1 2 3 4
Daylan C (Forum Supporter)
Daylan C (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/7/20 8:40 a.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

Y'all know they have digital watches now, right? They are easier to read. cheekydevil

I have had a series of digital Casios but I need a second hand for obtaining heart rate and respiration values. 

All my current Casio digitals have a second readout, I know it's just not the same though.

Dr. Hess (Forum Supporter)
Dr. Hess (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/7/20 8:47 a.m.
Mndsm said:

I've seen calculator watches get super popular lately. I used to get the E36 M3 kicked out of me for being a nerd with one.

I had a Casio calculator watch with the game built in, back in the early 80's when I didn't bring the watch pictured above out to sea with me, but I found that having a calculator on my wrist was causing me to loose the ability to do math problems in my head. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/7/20 8:48 a.m.

Analog watches give a better concept of the passage of time. You can see how much of an hour 20 minutes is. 

I went for about a decade without a watch, and that included the era when I started carrying a cellphone. But I started wearing one again 10 years ago or so because they're more convenient and less disruptive than hauling out a phone and I've started doing more time-sensitive things like track days. Besides, they're kinda fun.

Anyhow, as promised, here's the Luminox. It's one of the biggest I own but it's very legible (especially in the dark) and has more color in it than any other watch I have. There is a chrono version of it but I'm not thrilled with the execution.

yupididit
yupididit UberDork
4/7/20 8:50 a.m.
Kylini said:

I used to have a Marathon GSAR, which was a lovely tank of an automatic watch, but I've since switched to a smaller Omega quartz. It might not be a tool watch, but I wear it pretty much everywhere. Unlike the Marathon, this is interview-appropriate too!

One day sir, one day 

slantvaliant (Forum Supporter)
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/7/20 8:51 a.m.

Timex Expedition digital.  It works.  Losing/breaking one is no big loss.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/7/20 8:58 a.m.

I have my old Timex Ironman - I think I had it in high school, which makes it over 30 years old. It's what I wear in the water, kayaking, diving, windsurfing and the like. It is scarred and scuffed and still ticking.

As for the Omega - I bought a used manual Speedmaster a few years ago. It's a classic. And they don't depreciate, so I could sell it for what I paid for it pretty easily. It's nice to have a really dressy watch for when when you're hanging with a certain type of nerd. The Soviet timepieces also work well there, because they screw with watch peepers.

Since I'm at home with nobody to talk to, I shall continue to ramble. This is another of my favorite Soviets. It's old and worn - the stem feels loose and wobbly. It was obviously used for years. I don't know its story before I found it on eBay, but it obviously has one. The big red star is what drew me to it, but I've come to really like it for reasons that are not all that clearly defined.

Katya4me
Katya4me New Reader
4/7/20 9:00 a.m.

Wore Timex watches for quite a long time but a few years ago switched to wearing a smart watch. Currently wearing a Garmin Vivoactive 3.  And when I go diving, I wear a dive computer, not a watch.

Kylini
Kylini Dork
4/7/20 9:03 a.m.
yupididit said:
Kylini said:

I used to have a Marathon GSAR, which was a lovely tank of an automatic watch, but I've since switched to a smaller Omega quartz. It might not be a tool watch, but I wear it pretty much everywhere. Unlike the Marathon, this is interview-appropriate too!

One day sir, one day 

I'm down to one car from three, so I added a watch. It helps that Omega is 20 years old. ;)

Dr. Hess (Forum Supporter)
Dr. Hess (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/7/20 9:03 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I had one or two of the Soviet watches back in the 90's.  I dropped the above watch on the hospital floor when trying to tie it onto my scrubs one day, breaking the crystal.  After getting it fixed, I put it in the safe for a decade or so.  The Soviet watches I had seemed to only last me a year before cratering.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
4/7/20 9:04 a.m.

Chinese column wheel chrono:

XLR99
XLR99 Dork
4/7/20 9:24 a.m.

I love that! I had a much more basic Commandirskie that was also Soviet era, but lost it. I ended up getting a modern era Russian Commandirskie as a replacement, but it doesn't keep time nearly as well as the old one did.

bluej
bluej UberDork
4/7/20 9:25 a.m.

Ooo, I want to play.  This year's Seiko build:

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
4/7/20 9:28 a.m.

Interesting project--where did you source your mod components?

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/7/20 9:33 a.m.
spitfirebill said:

Y'all know they have digital watches now, right? They are easier to read. cheekydevil

You know when you read a digital watch, your brain surreptitiously converts it  to analog?  

