2 3 4 5 6
RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
9/17/12 5:55 p.m.

Awesome! E Stock autocross was never this car's strong suit (no doubt due to me being a lousy driver). Glad to see it has found its calling!

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
9/18/12 9:18 a.m.

And after going through my GoPro videos it appears the video of my fast run cut off as the battery died... DAMNIT.

I have a video of me running hard through the first half and then sandbagging the top to stay under breakout time I'll post up later.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
9/18/12 2:34 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAI2egPpwHU&feature=youtu.be

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
9/18/12 2:48 p.m.

Sounds like you are racing in a church. I had always heard rotary engines were loud....

srsly- nice progress.

So TWO posters were at this event? did you guys run into each other? Not literally, of course.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
9/18/12 3:01 p.m.

That RacingBeat exhaust is damn near silent. Nobody could believe how quiet my car was. I'll fix that before next year...

Yeah I've known Seth for a while now. He has great taste in beer and makes some wicked wings.

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
9/18/12 5:39 p.m.

FYI when you sell the RB exhaust: The mufflers are for N/A cars only, but the Y-pipe (I think) is the same for both turbo and N/A cars.

Even when one of the stock mufflers rotted off, that car was still quiet. The stock exhaust manifold and three cat. converters are big exhaust restrictions. My turbo car (which is supposed to be the quieter of the two) has a straight pipe leading to an Apex'i N1 dual melon-shooter exhaust. It does loud very well...

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
9/20/12 8:59 a.m.

Shhhh you can almost hear it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWW-zaOp5Z0&feature=youtu.be

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
9/21/12 10:36 a.m.

Tonight begins the process of tearing it all apart again. I'm not looking forward to sorting out the wiring harness.

Winston
Winston Reader
9/21/12 11:54 a.m.

Looking good! After you get the flares on, it'll look even better.

I have wiring ahead of me on my project as well, and I'm not looking forward to it either.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
9/25/12 4:13 p.m.

Well after a whirlwind of non-car-related stuff that included an 1,100 mile round trip to Virginia and back, I finally get to spend a night in the garage tonight.

I need to do some serious cleaning up before I start taking things apart, but it will be good to spend some time with the rowdy RX7.

Dug up an in-car video from the spring Ascutney in my Miata. Neat to compare it to the RX7.

Miata: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY7-CgSQoIk RX7: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAI2egPpwHU&feature=relmfu

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
9/25/12 10:42 p.m.

Needs more Flare.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
9/26/12 8:51 a.m.

They're coming, but not in metal. Too heavy and too hard to fix should I have an off. I'll be making fiberglass flares so I can have a mold on hand if I need to make a replacement.

Got under the car tonight and after digging a bunch of wood out from my little off-track excursion, I noticed that my left lateral link has a bow in it. Looks like I'll be looking for a quality replacement or figuring out my own fix using heim joints rather than ball joints like the OEM unit.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
10/5/12 8:40 a.m.

Another 35 pounds gone.

What's that burning smell?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Reader
10/5/12 1:37 p.m.

the smell of factory RX7 wiring releasing the magic smoke?

or is it a torch, putty knife, and asphaltbased undercoating/sound deaderner sheets?

looking real good. and i like the exhaust sound.

michael

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
10/5/12 2:34 p.m.

It was actually hot slag in my hair. Forgot to put my hat on.

Exhaust is for sale if you know anyone!

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
10/10/12 5:08 p.m.

I was seriously surprised by how many bolts they used to hold the front fenders on.

Anybody have any experience with these guys: http://www.prodbodies.com/mazda.html

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
10/14/12 9:16 a.m.

No experience with prodbodies, but I'm curious: how'd you like those American Racer tires? And what compound did you use?

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
10/15/12 9:07 a.m.

M28 compound and I like them a lot!

Project is on hold unexpectedly. My Miata spit out its timing belt on the way home from autocross. Gotta decide whether I want to mess with it myself or just let my friendly local performance shop handle it.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
11/2/12 8:44 a.m.

Back at it after a short break to finish off the autocross season. Finished second in points in the Miata and my team took second in the North Country Rumble: Our team name was "The Flying Tigers" hence the vinyl.

The front end is just about stripped and I'm going to start prepping the fenders to make molds for my flares. This weekend I'm dropping the rear sub-frame and differential so I can clean up, re-bush and rebuild the LSD. There was a lot of crud built up inside the body, so I'm giving her a good clean while i'm in here. I need to buy a damn welder so I can do some seam welding.

junpower
junpower New Reader
11/2/12 6:00 p.m.

To bad I don't live in Boston anymore and you don't live in Cali, I got a MIG and Oxy-Ace I would gladly come over and throw down some beads for you, I been building my 90 GTUs up but to shy to post a build thread till I have 100% of the parts and am ready to go. Thumbs up on your build, subbed.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr Reader
11/5/12 8:59 a.m.

Willing to ship the exhaust?

Email me wvumtnbkr@hotmail.com

Thanks!

Rob R.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
11/5/12 10:26 a.m.

I don't see why not. Let me get it off and photographed first though.

I got tied up this weekend repairing damage from HurricaneSuperStormFrankenThing Sandy.

Junpower, don't be shy. I treat this as a build diary. When I get to stuff, I post it. There's no pressure to have constant AWESOME updates.

That said, I'm looking for a good source for fiberglass and carbon fiber for the front fender flare molds/finals.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
11/24/12 4:10 p.m.

Exhaust is hung up on a single hanger that REFUSES to give up. I'm going to chop it tomorrow.

Meanwhile:

I hate wiring. Shoot me. Shoot me now.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
11/24/12 4:12 p.m.

Also, I went rallycrossing in the Miata last weekend.

Decided the RX7 will have to pull double duty when it's done.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
12/13/12 8:43 p.m.

I hate wiring harnesses. Nuff said.

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
imBciRd2HG6c6dfyoQQE1MzPS3w8WavbUg8h5yoRuhVjlVcWVArLRxIqMyGNwbAi