5 6 7 8 9
maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
3/13/10 6:18 p.m.

yeah, I just did that when I turned it on for pre-race practice. I will hold the start of this weeks race just for that reason. You now have until 8:05 to prepare for Sebring Club Circuit race #5. We will also be taking a 5 minute bathroom break before starting race #6 at Sedona Full Circuit.

prepare accordingly.

(i just had an idea pop into my head. Someone should design a "GRM car" with a cool theme, livery, and setup. Sell it to me in your storefront, and then I will give it to the winner of this series.)

Josh
Josh Dork
3/13/10 7:12 p.m.

Ok, I guess I give up on this thing. The last 2 weeks I have been logged in to XBL well before race time, waiting for someone to send me an invite (keep in mind I have no idea how else to enter a private race), and both times the only way I could even find the race was after people are already racing (it shows their status in my friends list as "private race", and then I can join the session). So I guess I am stuck missing the first race every week. Seriously, what am I supposed to do?

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
3/13/10 7:21 p.m.

I gotta get in on this! I will read up on this thread and get back shortly. After a(nother) movie.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
3/13/10 9:50 p.m.
Josh said: Ok, I guess I give up on this thing. The last 2 weeks I have been logged in to XBL well before race time, waiting for someone to send me an invite (keep in mind I have no idea how else to enter a private race), and both times the only way I could even find the race was after people are already racing (it shows their status in my friends list as "private race", and then I can join the session). So I guess I am stuck missing the first race every week. Seriously, what am I supposed to do?

Send me a friend request! I won't know you are on XBL unless you show up on my friends list. If I don't know you are there, I can't send you an invite.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
3/13/10 10:06 p.m.

Sebring Club
RacerFink 10
Colonel Tommy 8
FriedGrnCorrado 6
bcbrownell 5

Sedona Full
RacerFink 10
Colonel Tommy 8
FriedGrnCorrado 6
JWBrockman 5
bcbrownell 4

Overall
RacerFink 42
Colonel Tommy 40
Bcbrownell 31
GRMtom 20
CaptainSlowGRM 14
Kanebmotorsport 14
FriedGrnCorrado 12
JWBrockman 10
EvanB88 7
Jartaine 5

Race Report: In both races Fink got off to a great start and kept his lead until the end. For a spec series, he can certainly stretch his leads. I, on the other hand, bogged down at the start, overcooked my braking points into turn 1, and nobody ever looked back. I could not find a decent braking point on any of the corners at Sebring, especially turns exiting long straights.

At Sedona, Fink typically got a good launch and sped off. This time, learning from my mistakes, I made a much better launch, and had 3rd all but caught when I was reminded of the Keselowski/Edwards debacle and nearly went "endo", and not the kind Snoop smokes. Luckily I was able to regain composure, but only three corners later, I felt the back get light again as someone stuffed their nose in it. Nearly looping the car a second time, I regained and had lost another position. From the back of the pack, everyone sped off as I again had troubles with braking markers. A few high speed off track excursions, combined with a fading attention span, and fatigue induced loss of focus, caused bcbrownell to be lapped on a nearly 3 minute circuit. Oh nerts.

Josh
Josh Dork
3/13/10 10:08 p.m.

I thought I was on your friends list. I had you confused with someone else from the forum. Request sent.

oldtin
oldtin Reader
3/14/10 12:44 a.m.

Got a good launch at Sebring and made it about 2/3s around before racerfink went sailing by after I early apexed, pushed wide and tried out the integra's 4 wheeling abilities. I was never close to him after that. Another decent launch at Sedona, but again racerfink was all over me by the first corner in the circuit part - not long after and he was a little dot in the distance. At least I get a little faster when I can keep him sight

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
3/14/10 5:37 a.m.

sorry, I had no clue what was happening at the front because I was so far from it!

racerfink
racerfink Reader
3/14/10 6:40 a.m.

The launches are easy enough. Just pin it! If you have traction control on though, it will bog down as it cuts power to keep the wheels from spinning.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
3/15/10 8:21 p.m.

They certainly are interesting little cars to drive! And now that I've done a couple, I've changed my mind about the races being that long. It seemed I was pretty close to racerfink & oldtin for about 2-3 laps at each place, but as the race went on all the little mistakes I made let em roar on into the distance. At Sedona, they were 10,000/5,000 feet in front of me. Of course, hitting "The Pit" (if you play FM3, you know where it is ) on lap 7 didn't help..

I put the car off a couple of times at each place..at Sebring, trying to catch up-and at Sedona, just burning the front tires off it. You'd think someone who once raced FWD in real life would know better. Also, I discovered I just need to bite the bullet, and drive manual, regardless of how much it'll make my hands hurt. Buy your stock in IcyHot now.

racerfink
racerfink Reader
3/16/10 11:17 a.m.
maroon92 wrote: I just had an idea pop into my head. Someone should design a "GRM car" with a cool theme, livery, and setup. Sell it to me in your storefront, and then I will give it to the winner of this series.