Wait, really? Is that actually a thing?

Toyman01 (Forum Supporter)
Toyman01 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/7/20 9:42 a.m.
spitfirebill said:

You know when you read a digital watch, your brain surreptitiously converts it  to analog?  

Wait, really? Is that actually a thing?

I'm going with no, unless you are over a certain age. 

My current watch is a Fitbit Versa.

It replaced a Nixon Rerun that lost a button.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/7/20 9:50 a.m.

Are kids still being taught how to read an analog clock? I suspect they might be, but I'll check with my 7 year old expert. If so, then the certain age is moot.

Toyman01 (Forum Supporter)
Toyman01 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/7/20 10:06 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Are kids still being taught how to read an analog clock? I suspect they might be, but I'll check with my 7 year old expert. If so, then the certain age is moot.

They probably are. My eldest wears a analog. My daughter wears a digital. My 20 yo son wears a analog. My 16 yo doesn't wear one, he uses his phone. I wear digitals most of the time because that's what I'm use to. I can read one instantly. An analog I have to actually read. Doubly true if there aren't any numbers on the dial. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
4/7/20 10:15 a.m.

Worn this daily for 13+ years. Original battery lasted about 8 years so it probably sat on a shelf for 2 years before I ordered it from Amazon. 

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
4/7/20 10:17 a.m.

A Luch one hander I build up. They have a chromed brassed case that I removed the chrome from. Swapped from a flat mineral crystal to a domed acrylic (ignore the scratches I need to polish out). With a Clover Straps custom strap and a bronze buckle. 

With only one hand to tell time it only really tells time to the nearest 5 minutes so perfect for working from home. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/7/20 10:19 a.m.

I have looked at the Soviet watches on eBay but recall having read that eBay is no longer a reliable source. They're usually knock offs with cheap Chinese movements.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
4/7/20 10:20 a.m.

Ok so I really really love watches and used to buy and sell. Not showing my arms because they are seriously hairy. 

My daily is one of the men's floral PINK Rolex datejust. I love this thing and they are rare as hens teeth with the white gold accents. My wife has the matching 32mm in the floral gray with the plain bezel and jubilee band. 

Rolex Oyster Perpetual 36 mm Pink Floral Dial Stainless Steel ...

Still have a acutron spaceview and a few other cheap things I like.

Things I really want but have not found a good one yet is a Martin Braun Eos and I would really like a Green Daytona Beach Rolex.  

Eos tracks sunrise and sunset mechinically the most intersting watch I have ever seen. 

Martin Braun, watchmaker and stargazer – FHH Journal

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
4/7/20 10:26 a.m.

All of my kids were shown in school, 17, 11, 10.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/7/20 10:38 a.m.

I have looked at the Soviet watches on eBay but recall having read that eBay is no longer a reliable source. They're usually knock offs with cheap Chinese movements.

That's been the case for a while. If you find a Commandirskie that looks brand new, it's very disappointing. I learned that the hard way. The valuable vintage ones are also being knocked off. The weirdos like my Poljot Stadium, not so much. Got this one for $40, but I had to supply my own band.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/7/20 10:43 a.m.
Toyman01 (Forum Supporter) said:
Keith Tanner said:

They probably are. My eldest wears a analog. My daughter wears a digital. My 20 yo son wears a analog. My 16 yo doesn't wear one, he uses his phone. I wear digitals most of the time because that's what I'm use to. I can read one instantly. An analog I have to actually read. Doubly true if there aren't any numbers on the dial. 

I suspect it depends on if you need to know exactly what time it is, or if you're trying to get a sense of the time. An analog puts the time in context but takes a little more cognition for accuracy.

Digital vs analog is a really interesting factor in gauge design for cars, too. Analog works well for rapidly changing information or trends where you just need a general sense and not a high number of significant digits. A tachometer or coolant temp, for example. You can glance at the gauge and get a feel for the information without having to really process it. Digital works well for highly accurate, rarely changing information such as speed (at cruise).

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
4/7/20 10:48 a.m.

Yeah there are a lot of crap sellers but there are some reliable sellers on ebay. asap31 (for Vostoks), ruscamera, samun_povt, svtrrts are good sellers of legit soviet era watches.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Mg29yDssFPBnejiV7Q9IkEmoxS92QpnwaiklWknucabe9dszvUHNcbjG3fZHzVXO