eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
9/29/22 3:08 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
eastsideTim said:
Appleseed said:

In reply to Rodan :

What it is, is the last straw. You beat up your back for a while and it ate it without pain or protest. Picking up that pencil was finally enough to get it to break.

Yup.  Between a childhood of playing on the floor with legos, and my teenage propensity to jump down several stairs at a time, my knees are pretty much shot.

Used to do whole flights.

If you grab the handrail on the inside and swing yourself around to the next flight, you need not touch the ground.

That is exactly what I did in my college dorm.

I thought I had fixed the misfire in the Tahoe but I was mistaken.

In my haste to get it running again, I ended up replacing the plug and wire on cylinder #4, not #6. I discovered this today when the misfire on cylinder 6 came back. I went to swap the coils between #6 and #8 when I noticed that I "fixed" the wrong cylinder.

Of course as soon as I touched the plug wire on the real #6 cylinder, it fell apart, just like #4's plug wire did. Good thing I bought a whole set of wires. 

I guess 160k miles of harsh police duty was enough. I'll replace the remaining spark plugs and wires when I get a chance. 

Cchambers13
Cchambers13 Reader
9/29/22 9:17 p.m.

Divorce lawyers... $1040 spent for 11 emails and 40min in person meeting to discuss what was already written... 6 of those emails to re-explain what was written already and discussed in person, no paperwork or preparation...screw it, I'll figure it out on my own now. Motherberklyers.

Cars may be expensive but that felt like literally lighting $100s on fire and not even getting any warmth from it. 

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
9/29/22 10:32 p.m.

I've been trying to keep an eye out for some flavor of wankel for a guy at work who has money and time for such silly shenanigans. One of the local yards is run by a guy I know who does wrenching as a side gig in the evenings. I generally call him once a week or so as once something interesting lands in the yard it never lasts long. So Monday I called and we go back and forth, mostly with him telling me he's trying to save me from heartache and financial ruin... Monday night I happen to drive by his place and in the driveway I spot a beautiful light blue FC. 
Anyway, my rant is even if the car was for sale, I don't have the time, space, or money to buy. But the triangles pull at my soul anyway. 

grover
grover Dork
9/30/22 7:49 a.m.

I've been in the hospital for Crohns complications since Monday. My wife's birthday was yesterday and I was hoping to get out because my primary said I was good to go. GI balked and I asked for data about why given all my tests are good. She said fine-but nurse came in later and said GI didn't tell her. 
GI walked in the morning and said she was surprised to see me since she told everyone yesterday to send me home. 
I love nurses, but dang if they don't have an incredible impact on your life good and bad sometimes. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/30/22 8:51 a.m.

Our parts department hit me with their signature move, again. I'm dropping a new engine in a 2020 Equinox and forgot to order a water pump housing gasket. So yesterday I went in and told them I need a water pump housing gasket, point it out in the parts schematic, and they tell me they can have one the next morning. So yesterday, I got about as far as I could go before I needed to install the water pump housing by 3:30pm.

This morning I go in, ask for my gasket and they bring me out a water pump gasket. No, I need the pump housing gasket. The parts guy then walks out back opens a drawer and pulls a gasket out. Yep, we had it in stock all along.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
9/30/22 10:53 a.m.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2020-ford-gt-5/

$20k Carbon Blue Graphics Package that matches the mirror caps to the center stripe and brake calipers.

Pay $20k for blue mirrors, caliper paint and a stripe? Yes!

a clean Montana title in the name of the seller’s LLC.

Pay taxes like any ordinary schmuck to support the society you've profited absurdly from? Hell no!

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) PowerDork
9/30/22 12:01 p.m.

In reply to grover :

We had an experience like that when The Dancer had emergency surgery last year... all but one of the nurses were wonderful and treated her great and several ended up hanging out in her room for good stretches because she was one of the for people on the floor who weren't pretty much nuts. But ONE of the nurses was a total biatch to her. Insisted on replacing several bags of fluids that had been hung right before she came on shift, and more frustratingly refused to give my wife the pain meds on the schedule that the doctors had set.

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
9/30/22 12:23 p.m.

Leprous is playing vegas, GA tickets still available for around $40.

Tuesday evening. Always on a school night. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/30/22 2:25 p.m.

Not sure why i bothered today. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
9/30/22 3:07 p.m.
NickD said:

Our parts department hit me with their signature move, again. I'm dropping a new engine in a 2020 Equinox and forgot to order a water pump housing gasket. So yesterday I went in and told them I need a water pump housing gasket, point it out in the parts schematic, and they tell me they can have one the next morning. So yesterday, I got about as far as I could go before I needed to install the water pump housing by 3:30pm.

This morning I go in, ask for my gasket and they bring me out a water pump gasket. No, I need the pump housing gasket. The parts guy then walks out back opens a drawer and pulls a gasket out. Yep, we had it in stock all along.

And I get it all together, start the engine up and run it, and the brand-new, straight-from-GM engine leaks oil like a son of a bitch from the upper pan gasket. So, now I get to tear down the new engine and figure out why

wae
wae PowerDork
9/30/22 3:21 p.m.

