (BA) is down to $200 (sometimes under) with two large drops last year from the Max and Covid.  In Feb of 2020 it was trading for high $300s.

If it gets close to $160 again, I'll buy in some more (i bought between 2009 and 2012).  I swear it was around $40 a share when i made my first purchase...  (full disclosure: Boeing employee).  

Rolls Royce aviation division (RYCEY) took a huge hit between Feb and December 2020 and is now steadily trading at $1.37.  I have every expectation that this will go back up to it's original values in a year or two (9million jabs so far in the UK, 500k got their second jabs per Sky news this morning.  Sputnik is showing a 90-something vaccine rate).  Plus they just acquired some maritime tech.

Hadn't considered Rolls (and now I can say I own stock in Rolls Royce... which is kind of cool!) dropped to ~1.33 but I picked up 100 shares at just under $1.34. It's worth a shot. And if it goes to 0, I can *still* say I have stock on RR :)

I just checked on my RYCEY.  Trading at $1.95 at the moment.  Up almost 50% from when we bought in, eh!

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/9/21 12:47 p.m.

It's funny looking back at my suggestions when this thread first started. I suggested Tesla but said well - not really. My serious suggestion was HSBC. Tesla would have turned your $500 into $9,227, assuming you figured out how to buy fractional shares as $500 woudn't have divided equally into Tesla shares. HSBC would have turned your $500 into $387. Ouch.

My most serious suggestion, VTI, would be $780 now.

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/9/21 1:30 p.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) :

RYCEY was good. I held a lot of it to Sept 27 and sold it all at 1.99.

In reply to dculberson :

I've made some non-optimal choices along the way like selling all of my TSLA way too early. I love TSLA, but can never convince myself to trust the value.  Looking at my 1 yr gain/loss I'm up over 180% (according to Robinhood, which I still use because the interface is so easy). I suppose it's been a real easy year to get that sort of gain though.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/9/21 7:16 p.m.
dculberson said:

It's funny looking back at my suggestions when this thread first started. I suggested Tesla but said well - not really. My serious suggestion was HSBC. Tesla would have turned your $500 into $9,227, assuming you figured out how to buy fractional shares as $500 woudn't have divided equally into Tesla shares. HSBC would have turned your $500 into $387. Ouch.

That was on 11/29/19, TSLA was trading for $65.98.  I waited 8 months before I bought it on 7/14/20, which was REALLY stupid.  It had increased 5X by then.  I bought it for $303.36.

Today, it's $1162.  

11/9/21 11:43 p.m.
dculberson said:

I winced when I saw I had said RYCEY  would go back to it's original value (above $8 a share)....

I've since learned about their debt and share dilution.  Getting out at $2 was a good move.

grover
grover Dork
11/10/21 8:30 p.m.

I trade OTC stocks where the stakes can be much lower if desired- but the volatility is insane. I started with $2500 in June and currently sit at $3,700 including one stock that I lost just over $700 on. I'll try to keep updating with my likely long term demise. 

chaparral
chaparral Dork
12/1/21 7:18 a.m.

Hot stock tip - Toyota (TM)

Just announced they're going back to full production rates, and only have a 9:1 P/E ratio. 

Disclaimer: I own call options for TM and if you buy the stock I make money.

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
12/2/21 11:51 a.m.
DuctTape&Bondo said:

Bumping this because I was looking at Ford on the recommendation of this thread, saw when it was $4, now it's $11 and kicking myself for not buying some. It's interesting going back and seeing what the winners, losers and no gainers are. I'm a first time individual stock buyer (not counting employee stock purchase plan, 401k and VTSAX) and want to invest $5k via E*TRADE (I have an account because of the employee purchase plan, is Robinhood any better?) also for some reason I'm more comfortable looking at sub $10 stocks. 

It's been hovering around $20 lately. 

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/3/21 5:09 p.m.

Kicking myself for buying only 1 share of Ford so I could watch it easier.

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/31/22 10:30 a.m.

Did you buy in the current downturn? I got back into NVDA and it's looking pretty good so far.

Still HODLing onto a handful of GME. Sold high and bought back in on the way down. I consider my remaining GME stock like a work of NFT digital art. Probably not really worth near what I paid for it, but it's mine and I enjoy looking at it from time to time.

Today, Ford is back where I bought it, but I think it's a good one to hold long term. Should probably buy more Now.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/31/22 1:46 p.m.