Maybe we could get a GRM t-shirt for the winner too?

JG was playing Forza 2 for a little while, maybe we can get him to join us for one of these outings.

Fried: The long frontstretch at Sedona was a welcome break for my left hand. I could shake it around enough to get the blood flow back in my thumb for another lap.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
3/16/10 9:21 p.m.

Rfink: Good to know it ain't just me!

Maroon: I have an idea for the `Winner's Prize' for the series..how about letting who wins the series decide what the next spec series will be (as long as it's something kinda grassroots instead of a R1 battle, of course.)?

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
3/17/10 6:57 a.m.

okay, we can add that to the prize bucket.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Marketing / Club Coordinator
3/17/10 8:35 a.m.
racerfink wrote:
maroon92 wrote: I just had an idea pop into my head. Someone should design a "GRM car" with a cool theme, livery, and setup. Sell it to me in your storefront, and then I will give it to the winner of this series.
Maybe we could get a GRM t-shirt for the winner too?

This is pretty do-able. Also, I'm back in town this Saturday with no plans yet. I need to try to catch up on points...

racerfink
racerfink Reader
3/17/10 9:47 a.m.

Well, the 12hrs of Sebring is on tv this Saturday, so no race is scheduled.

There is a 2 hr window where they will be showing NASCAR qualifying though. Maybe we could have a 1.5hr enduro?

oldtin
oldtin Reader
3/17/10 9:55 a.m.

I'm up for it if I'm not picking up my challenge car this weekend - integra or miata or ????

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Marketing / Club Coordinator
3/17/10 10:05 a.m.

I'd love to try a nice long race. We should run at Sebring to honor the "real" race, no?

Spec Integras, or something different?

racerfink
racerfink Reader
3/17/10 12:33 p.m.

Hmmm... New Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger, maybe? With retro Trans-Am paintjobs? I'll do some testing tonight and see how close I can get them. I'll try to keep them as simple as possible without going over B class.

oldtin
oldtin Reader
3/17/10 1:06 p.m.

Ooh - boss mustangs and penske camaro goodness

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
3/17/10 9:04 p.m.

yeah, lets run a Muztang vs. Kamaro race for an hour at .....Laguna?

what does everyone think?

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
3/17/10 10:21 p.m.

Can't commit to "Muscle Car Smackdown 1" (other to say it should be Sebring full ), but I wanted to clear up my previous post about "changing my mind" on the length..since I made the mistake of not saying which way I changed it.

I now support the races being that long, it's the only way I'll learn to clean up my driving. I've gotten pretty lazy running the short ones.

RF, make sure you post the specs..just in case I can be there. I may not do the paint, but I've got credits and can buy/build the car pretty quick.

oldtin
oldtin Reader
3/17/10 10:46 p.m.

I've noticed I'm kinda wound up for the first lap - prone to overenthusiasm and mistakes - clean it up through about lap 6 or 7 and then get a little aggressive again and have to clean it up on the last few. RacerFink and GRM Tom seem to keep their lines and speed throughout.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
3/17/10 11:05 p.m.

In reply to oldtin:

Heh, I'm actually doing the opposite! I lay low early, wait for the tires to heat up-and then immediately start overdriving the car because I notice how far I'm behind. Early apexing, braking too late, and every other stupid rookie mistake I thought I'd driven from my head years ago.

I guess this "virtual" stuff is getting a little more closer to reality than I'd thought..

oldtin
oldtin Reader
3/18/10 1:21 a.m.

Here's one for a trans am B class (race rubber +2 on width, race brakes, race springs, front & rear roll bars) 495 PI. Different kind of driving than the ITR.

racerfink
racerfink Reader
3/18/10 7:27 a.m.

I ran all three cars, the 2007 Mustang GT500 (how many have the DLC 2010 GT500?), the 2010 Camaro, and the Dodge Challenger, all in stock form, around Sebring for a few laps. I was able to run consistent 2:23.0's with both the Chevy and the Dodge, but the Mustang was an absolute handful. Best I could get out of it was a 2:25.5. It's certainly not from a lack of grunt. It just doesn't stop or turn well.

I wanted to put sport suspensions under each car, but the Mustang is proving to be difficult. I may have to put sport brakes, wider and/or stickier tires, and a sport clutch on it to see if it'll come around. I'll have to work on it a little more tonight. I'm off til Sunday morning for work, so I should be able to post the builds to my storefront (for free) by 10am Friday morning.

5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
v8OTG14TStnHHKyN0rM9FSty8FZ56AmB8q5hlsxZdb6iFJm36OWzyOhfE2xOlVxA