1 2
mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/24/20 2:31 p.m.

Spoolpigeon's recent encounter with the wheel of death is prompting this:  We have all wounded ourselves working on our vehicles.  We all see some note of them in offtopic or even minor rants.  Here is a chance to show off the blood and gore.

I will start: I was cutting a hole in my sailboat back in December and the 4" hole saw I was using jumped and put a good sized hole in my hand instead.

And all stitched up.  

I even made it home early enough to make it to work on time.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
6/24/20 2:56 p.m.

Fingertip amputated while LS swapping my TR4:

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
6/24/20 3:02 p.m.

I don't take pictures of hurting myself in the garage because that makes it harder to hide them from my wife. Only been bit by the wheel of death once and I had a bandage on my thumb for way way way longer than would make sense for the "small cut" that I told her about. 

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
6/24/20 3:07 p.m.

I posted this bruise before

but I didn't post the syringe they used to drain the swelling

pulled from insta because apparently I deleted that picture. 

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
6/24/20 3:09 p.m.

Noooooo, I don't like this. I don't like this one bit. Why am I looking at this? 

Bent-Valve (FS)
Bent-Valve (FS) Dork
6/24/20 3:11 p.m.
Indy "Nub" Guy said:

Fingertip amputated while LS swapping my TR4:

I have always said "Its not yours until you bleed for it." But this is a little excessive. 

laugh

Cleaning the alternator mount on the Grand Marquis with a grinder, I wire brushed my index finger. 

Picture is worthless, it made the skin stiff but it still just looks like my finger.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
6/24/20 3:18 p.m.

There was this, but it was racing, so I'm not sure it fits with the theme of the thread? It did hurt and I couldn't hide if from my wife. And it made me miss the Challenge last year. 

TenToeTurbo
TenToeTurbo Dork
6/24/20 3:24 p.m.

Boiling water meets socked feet. The other foot got it too, although not as bad. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/24/20 3:28 p.m.

When you do a bolt check before a mtn bike ride and miss the two that keep the stem tight to the steerer. And then go tumbling OTB down a rock slab when you turn the bars and the front wheel doesn't:

Fortunately, I've managed to avoid garage injuries for awhile. 

To date I haven't had any significant injuries while working in my shop. 

I have a pretty good scar on one wrist from sticking it through a window while chasing a girl when I was 13. Lots of nerve and tendon damage and I still can't feel in half of that hand. I have a toe that is a little mangled from dropping a vice on it when I was 17. Those caused enough pain to make me pretty careful in my adult years. 

The wrist. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
6/24/20 3:30 p.m.

I don't have pics, but I once smashed the hell out of my finger while putting away my trailer ramps. I was picking up the E30 from a shop and I was frustrated because the car was a giant POS. I was bleeding like a stuck pig in the parking lot, and the employees (Steve's European in Waterford, good folks) were kind enough to let me use their bathroom and a first aid kit. Ended up at urgent care that night for stitches.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/24/20 3:42 p.m.

I didn't know we could post old scars too.

I did this when I was about 16 in the stage crew shop. Cutting back wire covering. Knife slipped and the blade went through the top of my finger. Probably should have gotten stitches, but just taped it up and kept working. 

But I have been extremely careful to make sure a knife blade is going away from me when used with force ever since.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
6/24/20 4:15 p.m.

Here is mine from the the cutting wheel thread. 

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
6/24/20 4:20 p.m.

In reply to Bent-Valve (FS) :

Yep. A momentary lapse of judgement, and in a split second slip,  Bang, blood everywhere.  Seriously, my first thought was "Well, I guess I'm done working in the garage for the night" frown

Edit: sorry no pics of the bloody mess.  I was a bit preoccupied.

Trent (Generally supportive dude)
Trent (Generally supportive dude) PowerDork
6/25/20 9:06 a.m.

My current high score in the stitches game

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
6/25/20 9:18 a.m.

I have 2 barely visible scars on the inside of my left thigh from the last time I operated a chainsaw sober, 16 years ago now. On a hill, in the wet, at a weird angle, but I blame sobriety. 

I can't get a good picture of the scar on my index finger from when I slipped pulling a broadhead arrow out of a target. 7 stitches, went to the bone. "Dad I need the duct tape" why? "Uh this", and when I pulled my hand away I shot blood the whole way across the kitchen, made me go get stitches after that. 

All of my deathwheel incidents have been close calls, unlike a lot of you. Really aside from burns I've been pretty accident free since camera phones became a thing. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/25/20 11:13 a.m.

This is where Bella got me a few weeks ago. The bite hurt. Cleaning it myself hurt more.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/25/20 1:28 p.m.

Re:  Spoolpigeon's thread; also be careful with grinding wheels.  Laying under a car to do something with one, I hit the switch with the thing in one hand.  Oleemolee!  The torque twisted it 90* and went after my hand.  That could have ended a lot worse ....

mgfoster
mgfoster New Reader
6/25/20 1:41 p.m.

What a disgusting thread. I'll participate. 

I was a bystander in the garage, not wearing safety glasses, when the harbor freight chain breaking tool shattered while we were attempting to crimp a timing chain. Dumb dumb dumb. 

Punctured the center of my retina and shattered my lens. 2 surgeries later, 10% vision in my left eye and its only peripheral. Buy the right tools for the job and wear some damn glasses. 

Woody
Woody MegaDork
6/25/20 6:57 p.m.

I wrecked my mountain bike today, and I have a nasty bruise. I am icing it as I type this. I refuse to share a photo of the damage.

Sincerely,

Not Carlos Danger

cdowd (Forum Supporter)
cdowd (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/25/20 7:15 p.m.

Tripped on stairs.  If I can find the X-ray of my femur shattered I will post.

Gary
Gary UltraDork
6/25/20 10:48 p.m.

Geez. This is sick and demented ... but sort of like staring at a car wreck from the opposite lane on the interstate. frown

I don't have pics of my detached retina surgery, but that would be entertaining, especially from my vantage point, since I was awake throughout the entire procedure.

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
6/25/20 11:46 p.m.

Mgfoster wins. Cuz eye. Nightmare fuel. I don't have pix of carnage garage or otherwise. Prolly just as well. This here though is my reminder from age 17 that even if you ain't the one running it, you still gotta be Real careful 'round chainsaws. Happy to report that this remains my stitchcount highscore, 23 inside and 17 outside. When I worked at the window mfg shop I visited the ER so often I knew the staff by first name, but they were mostly 10 sutures or less. Not like my pal Mark who picked a 3x4 window up not knowing his brad nailer had run out, so the bead wasn't doing anything, the glass came outta the frame and caught him in the chin. Straight on through to the other side, iirc that was a 60-100 stitch special. 

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
6/26/20 6:48 a.m.

I guess I'm pretty lucky, the worst I have are vasectomy scars.  Though telling the story of the surgery is the best part.

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo Reader
6/26/20 7:21 a.m.

Wear sunscreen!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hTT6wBx5uKgg2uuH5uTSytqgEu1yeb2KThoE6cfxUGZTb38mSmEC5a1IF3eNq9Zo