Salanis
Salanis Dork
9/2/08 1:22 p.m.

On the less-than-serious side of campaign stances, a McCain aide made disparaging statements about gamers and Obama supporters.

"It may be typical of the pro-Obama Dungeons & Dragons crowd to disparage a fellow countryman's memory of war from the comfort of mom's basement..."

I, for one, am not sure I can support a candidate whose constituents take a stance so against what I view as a personally important social issue.

Original, poorly written geeky article here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/85764-McCain-Campaign-Cheap-Shots-D-D-Players

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
9/2/08 1:24 p.m.

escapist magazine huh?

Salanis
Salanis Dork
9/2/08 1:31 p.m.
belteshazzar wrote: escapist magazine huh?

Apparently.

I got the link from a friend. Hadn't heard of the magazine before. But, Yes, I am a gamer geek.

Never said this was serious... but I'm paying enough for the this entertainment, I might as well get my money's worth out of the campaigning.

captainzib
captainzib Reader
9/2/08 1:52 p.m.

You're a gamer geek but haven't heard of Escapist Magazine? I will admit, the one and only reason I know the name is because of the fact that they host Zero Punctuation Reviews.

Sorry to jack this thread, but it is worthwhile for anyone here interested in videogames to check em out under the videos section of escapist mag's website.

Back on topic, it's not really a good idea to every alienate an entire group of people. As a gamer I resent the fact that people who enjoy videogames will never be seen in the same light as people who enjoy music or movies, or any other form of entertainment. Sure we've all seen people that perpetuate stereotypes but to paint all gamers with the same brush is not much different from generalizing about any other group.

Meh, I wasn't gonna vote for McCain anyway, even before this. Though Palin does look pretty good for her age.

Salanis
Salanis Dork
9/2/08 1:59 p.m.

Another friend on the board we use to coordinate gaming days commented that a lot of service members (which he had been) actually play D&D.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
9/2/08 2:06 p.m.

McCain's not too hip on the whole interweb thing.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH Dork
9/2/08 2:24 p.m.

Jocks don't like Geeks! Film at 11!

Salanis
Salanis Dork
9/2/08 2:29 p.m.

Yeah, but geeks get the coolest toys (evidence, this group). Also, no one ever becomes a rock'n'roll guitar virtuoso because everyone wanted to hang out with them in highschool.

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
9/2/08 3:17 p.m.

I heard McCain is old, and he's just like Bush!

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
9/2/08 3:37 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: I heard McCain is old, and he's just like Bush!

Oh noes! Say it ain't so!!!!!!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
9/2/08 3:47 p.m.

Didnt McCain lead a campaign to ban MMA? So hes anti fight and anti game.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard
9/2/08 3:57 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: McCain's not too hip on the whole interweb thing.

Sarah Palin is really just McCain's computer instructor.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
9/2/08 4:10 p.m.
Tommy Suddard wrote:

I guess my homework was never quite like this...

I got it bad, got it bad, got it bad

I'm hot for teacher.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
9/2/08 4:26 p.m.
Tommy Suddard wrote:

She learned from Ted Stevens that it's really just a series of tubes.

On a more serious note, McCain opposes net neutrality, which is a big problem for me.

Salanis
Salanis Dork
9/2/08 6:01 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: On a more serious note, McCain opposes net neutrality, which is a big problem for me.

Please define "net neutrality". I'm not familiar with that term, although I'll probably know what it is when you describe it.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
9/2/08 6:54 p.m.

The web was founded on net neutrality... it's a basic precept.. that all of us have more or less the same access to what's on the web. Some people with very deep pockets (big telecoms, for example) are arguing that they should be able to "tier" the web, where some sites (their own, and their partners) would get preferred status, and the rest would either be much slower or not offered at all.

see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_neutrality and http://www.google.com/help/netneutrality.html and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9jHOn0EW8U

Salanis
Salanis Dork
9/2/08 7:06 p.m.

Aha. Yes, that is one of those concepts so basic that it boggles my mind that people would try to do otherwise. But somehow doesn't surprise me that organizations with money/power want to control the literal flow of information so that it's favorable to them.

Yeah, being opposed to net neutrality is a problem.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH Dork
9/3/08 12:33 p.m.
Salanis wrote: Aha. Yes, that is one of those concepts so basic that it boggles my mind that people would try to do otherwise.

You're thinking about it all wrong. The basic stuff that nobody would think of messing with is what's most likely to be controlled or taxed.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eKiHM3WzWpSZxJf6geDsnVrFY3WtERoAygu8ApiPZIryz1Pvi60FY1ah4I3jVWNS