buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
6/12/22 5:38 p.m.

The racecar needs to be painted again. Nothing fancy, don't need metallic. Single stage is fine. It's a $740 w2w car with bumps and dings. What I'm having trouble finding is the color I want. Last time I painted the car I did a Calypso Green Metallic and it was a little too dark and a little too blue for what I wanted. Here is my color pallette and I'd like one of the left two colors, preferably the second one. I can't find where I bought my last gallon of paint. It was like $90 all in. I'm wondering if such a deal still exists and if it's possible to find custom colors at that price, or if I need to find an OEM color that matches what I want.

Question number two. The old AMG cars painted the grill and surround to match the car. I love the look and want to emulate it with my W116 grill. However, it's chromed. Anything to think about for painting it? Just sand it down and prime?

wake74
wake74 Reader
6/12/22 5:43 p.m.

I shot the FF in Kirker Ultra-Glo Urethane I bought from TP Tools.  Seemed to be about the least expensive SS I could find.  Laid down fairly well with my basic Devilbiss gun.  I think the black was like $59 / 0.75 gallon, and the $89 / 0.75 for red.  Can't really beat that, and way cheaper than the BC/CC I shot on the TR6.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
6/12/22 7:08 p.m.

For race cars I use a decent industrial enamel. I used Limco paints the last few times and they held up well and looked really good.

I haven't painted anything in a while, but automotive supply shops should custom tint it for you if you show them a colour.

GeddesB
GeddesB Reader
6/12/22 7:59 p.m.
californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
6/12/22 9:03 p.m.

I liked the tractor supply paint but it took a long time to dry without using hardener , 

How does normal automotive paint stick to the tractor supply enamel .

rustyvw
rustyvw Dork
6/12/22 9:20 p.m.

You should try https://paintforcars.com/ their prices are good.  A couple people on this board recommended them when I asked about painting the Saab.  

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
6/12/22 9:46 p.m.

In reply to wake74 :

Oooh, I'm checking them out. Another good source

In reply to Peabody :

The first time I shot the car was with an industrial enamel. Shot easy, laid flat, looked good, and didn't hold up great. Maybe I'll try a different brand and better prep.

In reply to GeddesB :

I wouldn't mind a cheap tractor paint like that but I want a custom color. I suppose I could try and mix it myself. Hmmm....

itsarebuild
itsarebuild Dork
6/12/22 9:55 p.m.

For chrome nothing really seems to work forever. I have had my best luck scuffing with a scotch right then using self etching primer before a sandable primer. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
6/13/22 12:13 p.m.

Years ago when the Paint your car with a roller fade was going , 

it seemed that Rustoleum was made by the same company that made the paint for Ace Hardware etc , 

So  maybe looking up who makes Tractor Supply paint or whatever paint you are thinking about , 

My only worry is what happens when you later  paint over this alkyd  enamel paint with synthetic paint , will it react , not stick or bubble ?   I have no idea.....

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
6/14/22 8:10 a.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

I still have a car that I painted with Limco enamel from the local auto supply place, early 2003 and it's held up very well. I think it was ~$50/gallon then

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
m8Sjso7O6PwGDpaytXk0yvEkG2ksNs6RvG6M0gNXqVQAXRYYJIBMn6A6cBKDtNmu