Desmond
Desmond Reader
11/6/15 1:21 a.m.

So I need a helmet for an upcoming event at the end of this month. I usually borrow or rent one, but I've decided I want to get my own. Some of those rental helmets are nasty...

My first question is do you guys think its worth shelling out a little extra to grab an SA2015 rated helmet, or am I much better off grabbing a discounted SA2010?

Second question: Where are the best places to buy from? What places offer free shipping, better prices, that sort of thing.

I noticed a lot of these online safety gear shops DONT have any SA2015 helmets in stock yet. I've only found a few that stock them at the lower price point.

Finally, I would love some recommendations as far as style and brand of helmet go. Just tell me what you've got, why you like it, and what you dont like about it. I'll be using the helmet for track days, autocross, drift events, everything motorsport related really. I would prefer a bigger visor because I think I would like the greater visibility. Also, it seems like some local events dont allow open face helmets.

I think thats it really. I would like to spend around $200 to $300, but I will gladly spend $500 or more if for whatever reason it makes more sense to or something. Thats why I'm here, because I just wouldnt know.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ALL THE HELP!!!

EDIT: These two sites seem to have a bunch of SA2015 helmets stocked.

http://www.saferacer.com/auto-racing-helmets

http://apexperformance-net.3dcartstores.com/SA2015-Helmets_c_1.html

Don49
Don49 HalfDork
11/6/15 5:13 a.m.

For the difference in price, get a 2015. The Racequip seems like a good buy at around $200.

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
11/6/15 5:21 a.m.

I am of the opinion that a helmet should be replaced after five years of use. It is my understanding that the SA2010 spec will be good for longer than that.

I have also seen that speedway motors had some nice discounts on the older spec.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
11/6/15 6:28 a.m.

FWIW I have a very slightly used SA2010 for sale … I bought it and found that it didn't fit well enough for me to keep …. $50 (includes dark shield, and new unused clear shield) .. pics upon request

MrLittle
MrLittle New Reader
11/6/15 6:32 a.m.

In reply to wbjones:

If the OP isn't interested, I am. What size?

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
11/6/15 6:33 a.m.

XL, HJC, white … comes drilled for HNR

flatlander937
flatlander937 Reader
11/6/15 8:22 a.m.

I recommend you buy one in person somewhere.

I got my black Simpson Bandit from US Race Gear in Cincinnati a few years ago. I was dead set on some Bell or GForce helmet, but neither fit me well at all. The guy there brought out 4-5 helmets in my approx size different brands, I tried them all on and got what was most comfortable. www.usracegear.com

Previously I bought a GForce helmet elsewhere online that should have fit based on measurements... It did not. $25 or so restocking fee later lesson learned.

Edit: for just auto-x SA2010 is legal until SA2025 comes out I believe. I know SA2000 was good until SA2015 showed up.

If you are ONLY auto-xing, SA2010 is fine, but if you want to do track days or TT or something else, I'd buy a SA2015 model.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
11/6/15 12:54 p.m.

In reply to flatlander937:

I bought my simple helmet for rally/autocross there too, around 2011 I think. I didn't want to go online, kinda got a big melon and wanted to make sure the damn thing fit.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
11/6/15 1:22 p.m.

In reply to Jerry:

I'll be buying another identical m2010 snell Bell Vortex to replace the one that did its job(that one, with its 5 total scratches, will be my autox lid for the next several years lol)

drdisque
drdisque Reader
11/6/15 1:36 p.m.

I just ordered an open face G-Force SA2010 from SafeRacer on clearance a few weeks ago as my SA2000 was expiring. In just 2.5 seasons of use my 2000 was pretty much trashed so I figure my "new" SA2010 will be pretty much destroyed by 2020 and then I can get an SA2015 on clearance. I did get essentially the same model as my old helmet so I already had a pretty good idea of how well it would fit. I only do autocross so thus I don't really worry about using a little bit older helmet (or using an open face for that matter).

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
11/6/15 4:29 p.m.

Depends on how much you'll use it. I'm doing a full season of club racing which is a few 4-session practice days, lots of 2 session Saturdays and one session Sundays. Plus some instructing HPDEs which can be up to 15 sessions a day if you have 2 students, drive in the instructor group and take students out in your car during the advanced group. Also, I'm in an open cockpit aero car at a track with a lot of gravel and crud and I'm lapping formula vees and Fords which dump lots of oil mist.

More use equals using the helmet up. Washing the sweaty liner in season and at the end of the season helps, but 4 or 5 seasons and a lid is getting kind of beat. Sure, I'd love an Arai GP6. But it'd look like an asteroid in 5 years, so no.

Desmond
Desmond Reader
11/6/15 4:30 p.m.

The only local places that I know of that sell helmets seem to mark them up a lot. I'll probably end up ordering online.

What do you guys think of this helmet? Seems good for the price:

http://shop.racequip.com/p/pro15-sa-2015-medium-white

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
r9yUMZyHn51HNpSCppwt5bMHAD7W70I1WldqsPd4a92dbpMA0YLL0M16O38sxtcT