SkinnyG
SkinnyG New Reader
7/2/08 5:28 p.m.

I need something more reliable - any suggestions??

I've been running a Mr. Gasket low pressure pump to feed my surge tank.

The first one was a leaker even before the car was registered.

The second one died yesterday, on the way home from coffee with a buddy. That's about 7000km's on it.

Nice.

Cheap piece of crap.

I wonder if they just aren't enjoying starvation when I autocross....

And of course, it was July 1st - Canada Day, eh?! The thing quits at 4:30 a block past WalMart, and all the shops close at 5:00 (if they're open at all).

I hoofed it all the way to our local LordCo auto parts (where I got the previous two pumps), got there at 4:57 and bought a new pump ($50). I'd look elsewhere if it weren't for timing and all.

Hoofed it to Home Depot and bought a cheap utility knife ($2.65) and one of them Leatherman equivalent all-in-one thingies ($13) and headed back to the car to swap the pump.

Great fun was had by all.

This after just heading home from buying a new wrist watch ($36, Timex) because my last one ($19, Casio) couldn't last one year.

Happy Canada Eh?!

G

Lethal Locost in Reader's Rides

geomiata
geomiata New Reader
7/2/08 5:55 p.m.

well done fixing it by yourself on the side of the road, we had an excellent time here in the okanagen, nothing car related though. I like the locost btw.

daytonaer
daytonaer New Reader
7/2/08 9:28 p.m.

If you can find someone who works at an autozone who knows what they are doing... They sell an electronic fuel pump conversion kit that is NOT listed in their computer. Its on their shelve and someone who has been there for a while will know where it is.

They look more like the older external fuel pumps on early FI cars that would be bolted to the frame rail. Its the pump some wires hoses and clamps if you start opening boxes. May be like a 6005 or 6thousand something number, its been a while?? might not be. Used to cost about $60, probably more now. The computers used to list it when you would look up mechanical fuel pumps for older cars as another option, not sure if it still does that.

The "micro" pumps like you have are prone to failure regardless of how they are used. I have seen many fail. The only other avenue would be in the RV world, but I have no knowledge of their stuff. Don't know how well this info will translate to canadian aftermarket but I know these kits are out there, most cookie cutter parts stores stock the same manufacture fuel pumps.

daytonaer
daytonaer New Reader
7/2/08 9:33 p.m.

E8012s, says I can get it for $36, so I don't know why the price dropped. These used to be the thing to run after people would return 2x "micro" pumps.

Link

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
7/2/08 10:08 p.m.

that is a pump for a carbed car, right? I had great luck with the Facet pumps in my many fiats. I used the same pump in several cars without issue.. including one car that I needed to change the fuel filter in every two weeks due to rust in the tank

oldopelguy
oldopelguy HalfDork
7/2/08 10:53 p.m.

The one daytonaer linked to is the one I always use myself, mostly because it's about 1/1000000000th as loud as the Facet or one you currently have in there. Never had a problem with one.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG New Reader
7/2/08 11:41 p.m.

Sweet. I think I'll pick one up and keep it in the boot for the inevitable. Thanks!

Wall-e
Wall-e SuperDork
7/3/08 2:05 a.m.

I've had good luck with the Holley Blue pumps, though they don't paint them blue anymore

http://www.holley.com/12-802-1.asp

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
7/3/08 3:33 a.m.

what's wrong with the taptaptaptapping the facet does? I used to use it as a way to tell when the fuel pressure was up to par.

Turn the key to on.. listen to the tapping.. and as it went from loud to soft as it built up pressure.. start the car. Certainly made owning an italian car a lot less uncertain when you can tell for certain a part is working the way it is supposed to

44Dwarf
44Dwarf New Reader
7/3/08 6:20 a.m.

A small square Facet pump lasted 11 years in my dwarf car but 2nd tank of this 10% alky fuel we have now stopped it dead. Now i have a round AIRTEX unit and all is good.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/3/08 7:24 a.m.

I have used both the Facet 'square' and Airtex round pumps with good results, there's a round Airtex on the J-H right now. That Mr. Gasket 'round top' is a Chinese knockoff of a Facet square design.

youngfg
youngfg New Reader
7/3/08 7:25 a.m.

I will second the Autozone pump that's what I had in my Locost. It's been going for five years without a problem. Here is a pic of it in the car.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
7/3/08 10:34 a.m.

We have a Facet in the Westfield for a low-pressure pump. I've never noticed a noise from it, honestly. Must be broken :) The high pressure pump is a Pierburg, which is pretty much indestructible. I don't know if they make a low-pressure pump, but if they do I wouldn't hesitate to use one.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf New Reader
7/3/08 1:14 p.m.

The one in the pict above is the same AIRTEX unit i use. Even has the "can" on the end.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH Dork
7/3/08 1:19 p.m.

An idea to prevent starvation (although I don't know how conventional the fuel tank is):

This is a remote-mounted pump if I understand correctly, and I would guess the pickup is hanging in the fuel tank. In the tank, around the pickup you add this:

A metal box with no top, that is as big and tall as possible. It should have four holes at the bottom corners, that are as small as possible (box shouldn't drain at full throttle, but at the same time you may want more flow for an AutoXer). That way, when the car goes through a mind-bendingly hard AutoX corner, when the fuel sloshes to one side, the big box still has fuel in it that slowly drains out through the bottom holes, preventing starvation (at least for a while). When you go back on the straight (or in the case of an AutoX, when transitioning between corners), the fuel can refill the box through these same holes. This is a pretty common feature on EFI cars with in-tank pumps (because the fuel acts as a heatsink for the pump) but it will work on any pickup point that descends from the top of the tank. For extra starvation-fighting power, see if you can get the return hose to feed into the box.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG New Reader
7/3/08 3:16 p.m.

I run two pumps.

Feed:

Fuel Tank -> Low pressure death pump -> Surge Tank -> Hi pressure pump -> Injectors.

Return:

Injectors -> Surge tank -> Fuel tank

If I kill the current pump, I may try the metal box trick. Though I can drive sedately for about 6 blocks on the fuel in the surge tank alone :) .

G

SkinnyG
SkinnyG New Reader
8/4/08 1:53 a.m.

The replacement Mr.Gasket pump is holding up fine, and makes MUCH less noise than the previous two. The outside casing of the pump is now plastic, and is slightly larger. The part number is the same, but obviously redesigned.

Of course, since I have a new Airtex pump in the boot just waiting to go in, the MrG pump will probably never fail....

G

44Dwarf
44Dwarf New Reader
8/4/08 5:46 a.m.

Mr. G will go bad soon. We've had two racers with the black plastic coated pump puke this season both were new pumps over the winter. Pure crap.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG New Reader
8/4/08 10:05 a.m.

Ah. Good to hear. I hate having "dead inventory."

7pilot
7pilot New Reader
8/4/08 1:52 p.m.

I used a Carquest roller vane 9 psi prepump when I added a surge tank to my Birkin. The pump part # was E8120. It's still working fine.

m

SkinnyG
SkinnyG New Reader
8/24/08 10:07 p.m.

AC-Delco number is EP12S

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
50sdomUaqQ1KDKFAzTbGknpgLKxxCGjJ1NexDrXOLAzdJfJe5k8IR1G70BUbbr8Q