1 2 3
Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
12/12/19 9:48 p.m.

I created a club for GRM in Dirt Rally 2.0.   With the recent changes to Xbox and Playstation this club is cross platform.   While we cannot race wheel to wheel we can create and compete in rally events and championships.  My hope is I can start a rally event and then let it run during the week while people complete the stages on their own schedule.   

We currently have 3 clubs going.

Non-DLC:  https://dirtrally2.com/clubs/club/232522

DLC:  https://dirtrally2.com/clubs/club/245038

RallyBro:  https://dirtrally2.com/clubs/club/325746 

I'm not 100% sure how this all works but hopefully it allows us some nice competition without needing to coordinate schedules.

engiekev
engiekev Reader
12/16/19 8:09 a.m.

Awesome, joined!  I was just asking if there was a GRM club in the other thread.

shagles
shagles Reader
12/16/19 3:59 p.m.

I've been thinking of picking this up. How close does it get to actual driving in the dirt? I've seen reviews, but it's hard to know if youtube guys have actually ever turned a wheel in anger off the pavement. 

Edit: i do have a wheel setup, so hopefully that helps.

bluej
bluej UberDork
12/16/19 4:12 p.m.
shagles said:

I've been thinking of picking this up. How close does it get to actual driving in the dirt? I've seen reviews, but it's hard to know if youtube guys have actually ever turned a wheel in anger off the pavement. 

Edit: i do have a wheel setup, so hopefully that helps.

I've been curious, too. Is it PC as well?

shagles
shagles Reader
12/17/19 8:50 a.m.

In reply to bluej :

Yeah, it's on Steam

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
12/17/19 10:04 a.m.

In reply to shagles :

I play on PC in VR using an old Logitech wheel with some decent Fanatec Pedals.   It is very very good especially on dirt.   Its better than Dirt Rally driving wise.   The weakest part is the pavement driving which doesn't have the same nuance as it does in games that specialize in that aspect like iRacing or Asetto Corsa.   Its available on Xbox One, PS4, and Steam and all of us can be in one group since we aren't actually connecting together and driving on the same server.   Its more of setting the parameters and letting us all race with those parameters and then comparing times.  

Right now its full price $59.99 on Steam although it goes on sale regularly.  

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
12/17/19 10:09 a.m.

For anyone jumping in I have a couple events rolling I'm trying to figure out exactly how to set them up and how they appear.   Feel free to jump in any you find I'd like to see how the results appear and the like.   Once we get this thing going with a couple drivers we'll start a small championship season.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
12/17/19 11:02 a.m.

Sweet, I may pick this game up. I play on PS4.

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
12/19/19 12:14 p.m.

I started playing with the championship settings and events.   Its pretty nice and flexible for a fairly simple system.   I can create championships from 1 or more events.   Each event is at a location.   We can do as many stages as any given location has per event and we can change surface degradation, weather, and time of day for each stage.   Damage will carry over from stage to stage with some locations having small repairs available at some stages.   

Right now I have it set to do 2 events both taking a week and both with 3 stages in them.   You can jump in and do all 3 stages for the week at once or start and stop at will throughout the week.

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
12/23/19 1:54 p.m.

As we stand right now Dead Tom is leading this championship.   3 days left for this event and then the next location will have 3 stages as well.   Points leader after both events is champ winner.   

My early lead can most be attributed to... no one else competing yet....  : )

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
12/23/19 2:07 p.m.

How many people are participating in this?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
12/23/19 7:35 p.m.

Going to try to join now...

engiekev
engiekev Reader
12/24/19 9:33 a.m.

I'll start racing! Need to look into a VR setup, I think my machine can handle it. It's Oculus rift the way to go still?

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
12/24/19 8:16 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

We just started so I'm running really short championships while we build a user group.   Right now theres just 3 of us but with it being so convenient to compete I think we'll get a good solid showing eventually.

Just accepted Nonack so you should see the event show up in your racenet club section thing in game.

I think the Rift S is the best value.   The Valve Index is better but it requires more computer to push the resolution and refresh rate and its more than 2x the cost of the Rift.   

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
12/24/19 9:29 p.m.
engiekev said:

I'll start racing! Need to look into a VR setup, I think my machine can handle it. It's Oculus rift the way to go still?

