2 3 4
ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
3/19/17 9:32 p.m.

MK2 Golf?

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
3/19/17 9:32 p.m.

Would this satisfy the scca rally cross hard top requirement?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/19/17 9:38 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: MK2 Golf?

Interesting suggestion. I think it's too wide overall.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
3/19/17 9:39 p.m.
SVreX wrote: In reply to MrJoshua: Too heavy, and the wrap down sides will not enable seating properly on the fenders. I needs something that looks more "flat".

I tried to get an image inserted when I posted that but my wifi is spotty. I switched from 2nd gen talks when you built the mumpkin one to first gen here. First gen just lifts the middle.

Leave out the side glass portion and build your top around the shape. It is probably still too big to work.

Sigh, now i miss my first gens.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
3/19/17 9:43 p.m.

Have you looked at Pacer rear glass?

Are those still even available?

How about Big 3 cargo van side glass or even Astro's?

Any large sunroof glass that's fairly common?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/19/17 9:49 p.m.

My ideas are too expensive...

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
3/19/17 9:59 p.m.

350Z?

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
3/19/17 10:12 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

Check into what glass costs for those, maybe safelite or someone makes a cheap aftermarket unit.

Stampie
Stampie Dork
3/19/17 10:32 p.m.

Juke?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
3/19/17 11:18 p.m.

Bad hatch, nice glass:

STM317
STM317 Dork
3/20/17 5:19 a.m.

C7 rear glass has the right shape, but might be too large and/or expensive

klb67
klb67 Reader
3/20/17 6:11 a.m.

I don't know Porsches but Google search revealed a post that says the 1965-1988 911 uses the same rear window Part # 911.545.105.00 / 911.545.107.00. He was selling a 3 piece rear and quarter window lexan kit for 400 bucks (several years ago). Even if OEM parts are expensive you should be able to find a knock off or use Lexan.

Other ideas are Hyundai Genesis, 65-66 Mustang, 71-73 Mustang, and I wondered about the most 2-3 Mustang versions.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
3/20/17 7:06 a.m.
joey48442 wrote: I would love one. Love love love one. I'd even drive down and bring it home. Unfortunately I think the most is be able to justify on a hardtop is maybe 1500. I have a stock miata hardtop... I've often wondered if someone could make a fastback "add on" for a stock too though...

Someone was making a piece that was bolted in place of the rear glass and trunk lid. I'll see if I can find a picture or link.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/20/17 7:14 a.m.

In reply to klb67:

Mustang is much too wide.

The Mumpkin roof was actually molded from a Mustang (look again- you'll see it). But it was narrowed by 5" at the top, and 8" at the rear.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
3/20/17 7:18 a.m.

I just roughly measured the width of my Miata hardtop, and the distance from the top of the glass to the back of the trunk lid. You would need a piece of glass that's 36x36 , or less. All the decent looking fastback linked in this thread have a taper to the window, too. I can't think of a window that would work, other than other fastbacks and they may be too long.
Someone measure a 1st generation RX7 and see how big it is. To deal with the fuel filler location the top will almost have to taper, so that rule out the RX7 as a donor.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
3/20/17 7:24 a.m.

I know !!....I know !!....make it a split window design and use side windows from another vehicle. The Corvette club will hate it.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/20/17 7:28 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk:

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
3/20/17 7:28 a.m.
icaneat50eggs wrote: Would this satisfy the scca rally cross hard top requirement?

No, it would be illegal both because it is not an OEM hardtop and it changes the silhouette of the car.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
3/20/17 7:31 a.m.

If the top could be designed to utilize glass with parallel sides there may be some sunroof glass panels that could work.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/20/17 7:35 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk:

The Warhorse solution (on page 2) uses glass that doesn't taper (much), and solves the fuel filler problem with a folded door (which doesn't look bad).

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
3/20/17 7:36 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk:

Or minivan rear side windows.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
3/20/17 9:02 a.m.

I like the Warhorse fuel filler solution better than Autokonexion's, but it will add complexity and cost. Because Warhorse went with a wider window their top lays over the rear fenders, where the Autokonexion top narrows down to the width of the trunk opening. A combination of Warhorse window and fuel filler, with the Autokonexion rear edge would look great. Have at it, Lad.

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Q6Nf3FmLFb3RbuVToCditdBrilP9jhrKr55gjPAesQd4bE3lG7eHKDAwZiarkxUO