1 2 3 4
BobOfTheFuture
BobOfTheFuture Reader
3/17/10 4:00 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote:
maroon92 wrote:
BobOfTheFuture said: "When in doubt... Flat out" Colin Mcrae
I always thought that is was "When in doubt...Throttle Out!"
How I heard it. When in doubt and you ain't sure what it's all about, just stand on it. Not about racing, but just because I can. Shut her down Rube, she's sucking too much mud.

Thats how I've heard it. you know how these things are...

And about Earnhardt, You're right about that, you didnt want to be in that position.

Y'know, He's liable to get killed driving like that...

iceracer
iceracer HalfDork
3/17/10 8:05 a.m.

Who was it that did it to him a Pocono ?

slantvaliant
slantvaliant HalfDork
3/17/10 8:57 a.m.

Ettore Bugatti on brakes: "I build my cars to go, not stop."

tuna55
tuna55 HalfDork
3/17/10 9:31 a.m.
novaderrik wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
Will wrote:
novaderrik wrote: "i didn't mean to spin him, i just meant to rattle his cage"- Dale Earnhardt, Sr after spinning Terry Labonte in turn 4 on the last lap at Bristol.
Let's remember that was the SECOND time Earnhardt spun Labonte from the lead in that race.
Yeah - coming from an Earnhardt fan, that was pretty blatant.
he said it with that usual mischievous twinkle in his eye.. love him or hate him- you did not want to be in the lead with him a close second coming out of the last turn of the race...

As "questionable" as some of those moves were, ya gotta admit he was a damn good driver. I remember watching an IROC race, and one of the indy guys pushed him into the grass. This was at 170 or so at one of the superspeedways. He went into the grass entering the corner, stayed in it, drove off the grass, onto the apron, and then took the transition back onto the banking in the turn and kept he foot in it the whole time. He lost like 2-3 positions. Amazing.

turboswede
turboswede SuperDork
3/17/10 11:07 a.m.
tuna55 wrote:
novaderrik wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
Will wrote:
novaderrik wrote: "i didn't mean to spin him, i just meant to rattle his cage"- Dale Earnhardt, Sr after spinning Terry Labonte in turn 4 on the last lap at Bristol.
Let's remember that was the SECOND time Earnhardt spun Labonte from the lead in that race.
Yeah - coming from an Earnhardt fan, that was pretty blatant.
he said it with that usual mischievous twinkle in his eye.. love him or hate him- you did not want to be in the lead with him a close second coming out of the last turn of the race...
As "questionable" as some of those moves were, ya gotta admit he was a damn good driver. I remember watching an IROC race, and one of the indy guys pushed him into the grass. This was at 170 or so at one of the superspeedways. He went into the grass entering the corner, stayed in it, drove off the grass, onto the apron, and then took the transition back onto the banking in the turn and kept he foot in it the whole time. He lost like 2-3 positions. Amazing.

I think that was why he was so infuriating, he was good enough that he didn't need to drive like a "HammerHead" but he did. The only time you wanted him behind you when you were in the lead was when you were his teammate.

Jay_W
Jay_W HalfDork
3/17/10 12:14 p.m.

Another great Bugatti quote... "Monsieur Bentley builds the fastest trucks in Europe"

wbjones
wbjones HalfDork
3/17/10 4:04 p.m.

didn't care for Sr or his Daddy or his son.... but damn he could drive a racecar

Wally
Wally SuperDork
3/17/10 8:47 p.m.
iceracer wrote: Who was it that did it to him a Pocono ?

Jeremy someone spiked my pee Mayfield

grafmiata
grafmiata SuperDork
2/25/14 9:50 p.m.

"A crazy man finishes in the cemetery." --- Fangio

The
The HalfDork
2/26/14 5:37 a.m.

if you anit cheatin you aint tryin, jr johnson

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
2/26/14 6:18 a.m.

"Alright that's enough, you're not getting any points for that!" - Red Bull F1 engineer

"...But satisfaction." - Sebastian Vettel

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
2/26/14 7:39 a.m.

"leave me alone, I know what I'm doing" Kimi

Will
Will Dork
2/26/14 8:32 a.m.

"We were racing along and someone must have got into me, because next thing I knew, I seen the people up there in the back straightaway in the bleachers up there eating chicken."--Carl Long, after this ride.

Spitsix
Spitsix Reader
2/26/14 8:49 p.m.

Trackside Announcer: “Kimi, what happened out there?”

Kimi: “The number 87 Perky Jerky Toyota Camry it cannot turn because it have no water.”

Trackside Announcer: “You were experiencing radiator trouble?”

Kimi: “Wait. What?”

Trackside Announcer: “Do you think you’ll be able to improve on your finish next race?”

Kimi: “No. My Finnish is fine, I am from Finland. Do you have any water?”

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
2/27/14 8:10 a.m.
TRoglodyte wrote: Taken from another website,can anyone give proper credit? "My drinking team has a racing problem."

Not sure if this is related, but Martini Racing has a cycling team with a race jersey that reads: "The drinking team with a cycling problem." I actually have one of these jerseys, it has a big martini glass on it.

mtownneon
mtownneon Reader
2/27/14 7:23 p.m.

"The driver ran out of talent before he ran out of nerve" -Mark Martin after crashing at Talladega

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
2/28/14 7:06 a.m.

after I spun coming out of Hog Pen (VIR) several yrs ago at a PDX .. ( you have to come into the pits after a "4 off") … the starter asked what happened .. that he'd heard the tire squeals and what-not … I replied that I'd just run out of talent … he laughter as thought that was the first time he'd ever heard that line

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
2/28/14 7:07 a.m.

"Everyone behind me is an incredibly talented driver - Everyone in front of me is cheating!" -Bill Haney

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
2/28/14 7:08 a.m.

"At some point in every racer's life he has to make his peace with cheating. I do not approve of cheating ... at all. Of course, like every successful racer, I differentiate between taking advantage of loopholes in the regulations, stretching the grey areas and outright cheating. In any given racing series I will not start the cheating. If someone else starts it, I will appeal to them and to the officials to stop it. If my efforts do not succeed, then I'll show them how it is done ...." -- Carroll Smith, Drive to Win

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
2/28/14 7:08 a.m.

"Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy." - Colin Chapman

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
2/28/14 7:09 a.m.

"You won't catch me driving a race car that I have built." - Colin Chapman

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
2/28/14 7:10 a.m.

"You win some, lose some, and wreck some."- Dale Earnhardt Sr.

the last part of that … I think he was talking about other drivers (the ones in the way)

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
2/28/14 7:10 a.m.

“I love this kind of racing, (but) these guys sure change their personalities in race mode. They’re like Doberman pinschers with a hand grenade in their mouths.”- road racer Boris Said speaking of NEXTEL Cup drivers

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
2/28/14 8:53 a.m.

"Jamal set a time that seemed...unnatural...so we checked the course and found that a cone hadn't been placed back in its square properly." - guy who used to do autocross here, talking about a future class champion in stage rally.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
2/28/14 9:07 a.m.

One of us, one of us, one of us

“Jack was tighter than a bull’s rear in fly season.” -Dan Gurney, Jack’s teammate referring to his stinginess in the early days of the Brabham Racing Organisation.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oFCSGHiMTgA2JSVFAyi3wYHYpeyrFE5Vc2eKTitGCSymN4KUfVyk5FgEwMU4NTWs