What is with all these Asian tiger mosquitoes!?  They've always been present around the shop here, but I'm getting just freaking swarmed with them today. 

grover
grover Dork
9/30/22 4:31 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

That nurse never replaces bags. Same for me every time. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/30/22 4:48 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

I've been to dozens of concerts alone and enjoyed almost all of them. If you want to see them go.  I saw Billy Joel last year and it was a great show but at that age who knows how much longer he can keep going.   I took a friend who had never seen him before and she talked about it for weeks afterwards.  

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/30/22 4:56 p.m.

Also been to many concerts alone. No issues with that, nobody cares that you're alone, it isn't awkward at all. Go do it!

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
9/30/22 9:00 p.m.

Once again my boss has weaponized vacation time.  I return in a week, usually I tend to work evenings.  Every day for the first week back.. 6 am.  He does this to everyone who takes a vacation. says you "should be rested" from taking time off.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/30/22 9:03 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine :

My last job was like that - short handed and we used to say you're punished for taking a vacation day.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
10/2/22 12:30 a.m.

I think it's time to dial racing things back to AX only.  

Track car stuff has mostly made me want to punch myself in the face for almost a year now.

grover
grover Dork
10/3/22 2:13 a.m.

Out of the hospital = awesome. 
Insomnia because of Prednisone =/= awesome. 

not sleeping sucks. I've gotta figure this out. 

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
10/3/22 7:56 a.m.

I've never like the UI on reddit, so I never really used it. I've been starting to a little bit looking for information on games and other things. Holy E36 M3. I've never had a high opinion of humanity, and years on Twitter have had me really questioning why we worry about saving it at all, but scrolling through sub reddits about videogames, black stone grills, and the like, I really have to wonder how these people were able to breathe on their own long enough to learn to type. Let alone earn enough money to buy things and live alone. 

If you can read and write well enough to use the internet to look for information, maybe you can read well enough to understand the massive messages on screen or in the instruction manuals to not have a hundred topics discussing something that's already been spelled out in black and white for you. 

Or is the internet just a handful of toddler equivalent AI talking back and forth? It would make more sense if that were the case anyway. Although that's really not fair to toddlers, toddlers will experiment and teach themselves things. These people on reddit seem to need everything spelled out in big block lettered single syllabled words with pictures and diagrams. 

Ashyukun (Robert)
10/3/22 9:27 a.m.
grover said:

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

That nurse never replaces bags. Same for me every time. 

That nurse for us though literally took down and threw away two essentially brand-new bags of saline and hung two new ones... if my wife hadn't needed to be moved to a different room/floor a few hours later (from the general recovery to a cardiac floor- some of the better nurses who were hanging out in the room with us noticed that her heart rate was very low and were concerned and worked out transferring her to the cardiac floor- which was also much quieter and she slept much better that night) which also required new bags I would have fought to have those two removed from our bill. The pain meds though were much more infuriating.

Ashyukun (Robert)
10/3/22 9:31 a.m.

In reply to wae :

They seem to have been much worse this year here as well- we've spent a lot less time in the hot tub this summer because there have just been so many of them that it's not relaxing spending the whole time trying not to get bitten up completely. We spent more time than usual out on the covered porch this weekend painting/cleaning/arranging and The Dancer got a lot of bites- weirdly despite my having been out there more time in total I haven't noticed any new ones at all. When trying to work on the E46 though I'm constantly having to swat them. I would love to have had the yard treated for them, but she's really paranoid that it will be bad for The Dog, and though I do my best to make sure there isn't any standing water for them to breed in around our place I can't do anything about out neighbors' yards or gutters that don't drain properly.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
10/3/22 9:33 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Funny enough,  it was once recommended on here that I return to Reddit where I belong, The period of time it takes you to read this is longer than I've actually spent there. And though I've never witnessed the E36 M3 show that it apparently is, I can't get past the UI long enough to actually read anything meaningful.

Rant:

I see a 500 Abarth every day right now, a white one with the red stripe and white wheels, a look I find so sexy. So I started looking at them again.

A semi-local Toyota dealer has one that looks pretty good, but in the ad it says:

PRICE BEING ADVERTISED IS FINANCE PRICE ONLY. ALL OTHER DEALS (CASH/DRAFT/ PAY-ORDER ETC) WILL HAVE AN ADDITIONAL SURCHARGE OF $1000.

I've never seen that before. I've no interest in paying full price, and certainly no interest in paying $1000 more, or the 7.99% they want to finance it.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
10/3/22 10:04 a.m.
grover said:

Out of the hospital = awesome. 
Insomnia because of Prednisone =/= awesome. 

not sleeping sucks. I've gotta figure this out. 

Years ago my gastro prescribed me hydroxyzine for chronic itching.  I had been questioning him if one of the meds could be causing me to itch.  So he writes me another script!! At least it works for itching.  It is also prescribed for anxiety.  One side effect is it makes me sleepy as the dickens.  Try it, you'll like it.  

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
10/3/22 10:25 a.m.

In reply to RevRico :

Reddit is a cesspool.

I follow a couple of subreddits that are actually relatively positive. They're also ultraspecialized. Two are for a lesser known role-playing game system, and one is just for tracking online sales of vinyl albums and includes no discussion.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
a5W4WK8uxt39fzBoY5G4qmw0XePIXYkQeG1t5kw38RSZE4S2PUmQ9NBPc01fj78T