Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
1/31/23 1:55 p.m.

Looking for some input for a brake line flaring kit to handle a full brake line job on a e36 BMW. Going from the old 3 channel brake system to an MK60 system, and running all (or most) new lines to accomplish. 3/16" bubble/double flares (Nicopp) planned for the task but could use some input on a brake flaring/bending kit to make this as idiot proof as possible. 

Also, if one of you has a fancy flaring tool, happy to purchase from you and perhaps send back for a 70% deposit return or something pending your satisfaction with the condition upon arrival. Long time poster/seller and first event is April 1 so would be shipped back by then. 

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
1/31/23 1:56 p.m.

Currently eyeballing this per other research: https://www.inlinetube.com/products/tlf16

Hoping not to spend hundreds so I can buy the tires I have been annoying you all about....

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy SuperDork
1/31/23 1:59 p.m.

I've tried a few different tools with limited success  (I have not tried the one you linked).  The Eastwood tool works beautifully, but you pretty much need to have the line off the car to use it.

HotNotch
HotNotch New Reader
1/31/23 2:23 p.m.

That inline tube one linked is the cat's meow.   I used it quite a bit and it was the sweet spot for accessability, speed, and a quality flare.

I need to buy another one as I broke mine the last time I used it, but it was user error.

I also have the full hydraulic Mastercool kit, but again, the small one linked above was easiest for using on the car itself, instead of on the bench.

I bought mine on Amazon for cheaper if memory serves.  Ares brand on amazon has it for 42$, with free prime shipping.

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
1/31/23 2:28 p.m.

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-tools/tube-flaring-tool/p/oemtools-double-flaring-tool-set-7-piece/864647_0_0

I have the Mastercool hydraulic kit, I used to have the Eastwood manual set. I trackside emergency brought me to this set and I couldn't be happier with it given the price point. The only thing the Mastercool does better is stainless old school but quality is my go to. 

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
1/31/23 2:28 p.m.

Thanks! Not sure if I will be doing these flares mostly on car. Thinking I could probably mock up most off the car, mount them where I can install without bending post install, and possibly have a pair of unions for the hard to manage areas so I could do the entire setup off car? 

Or should I just do it all on car and flare with the small tool? 

This is strictly a beatup racecar so function/ease and safety #1. Considering putting the ABS pump/controller in cabin to further simplify the engine bay.

Only thing on the passenger side currently is an accusump.

adam525i
adam525i Dork
1/31/23 2:38 p.m.

Nicopp is pretty easy to flare, I think you'll find the tool you linked will work well for you on or off the car. Make sure to get a decent little pipe cutter too and something to ream the end of the pipe.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
1/31/23 2:48 p.m.

Thanks Adam, 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider UberDork
1/31/23 6:22 p.m.

I have an Eastwood one collecting dust and given my cars now I don't see a need for it. 

https://www.eastwood.com/professional-brake-tubing-flaring-tool.html

If you are interested, I can work out a deal on it probably.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
1/31/23 6:58 p.m.

The nice thing about the Mastercool is all of the different accessories you can get.

I mean, you may not feel a need to do 37 degree single flares NOW, but someday you may want to do a bunch of AN hardline. Like, for example, connecting up to AN male ends on a fuel rail.  And if you are doing this in a vehicle with normal 8mm quick disconnect fittings, you can make the other end too...

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/31/23 8:11 p.m.

Bought one of these. tossed all of my other tools away. Was used to 85% success and this does 100%.  All of those bar-clamp tools are CRAP compared to this.

Nitroracer (Forum Supporter)
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/31/23 10:49 p.m.

I went with the same tool NOHOME has.  Totally worth the price of entry.  I don't know why I bothered fighting with the old E36 M3ty tools for so long.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
2/1/23 8:46 a.m.

Mastercool. I had never successfully made a flare till I bought it, and the first car I did so far went perfectly and has no leaks. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JrYYNDqVG8oYQPDYHdAcNpMcONlhoPRI5K2rDRjC4xZDnfTYjmDP5y8xObNXRdf8