Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
8/18/16 7:39 p.m.

Newark sucks.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
8/18/16 7:58 p.m.

EA888 engine. Audi A4. Removing cylinder head. This absolutely friggin' sucks.

Remember way back when VWAG and KKK were kind enough to make the turbocharger bolt on from above so you didn't even break a sweat disconencting the exhaust? Yeah, no longer. Integrated turbo/manifold assembly, and one of the nuts is behind one of the turbo outlet studs and you can't access it with the catalyst in place, which you can't easily remove with the engine mount on the car.

Of course, the MAIN problem is that it is a timing chain, not a belt, and when Mr. Leasing Doofus does oil changes every 20k because lazy and cheap and "who cares won't be my car after three years", the chain wears out and Mr. Second Owner gets to commission someone to replace three chains and sixteen valves at just over 100k miles. Hopefully, if a valve head didn't pop off and destroy the head/a piston.

A used engine, incidentally, is $10k locally for a 2.0 TFSI. Found one a few hours away for $4000 but no warranty.

Someone please remind me again why timing belts are bad?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/18/16 8:54 p.m.

58 hours worked and one more day left.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Reader
8/19/16 7:36 a.m.
Knurled wrote: EA888 engine. Audi A4. Removing cylinder head. This absolutely friggin' sucks. Remember way back when VWAG and KKK were kind enough to make the turbocharger bolt on from above so you didn't even break a sweat disconencting the exhaust? Yeah, no longer. Integrated turbo/manifold assembly, and one of the nuts is behind one of the turbo outlet studs and you can't access it with the catalyst in place, which you can't easily remove with the engine mount on the car. Of course, the MAIN problem is that it is a timing chain, not a belt, and when Mr. Leasing Doofus does oil changes every 20k because lazy and cheap and "who cares won't be my car after three years", the chain wears out and Mr. Second Owner gets to commission someone to replace three chains and sixteen valves at just over 100k miles. Hopefully, if a valve head didn't pop off and destroy the head/a piston. A used engine, incidentally, is $10k locally for a 2.0 TFSI. Found one a few hours away for $4000 but no warranty. Someone please remind me again why timing belts are bad?

This is why I will never own an Audi.

Once we had one come in for an oil change and air filter. The air filter took over an hour! VW is just as bad.

Furious_E
Furious_E Dork
8/19/16 7:47 a.m.
AWSX1686 wrote:
Knurled wrote: EA888 engine. Audi A4. Removing cylinder head. This absolutely friggin' sucks. Remember way back when VWAG and KKK were kind enough to make the turbocharger bolt on from above so you didn't even break a sweat disconencting the exhaust? Yeah, no longer. Integrated turbo/manifold assembly, and one of the nuts is behind one of the turbo outlet studs and you can't access it with the catalyst in place, which you can't easily remove with the engine mount on the car. Of course, the MAIN problem is that it is a timing chain, not a belt, and when Mr. Leasing Doofus does oil changes every 20k because lazy and cheap and "who cares won't be my car after three years", the chain wears out and Mr. Second Owner gets to commission someone to replace three chains and sixteen valves at just over 100k miles. Hopefully, if a valve head didn't pop off and destroy the head/a piston. A used engine, incidentally, is $10k locally for a 2.0 TFSI. Found one a few hours away for $4000 but no warranty. Someone please remind me again why timing belts are bad?
This is why I will never own an Audi. Once we had one come in for an oil change and air filter. The air filter took over an hour! VW is just as bad.

I've uttered that very same statement more times than I can count. And yet, for reasons that completely defy logic and all that is good and holy, I've been Craigslisting for cheap A4s the past week or two. What is wrong with me?

WilD
WilD HalfDork
8/19/16 8:04 a.m.

When in a foreign land, you may not realize that extortion at gunpoint is not robbery. Don't ever mention it again or there may be larger extortion payments and a sports committee may be forced to apologize for your actions in order to protect your fellow countrymen from further harassment. No, you are no angel and you did embarrass yourself and your country. Yet, we shouldn't pretend that what happened didn't happen nor should we pile on the bandwagon that seems to be gleefully ignoring the finer details.

Basically, I'm sick of hearing about this.

RevRico
RevRico Dork
8/19/16 10:16 a.m.

If you don't want me to waste my day sitting outside your business telling potential customers how you never finish jobs or return phone calls, maybe you could try returning my phone calls and coming back to finish the job you started LAST YEAR.

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin Dork
8/19/16 10:33 a.m.

We have a guy here at work who seems to think that the company doesn't have the balls to fire him because he has a family to support. He's off his post nearly as much as he's on it, and when he IS on post...he's nodding off nearly half the time!

Did I mention that another guy just got canned for similar behavior last week? It reflects poorly on the rest of us who are trying to do a good job, and potentially puts all our jobs in danger since the contract is going to be re-bid here in the near future...

Ashyukun
Ashyukun SuperDork
8/19/16 10:49 a.m.

I miss the days when it was worth my time to go out to the auto auctions and the cars didn't go for more than they can be reasonably re-sold for (and sellers didn't set reserves at or over blue book).

