1 2
RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Dork
8/17/20 8:58 p.m.

In reply to Stefan (Forum Supporter) :

This thread reminded me of a project I've had on the back burner for awhile. I made a little drawer insert for the Fiesta ST and have had requests from guys to do one for the Focus ST/RS and I have a couple prototypes I'd like to get out and get some feedback on.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
Stefan (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/17/20 8:59 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

My vote is to keep it relatively stock.

The 2.3 open decked block doesn't seem to be as strong as the older 2.0 block and tuners are mostly still guessing when it comes to tuning Ford DI engines.

If you want to go crazy, then grab an older 2.0 block, stuff a 2.3L crank in it, add bigger boosty boy and enjoy having moar top end with more strength to handle it a bit better.

You'll want a larger oil cooler, intercooler and possibly hood vents as that amount of heat will require more infrastructure to support it.

Finally, the berkeleying gas tank is only 12 gallons.  Even at stock power output you can see the gauge sinking faster than the Titanic.

Swap to 18's to get more sidewall/girth and see if that helps the ride enough before you drop a ton of money on suspension.  I've read the Mountune springs helps the ride as well.  It's like Ford tuned the dampers for racing spring rates, but out street car rates on them.  Annoying.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/17/20 11:28 p.m.

What happened to the VOLKs on the car?

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
8/18/20 12:35 a.m.
RacetruckRon said:

This thread reminded me of a project I've had on the back burner for awhile. I made a little drawer insert for the Fiesta ST and have had requests from guys to do one for the Focus ST/RS and I have a couple prototypes I'd like to get out and get some feedback on.

I can provide feedback if you'd like.  I don't drive the car too often, but I can be convinced for something like that :) 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
8/18/20 7:16 a.m.

Regarding tuners "guessing..." mountune though???

Volks/888's are bagged up in the shed. I'm gonna burn the continentals of the 19's, use the volks for autox(?) and eventually do the opposite...I think.

And yeah, WHAT IN THE ACTUAL berkeley 12 Gallon tank!? I realized this YESTERDAY, when I had 1/4 of a tank, but only "50 miles remaining"

engiekev
engiekev Reader
8/18/20 8:58 a.m.

Mountune US is interesting, their tunes are different than the Mountune UK tunes which were developed with Ford feedback and were tested on engine dynos to ensure critical parameters are kept in check.  Mountune US I believe was all done in vehicle and doesn't have direct affiliation with the Mountune UK tunes.  Having said that, they are likely one of the safer tuning companies out there for Ford Ecoboost products.  

The intercooler on the RS is adequately sized, not like the Focus ST and Fiesta ST. Similarly the intake pipe flows quite well for a stock part. Even though that package with intercooler, intake pipe, etc. "BS6" from mountune is a good deal at $2000, I would suggest staying with just a tune if you're looking for power upgrades.  Pushing far past 400 ft-lbs the block integrity does become an issue as mentioned.  And, the RDU can only handle so much torque, so a "big boost" build on a RS doesn't make much sense as all the extra power will only drive through the front wheels.

Stefan (Forum Supporter)
8/18/20 11:22 a.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

Adding the rear pumpkin and driveshaft on an already small hatchback didn't leave much room for a gas tank with today's safety features.

Mountune (which is going into receivership apparently) does produce good tunes and parts that mostly should be covered by warranty.

Honestly in the 15,000 miles I've put in mine, I've not wanted for power.  Better brake pad compound?  Sure.  That was at the track at the end of the third session on a HOT TNiA event and that just meant I had to adjust my driving a bit.

engiekev
engiekev Reader
8/18/20 12:31 p.m.

Also worth noting, the Mountune tune is covered the same as a Ford Performance tune in that if it is installed by a dealer or ASE tech with documentation the standard factory powertrain warranty is replaced with a 3 yr / 36,000 mile warranty effective from original warranty start date.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/warranty/include/pdf/Select_Parts_Warranty_Statement_2017v2.pdf

"Performance Packs and Components are warranted for factory-supplied material or workmanship when correctly and completely installed on a late model Ford vehicle by an authorized Ford or Lincoln Dealer, Shelby American, Inc., mountune LLC or an automotive service technician certified by the Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) or endorsed by the Red Seal Program (RSE). This Performance Packs and Components Limited Warranty begins upon installation and registration of the part(s) with Ford Performance and remains in effect for the balance of 36 months or 36,000 miles / 60,000 kilometres, whichever occurs first, calculated from the start date of the manufacturer's New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Installation of these select Ford Performance and mountune warranted performance packs and components by an authorized installer will NOT void your New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Engine, driveline and suspension concerns not caused by the use of Ford Performance or mountune parts remain eligible for warranty coverage according to the terms of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty."

poopshovel again
8/18/20 5:31 p.m.

In reply to engiekev :

Wow, dude. THANKS!!! Yeah, the more I looked at all the available mountune packages, the more I'm leaning toward just a 93 tune + revision from randy. 

...and maybe that ETS Extreme exhaust for more POP POP POPS, because I'm twelve.

poopshovel again
8/18/20 5:32 p.m.

Also: Shop neighbor

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
8/18/20 5:52 p.m.

GAS FUEL TIRES BRAKEPADS.......REPEAT.....oh and drive the E36M6 OUT OF THIS NOW!!!!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/18/20 6:56 p.m.

Are the tunes you are thinking of putting, as reliable as the APR tunes on VW? 

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/18/20 7:26 p.m.

Buddy had a mountuned 93+ and a 3 in catback and he loves it. Said 18s made all the difference on ride quality also. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cV4s41yVPH37UBDqXrdMd4H655Uz6WlhQ3RMVcq2htxEX4ly7UkSNSZiG2JMizDq