David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/19/10 5:06 p.m.

I got to do some driving in Colorado last week. Nice. That's all.

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
7/19/10 5:23 p.m.

What were you driving?

Leo

David S. Wallens
7/19/10 5:32 p.m.

New Subaru WRX. I was wearing my Grassroots Motorsports hat. I'd like to get back there soon-ish for some more drive time.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
7/19/10 5:33 p.m.

My wife drove around Lake Placid over the weekend, when it says 35 mph you better be. Bambis, trees, no guard rails..... it's very pretty.

Dan

David S. Wallens
7/19/10 5:55 p.m.

Yeah, we were definitely enjoying the scenery. I got some nice photos--lots of red rocks.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 HalfDork
7/19/10 9:02 p.m.

Yours was more fun than mine. I drove back from Raleigh, NC to Alabama today through the mountains. Unfortunately in my wifes Hyundai Sonata and not my Miata.

Leo  Basile
Leo Basile Reader
7/19/10 9:12 p.m.

Im lucky...I live in the Mountain State! West-by God-Virginia. Where the only strait thing we have is moonshine...That sort a came out wrong...but ya get the jist.

Leo

alfadriver
alfadriver Dork
7/20/10 7:15 a.m.

Favorite work trip was out to Denver and up to Dillon. That's a fun week of work.

Couldn't go out TOO far for fear of having problems.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
7/20/10 10:28 a.m.

I'm getting ready to trek from Daytona Beach Florida to Grand Junction Colorado. My wife and I have some incredible roads mapped out for the trip home. Wave if you see us!

DavidLMM
DavidLMM New Reader
7/20/10 3:38 p.m.

In reply to Tom Heath:

If the route brings you through Nashville, let me know... (There are some great roads between Colorado Springs and the Dillon/Keystone area!)

David

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
7/20/10 4:42 p.m.

We'll be somewhat close; we're spending the night in Knoxville and trying to catch some of the "White Lightning Trail" roads that Tennessee is promoting. They photos I've seen of that area so far look gorgeous!

mikecyc72austin
mikecyc72austin
7/21/10 7:15 a.m.

Grew up honing my driving skills all over the Adirondacks and Catskills. Developed a 6th sense for deer, but the roads still only will let you get away with 10 over the speed limit, otherwise you're part of the scenery.

ronbros
ronbros Reader
7/24/10 5:27 p.m.

last yr was up in north Nevada, on lonelyest hiway in usa, rt. 50, had motorhome, comin down this hill,steep, lots of twists and tight turns,almost full lock. no guard rails, big drop off,wife was shakin

at the bottom of hill,on the right was a junkyard,LOL, on the left was a cemetery.

we resumed breathing, and laughed LOL

VClassics
VClassics Reader
7/24/10 6:00 p.m.

About 15 years ago when we lived on the beach in Ventura County, CA, we saw a TV show in which Euell Howser went to a little town called Pozo, about 20 miles due east of San Luis Obispo. There's a saloon there with some interesting history, and supposedly decent food. We decided to make a day trip of visiting it.

Instead of just running up 101, we went around the back way on 33 through Ojai and then over the mountains to Taft and McKittrick, then 58 westbound. The map shows a road from that highway directly to Pozo.

Well, it starts out as a paved road, the it becomes gravel, and then it becomes a goat path that pretty much falls off a cliff -- 2500' altitude drop in maybe 10 miles of switchbacks. At that point, it's not wide enough anywhere to turn around anyway, so we pressed on... and on... and on... and finally got to the bottom and pavement.

Found the saloon and ordered lunch. Waitress asked us how our trip out there went. Pretty good, except that last 10 miles down was sorta slow.

"You came down THAT road?! What are you driving? Last guy who tried it had a Thunderbird, and they never dragged it out of the canyon."

"VW bus... I guess it's just kind of a dune buggy at heart."

We did not try to go back UP that goat path, needless to say.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KjsOikdVRtnDVkh23gz23n5NmYqEaBJ9ft0UdHH7V2571YwanKTUEdbQZrVevlB1