Furious_E
Furious_E Dork
8/19/16 11:04 a.m.

berkeley...Just got word one of my best friend's father passed away this morning

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/19/16 11:12 a.m.
WilD wrote: When in a foreign land, you may not realize that extortion at gunpoint is not robbery.

From everything I've heard, there was no robbery / extortion / gun at all...?

Nick (picaso) Comstock
Nick (picaso) Comstock UltimaDork
8/19/16 11:23 a.m.

Someone told me my tires suck in the rain. My tires are worlds better in the rain than the stock ones. Then he said well they're good up to a point then they just slide. I'm like all tires are good up until they slide.

Stupid arguments are stupid.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
8/19/16 12:17 p.m.
Furious_E wrote: I've uttered that very same statement more times than I can count. And yet, for reasons that completely defy logic and all that is good and holy, I've been Craigslisting for cheap A4s the past week or two. What is wrong with me?

B5 A4s are simple and easy to work on and are generally bombproof piles of awesome. Of course they are hard to find in non-trashed condition.

WilD
WilD HalfDork
8/19/16 12:39 p.m.

In reply to Duke:

Those facts don't appear to be in dispute anymore. A gun was "used to control" them and they handed over their cash to be allowed to leave. The official stance is apparently that it is OK since the swimmers were drunk and at least one of them allegedly urinated in an alley and knocked over a sign. I watched the video. It basically matched what Lochte initially said happened. Yes, he embellished a bit and left out that they were drunkenly wandering a gas station immediately before the incident. The headlines imply he made it up and has apologized for doing so. This is not the case at all.

Throw in a language barrier and I'm not surprised an American felt like they had been robbed.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
8/19/16 12:43 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
Furious_E wrote: I've uttered that very same statement more times than I can count. And yet, for reasons that completely defy logic and all that is good and holy, I've been Craigslisting for cheap A4s the past week or two. What is wrong with me?
B5 A4s are simple and easy to work on and are generally bombproof piles of awesome.

I don't think I've ever heard of an Audi described this way.

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
8/19/16 1:01 p.m.
Nick (picaso) Comstock wrote: Someone told me my tires suck in the rain. My tires are worlds better in the rain than the stock ones. Then he said well they're good up to a point then they just slide. I'm like all tires are good up until they slide. Stupid arguments are stupid.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
8/19/16 2:00 p.m.

Co-worker dumped his bike a few weeks back and is finally home but needs a ramp to get in and out, his wife will need it even more when she finally gets out of the rehab facility.

Ramp is partly assembled here at the shop but when I ask who is going to go over Saturday morning to install the thing......crickets. So me and one other guy are going to put it in.

8 years ago another co-worker needed a ramp due to fast moving illness. Guess who built that one (with one other guy to help)? Yours truly. I hope somebody steps up when I need wheels to get around.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
8/19/16 2:08 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote: Co-worker dumped his bike a few weeks back and is finally home but needs a ramp to get in and out, his wife will need it even more when she finally gets out of the rehab facility. Ramp is partly assembled here at the shop but when I ask who is going to go over Saturday morning to install the thing......crickets. So me and one other guy are going to put it in. 8 years ago another co-worker needed a ramp due to fast moving illness. Guess who built that one (with one other guy to help)? Yours truly. I hope somebody steps up when I need wheels to get around.

That's kinda how I live my life. As time goes by, I'm concerned that I may have been wrong...

NickD
NickD Dork
8/19/16 2:15 p.m.

All the photos have stopped working on my build thread. Again. Berkeley.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/19/16 3:24 p.m.

I'm involved in a mild on-line pissing contest. There will be no winners, only casualties.

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
8/19/16 3:57 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad:

Id help if you were closer but after building two for people that didn't make it home to use you may not want the help.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/19/16 4:25 p.m.

New client, and we're supposed to get all the deliverables to them yesterday (Thursday) around noon because they need time with it and their deadline is Monday evening. I get half of my consultant's stuff yesterday at quitting time, the other half this afternoon around 3:30, and it's all a clusterberkeleying mess that is taking hours of my time to clean up.

My E36 M3 was done. Just sayin.

Guess my other work that's been piling up gets to wait some more, and forget about leaving early to pack and load for tomorrow's autocross.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
8/20/16 5:03 p.m.

I'm happy to loan my van to a friend for a day so he can get some bulky things from Lowe's. It's my secondary car.

But I do not want to have to take a bunch of time out of my Sunday to bring it by for him and wait or ride along while he runs his errands, then bring it back for myself.

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
8/20/16 7:49 p.m.

My hair is apparently thiner than I realized on the top of my head and the sun burned the ever loving E36 M3 out of the top of my head.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
8/21/16 10:02 p.m.

It seems every other time I do brake work on a car that isn't mine I blow a berkeleying hard line or three coming out of the driveway.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MwyRhkMF4UlZlyWTlFXB3W6k7syaPqGNcbVoZXgbOaZXdmAKmWXnUNNezk97IXL1