I bought more VTSAX Friday... I don't have any individual stocks right now. I bought some GME on the way up and sold it near the peak. It coincided with needing to make my annual IRA contribution so I did it that way and sold it a day later for a nice bit of profit and then moved it to VTSAX. I thought about playing with the volatility that it had been showing but it freaked me out too much so I stayed out. Of course my hind brain screams "what if you had gone all in on GME!?" and then I know it's a bad idea to play like that any more. ;-)

johndej
johndej SuperDork
7/14/22 1:40 p.m.

So - how far down is the dip going? Anything on the upswing?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/14/22 3:24 p.m.
johndej said:

So - how far down is the dip going? Anything on the upswing?

My brother keeps screaming at me to buy consumer staples and food stocks, but I'm not liking anything enough to jump into this market.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
7/14/22 4:04 p.m.

The only fun stock we've bought any of is GME, not big holders by any means but it's been a fun group to follow. I'm partially sure there will be a MOASS still, partially just enjoying holding.

7/14/22 6:56 p.m.

I finally sold the rest of my GME last week. It was fun, but the statements about where they plan to go with the company with NFTs isn't what I was hoping for.  Hopefully it will be a good market for them.

I'm shopping at the local store about once a week with my grandson and hope they keep some of the brick and mortar going, but it's a losing proposition in their current state.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
7/14/22 11:54 p.m.

I've managed to stay out of individual stocks. The index funds are all down for the year, but they are up so much over all that while it hurts to look at current value vs peak it's still an amazing return. I'm still buying whenever I have spare funds. BUT! I sold a car and am thinking about buying some I-Bonds since they're currently paying 9.62%. You can buy up to $10k of them per year, and so can your spouse. That's a pretty solid return. If you had $10k to invest would you buy I-bonds or VTI (total US stock market index)?

stroker
stroker PowerDork
7/15/22 9:53 a.m.

With all the dispensaries opening, it occurred to me the other day that investing in Frito-Lay might be a good idea...

3/22/23 12:19 p.m.

My big loser over the last year has been VBIV. They make vaccines and have a Hep B vaccine that came on the market recently. Right now I'm down about $1,500 on this and it's trading around $0.33 a share. Too late to get out. Trading looks pretty weird today, so I expect its either about to be bought out for a good bump or go to $0.

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/16/24 1:41 p.m.

I completely lost interest in GME quite a while ago. Canoo (GOEV) has been my favorite stock to lose money on lately. It dropped below $0.18 today, so I couldn't not buy more.  Average down, average down again... Only two ways to go from here: Way up or Zero.

CAinCA
CAinCA Dork
1/16/24 1:55 p.m.

NVDA is up 922% since the beginning of this thread. Every time I think that we've plateaued we start climbing again.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
1/16/24 2:34 p.m.
CAinCA said:

NVDA is up 922% since the beginning of this thread. Every time I think that we've plateaued we start climbing again.

What's the story with it ?  I haven't been following.  Do you own any shares ? ( I hope you say yes !)

Evanuel9
Evanuel9 Reader
1/16/24 7:28 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Ai boom mostly - NVDA makes the best AI accelerators by far and data centers are buying them in bulk to build out their AI infrastructure. Plus the general hype around AI and tech. And their gpu demand is strong as ever

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/16/24 8:19 p.m.

Just for fun updating returns on my 2019 suggestions:

vti: $500 bought 11/2019 is $798 now

tesla: $500 bought 11/2019 is $4958 now

hsbc $500 bought 11/2019 is $637 now

so no losers but hsbc has realllly sucked. I continued to pour all I can into vti and it's been awesome. Sure not "bet it all on black" err I mean Tesla but its also a lot safer.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UberDork
1/16/24 9:52 p.m.

My job made me familiar with View, Inc "smart glass" (darkens with a low voltage charge) and I even visited the factory. Interesting tech but they were nearly delisted last year and they bet the rent on new govt tax incentives. I'm way too chicken to jump into an elevator whose cable broke, but I also am amazed they are still above the drain. (Do not buy)

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/VIEW?p=VIEW

1/17/24 1:21 a.m.

Oh man, I was just thinking about this thread.  I sold my RYCEY to pay down some debt we incurred while building our house.  Invested $3500, and sold for $8000.  It's up to $4 a share the last I looked.

With house construction going on and everything happening with our friendly neighbors to the east, I probably wont be investing much.  Speaking of Ukraine though, maybe Lockheed Martin wouldn't be a bad thing to buy into.  It's looking like we'll be using their products at a higher than normal rate for the forseeable future...

6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XAqZFfGitA84r8ojSyisxxWAG3szKFSRsIoy6ej1JGQPAuS9bDrSs2ngwUJ6LsMi