1 2
Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
11/13/19 8:46 p.m.

I just noticed how much these have depreciated. I've wanted a sport sedan for a while, and have been keeping an eye out for E46 M3s. However, the odds are very good I will never take it on the track, and for just regular street duty, the C55 AMG seems to be a solid choice at about half the price. The early C63s are a bit more expensive, but from what I've read so far, are a bit better at doing everything as well. 

I realize maintenance is king on these cars, and paying several thousands of dollars more up front for a well cared for example is probably the most important thing.

Are there any specific issues with these cars? I don't want to have to wind up doing my own AMG rebuild thread.

ccrelan
ccrelan Reader
11/13/19 9:12 p.m.

2005-2006 Mercedes C55 would be the far more cheap car to run.  The 5.4 M113 and 722.6 trans is a bulletproof drivetrain.

Dave M
Dave M HalfDork
11/14/19 6:07 a.m.

This calls to mind the old joke about how to be a millionaire:

Step 1: be a billionaire

Step 2: buy an airline

Seriously though, those C55s are awesome (although my personal fave is the E55).

yupididit
yupididit UberDork
11/14/19 7:19 a.m.

Just know the c55 and clk55 never got the supercharged m113, they're the naturally aspirated 5.4 with something like 362hp vs 469hp like it's other post-2003 55AMG brethren. 

They're very reliable though. And fast, faster than they feel! They don't have any "must fix before you drive" kind of issues but a tune-up isn't the cheapest lol.

I'd do it, obviously 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
11/14/19 7:22 a.m.

I love the n/a 5.4 after owning one for 70.5 hours .  I never expected a benz to accelerate that violently 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
11/14/19 1:11 p.m.

Alright, good so far.

I'm obviously doing a bit of research on my end, too.

LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout Reader
11/14/19 1:33 p.m.

I currently have a 2013 C63 Coupe.  The first gen C63 (what they call pre-facelift) have a known issue which you would want to address.  Its the same issue that mazdeuce - Seth  ran into with the now infamous R63.

I purchased a 2013 specifically because they had updated the head bolts by then, and you can do the same to the early ones and then they are great.  There is also some talk about the lifters, but it doesn't seem to be as widespread.

If you do go C63 there are some packages you want to look at, if possible.  The P30 package, which gives you different brakes, more power, a few other things inside the car. 

I found good info over at https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204-93/  including a VIN decoding thread that was a huge help.

Getting an ECU flash and changing the exhaust is what most people end up doing, that's what mine has, and it's super noisy, and fun. but still nice on the highway noise wise.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
11/14/19 9:11 p.m.

A luxury sedan was never really a serious consideration until recently, so I know almost nothing about them. A *GERMAN* luxo-barge was even less likely. Researching this has been a HUGE rabbit hole. 

I think the C and CLK AMGs are right in the sweet spot of depreciation. The E-class AMGs look to be monstrous and about the same size as an E39 5 series. Then there is the CLS series, which looks kind of like a cat arching its back, but can also apparently haul ass.

Geez.

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
11/14/19 10:55 p.m.

I don't like the steering in the CLK's. Having driven the snot out of a supercharged E55, I would not wanna drop down to a c55 but that's me. Cuz really there is nothing wrong with that car... cept for maybe not enough brakes.  A good C63, headbolt issue dealt with, properly taken care of, go for it. Same thing with an E55. With thise, make sure the SBC unit has been replaced along with the fuel tank sender unit, both of which are still warranty items. Yeah, an e55 is a big heavy car. But geez when it's parked next to a current Camry, it really ain't any bigger than that.

And it... is... so... much fun to drive. 

Wiscocrashtest
Wiscocrashtest New Reader
11/15/19 8:47 a.m.

I think the C55 is very cool and probably the most painless way into AMG ownership. The C55 is lighter than the CLK55. If you do like 2-doors, the CLK550 makes 380bhp and doesn't really cost much more than the AMG cars.

They made a few C209 CLK63's but they are all convertible, and I think all black?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/15/19 8:51 a.m.
LifeIsStout said:

I currently have a 2013 C63 Coupe.  The first gen C63 (what they call pre-facelift) have a known issue which you would want to address.  Its the same issue that mazdeuce - Seth  ran into with the now infamous R63.

I purchased a 2013 specifically because they had updated the head bolts by then, and you can do the same to the early ones and then they are great.  There is also some talk about the lifters, but it doesn't seem to be as widespread.

If you do go C63 there are some packages you want to look at, if possible.  The P30 package, which gives you different brakes, more power, a few other things inside the car. 

I found good info over at https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204-93/  including a VIN decoding thread that was a huge help.