A lot of guys on a budget, esp. doing racing only, are using the Odyssey+.  Its way cheaper than the other options.  It uses inside out tracking which means no light tower nonsense as well (but this can be a downside in other games).

That said, I've ranted elsewhere about this but... all of the current headsets except the PiMax suffer from crazy tunnel vision.  Your field of view with the headset on is similar to running a 4:3 ratio monitor lol.  You need to swing your head around a LOT just to see what you would normally see on a 21:9.

That said, the beauty of VR is that you can do that :)

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
12/24/19 10:43 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

What you are seeing is only about 1/2 the screen in headset.   You are missing one eye completely and because I stream at widescreen it cuts the top and bottom off quite a bit from what I see.   If the tunnel vision thing is based on stuff like my stream its not something that happens to me in VR.    I actually have a 21:9 monitor and its what I used to race on before I got my headset.  I see way more in VR than I do in a properly setup screen.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
12/24/19 11:09 p.m.

I compared a couple of headsets to a 16:10 montior and I could see more in the 16:10 monitor (without moving my head).  My 21:9 blows that completely out of the water.  I have screwed around with the Pimax 8k and that is definitely a gamechanger.  I haven't tried the index, so I'm curious how that stacks up as a middleground (and I forgot about this in my earlier statement).

I distinctly recall in Project CARS with a Vive I couldn't see the HUD/cluster at the bottom of the screen without looking down.  And the one thing you can't really do in VR is just glance down with your eyes, you have to move your whole head.

Its a well known issue.  It bothers some more than others.  For most people it is definitely not a deal breaker as the depth & immersion you get in VR outweighs what you give up in FOV.

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
12/25/19 8:26 a.m.

Here's a comparison of my stream from back when I was running my 21:9 monitor for racing and from VR.   The bottom is the stream from my ultrawide driving a Miata the top is VR in a Ferarri.   My monitor FOV is setup using the proper distance to size calculator.  The ultrawide is great I love mine its awesome for gaming and productivity but it doesn't show any more than my VR setup and that's not including one full eye in VR.  The main issues with VR is the fuzziness for distant objects, the screen door effect, and the hardware it takes to run 90fps while driving 2560X1440 worth of pixels.   

Now if you take a regular monitor and crank up the FOV to 110 degrees you will see a lot more but you'll be driving as if you were in the back seat.   The wrong FOV will make the car feel really twitchy and video gamey.   You can certainly learn to drive around it and be fast but you are building a lot of bad habits doing that.   Imagine sitting in a car looking through a picture frame as you move the frame closer you see more and as you move the frame away you will see less of the world through it.   At 27 inches away from my nose my ultrawide had a calculated FOV of around 40 degrees.  An Oculus rift is like taking that same size picture frame and hanging it on your nose so it uses a 110 degree FOV while being accurate to where you are in the car, what you would see and most importantly how it feels.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
12/26/19 7:38 p.m.

Well, I put in my time but so far it's just the two of us.  Anybody else getting in before the time runs out?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
12/27/19 3:17 p.m.

I'll probably grab it when I get back this weekend.

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
12/28/19 4:34 p.m.

Broke my brake pedal.  Its just a strut that holds the bushings so I'm trying JB Weld for now.  If not I'll have to fab up a little piece.   Once I get it fixed I'll put in times for Event 2.   Maybe I'll stream my runs for fun.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
12/28/19 5:36 p.m.

In reply to Maniac0301 :

Truly an immersive rally experience when you have to fix stuff in real life in order to compete!

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
12/28/19 9:07 p.m.

Quick little welding project and I'm back in business.   Notice the heirarchy of materials in use here.

engiekev
engiekev Reader
12/29/19 8:05 a.m.

I just picked up an Oculus rift touch for a good deal, modifying the cockpit today and will hopefully get in there this afternoon!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
12/30/19 5:40 a.m.

Argentina was a super cool choice for the second rally of the championship, I really enjoyed it- even when I knocked my left headlight out on a rock halfway through the night stage.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GyKREL1ZaRx5ayNNSyKcDXEm61AfqCAYZ6wQBK0geqGlQ5SSCtoKoZH4GXn9byHE