Getting an ECU flash and changing the exhaust is what most people end up doing, that's what mine has, and it's super noisy, and fun. but still nice on the highway noise wise.

I've seen a few mentions across the board about some horrific, expensive AMG build.........link? 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
11/15/19 10:01 a.m.

Wow didn't realize C55 were so cheap 

why did ai get a 2001 GSR sedan when I can have an AMG? 

looks like I made a mistake. Time to go craigs list hunting 

fatallightning
fatallightning New Reader
11/15/19 11:21 a.m.
Jay_W said:

I don't like the steering in the CLK's. Having driven the snot out of a supercharged E55, I would not wanna drop down to a c55 but that's me. Cuz really there is nothing wrong with that car... cept for maybe not enough brakes.  A good C63, headbolt issue dealt with, properly taken care of, go for it. Same thing with an E55. With thise, make sure the SBC unit has been replaced along with the fuel tank sender unit, both of which are still warranty items. Yeah, an e55 is a big heavy car. But geez when it's parked next to a current Camry, it really ain't any bigger than that.

And it... is... so... much fun to drive. 

You just made me aware of the fuel tank campaign on my wife CLS550. Thanks! I was getting the fumes on fillups.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
11/16/19 8:58 a.m.

I had an E55 AMG with the supercharger.  Was great but soul-less.  Don't really miss it.  But holy smokes was it fast especially with the full Eurocharged catalog thrown at it.  

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
11/16/19 9:09 a.m.

Wheeler Dealers did a 2002 version. I wish I never watched it. Paid $4000 US sold for $7500. 

That's a lot of car for the money.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
11/16/19 9:10 a.m.
93gsxturbo said:

I had an E55 AMG with the supercharger.  Was great but soul-less.  Don't really miss it.  But holy smokes was it fast especially with the full Eurocharged catalog thrown at it.  

Soullless AMG? 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
11/16/19 3:15 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
93gsxturbo said:

Soullless AMG? 

All fast, no drama.  Coming from a supercharged C5 Corvette and going to a yellow Viper, yes a silver E55 AMG is soulless.  

chandler
chandler PowerDork
11/16/19 6:21 p.m.
Patrick said:

I love the n/a 5.4 after owning one for 70.5 hours .  I never expected a benz to accelerate that violently 

I did tell you, mine ate brakes and tires; lots and lots of tires.

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
11/16/19 6:29 p.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

(Thinks to self, "self, you gotta go drive a Viper sometime cuz you think this hotrod E55 of yours is pretty dramatic when you give it any throttle a'tall")

It's the iron fist in the velvet glove thing that AMG does so well that I like about this car. 

yupididit
yupididit UberDork
11/16/19 7:21 p.m.
93gsxturbo said:
mr2s2000elise said:
93gsxturbo said:

Soullless AMG? 

All fast, no drama.  Coming from a supercharged C5 Corvette and going to a yellow Viper, yes a silver E55 AMG is soulless.  

Um yeah if you compare a high powered German sedan to American supercars then yeah It might seem a bit pedestrian Lol

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
11/16/19 9:11 p.m.

I really quite like my CLS63.  It's a thug in a custom tailored suit.  Originally $105k, I bought it for $18k with 93k on it 5 years ago.  Now at 149k, only problem has been one coil pack and basic maintenance.  AMG specific parts are expensive (especially the P030 package specific parts), but the shared parts with the E class are downright cheap.  It is brilliant to drive, it is best at crossing continents, which was great when we used it at One Lap.  Right now I'm doing some heavy maintenance to proactively address the M156 issues (head bolts, lifters) before it is a problem, as now it is only $800 in parts to fix it all.  Every once in a while I really give it the beans and get surprised at how ballistic the car is, because in day to day driving it is so placid, but when you want to go fas you need to make sure the road is clear ahead of you.  

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
11/16/19 9:32 p.m.

Thug in a custom tailored suit. Perfect. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltimaDork
11/17/19 12:17 a.m.

I went from asking about AMGs to buying a OBDI Camaro Z28 because the Chevy was a hell of a deal.

I'm not sure what is wrong with me.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
11/18/19 6:35 p.m.

My Brother and I are no longer allowed to drive C63 AMGs anymore, but man, it was fun while it lasted. They are truly amazing.

yupididit
yupididit UberDork
11/18/19 6:42 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

My Brother and I are no longer allowed to drive C63 AMGs anymore, but man, it was fun while it lasted. They are truly amazing.

What's the story? 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QeL8gNLYyYc1GK4OOZ4vjMo8Nsji0TzV8gafVuamztlFu8IlLgCWXrMyyzLkdiBg