bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/20/18 7:17 a.m.

A coworker has a 1994 Taurus, 3.8 with what I believe is the service package. Rotted out brake line that runs from the abs motor up front all the way to the rear. There isn't enough good line to make a patch. If this car was a 3.0 or had rear drums we could get a complete fitted brake line kit, but this one is odd. 

So..... anyone used those 25' reels of 3/16 brake lines? Any better options? there are some seriously intricate bends in the rear to manuever around the suspension, exhaust and gas tank, so Im not looking forward to tryning to bend those thick lines you typically get at the parts stores. 

HELP! 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
8/20/18 7:23 a.m.

I love nicopp lines. Almost impossible to kink, and flare incredibly easy.

That is what i would do, and have done in this case. (Different obscure car, but)

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
8/20/18 7:43 a.m.

Cunifer lines bend and flare easily. I also had good luck with the Advance Auto “poly armor” lines - they bent easily by hand without kinking. 

@Dusterbd: NiCopp looks like a good option! 

NickD
NickD UberDork
8/20/18 7:47 a.m.

NiCopp/Cunifer lines. You don't have to be OEM-exact with your bends and routing. Just make sure nothing is going to rub or hit or catch the lines. 

Also, my family had a Taurus of that era with the ABS brakes. I don't think they ever worked properly. They were forever dragging calipers until they literally melted the hubcaps off.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/20/18 8:10 a.m.

Is it cheaper/easier to just start with a fresher Taurus?

Runners tend to sell for $1k

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/20/18 8:18 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

If he had that much money to spend, it wouldn't be at my house. He's a great guy that is overextended at the moment so I'm trying to help while not getting tetanus 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
8/20/18 8:19 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

It’s only a matter of time before the trans dies anyway, right?

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
8/20/18 8:28 a.m.

I have made a lot of lines with a roll of stainless 3/16" and a Mastercool flaring kit.  Its really the way to fly.

When doing a whole car, I will go to the yard with my wire cutters and box end wrench and pull the flare nuts off a bunch of same brand cars so we can reuse OEM threaded ends which makes for a nicer installation.  Then knock out the old lines with a punch if rusty, wire wheel, and reuse.  

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/20/18 9:10 a.m.

I think thefittings I can reuse. they're not that corroded. The lines are shot. 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
8/20/18 9:24 a.m.

We met new friends from Minnesota at Sturgis this year.  When times were tough, one of them had a Taurus or the Merc. labeled version of that era.  They said that unlike most cars, when there was ice, instead of locking you out, it would not lock once you were in.  The doors would unlock fine, you get in, close the doors and the locks would no longer work, sticking open.  So you drive down the road with both doors flapping open on the turns.  Solution:  Large bungie cords to tie the doors together in the winter, until you can afford a better car.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/20/18 9:39 a.m.

OTHER than the rotted brake lines and the drivers inner door panel popping off when you close the door, it's pretty solid. No huge oil leaks, shifts and drives well. 

imgon
imgon Reader
8/20/18 12:32 p.m.

+1 on the nicop tubing. I redid all the lines in the RX 7 a couple of years ago and it was very easy to work with. 

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
8/20/18 12:41 p.m.

I like the poly armor from advance. I tend to do alot of rear brake lines because Ohio loves salt. Just follow the routing as close as you can and make sure to get the flares correct.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UberDork
8/20/18 12:42 p.m.

Fed hill usa.

This is the place to find the Ni-cop cunifer lines and fittings

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/20/18 12:56 p.m.

Just pointing out that the 1994 Taurus was the best selling car (non-truck) of 1994. It is now obscure.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/20/18 11:25 p.m.

Thanks for reminding me of my age, shiny happy person. cheeky

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/4/18 8:40 a.m.

Update on this one. I got in the ni-copp lines and fittings. Got started by pulling the battery and airbox to get to the abs module. While trying to run down which line leads to which port on the modulre my finger went through the strut tower. The harness that runs along it was hiding rot that has 2 full sides of the strut tower completely rotted through. 

I stopped and made a call to the owner. My suggestion was this was the tipping point and putting $100 worth of brake lines in this car was a terrible idea when the first large pothole could send that strut through the hood. So it's partially torn apart in my garage and I have a potential buyer for it for a night of destruction entrant that can be left behind.  Just waiting on his decision. I can still put two lines on it if he wants but I really don't want to. 

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
9/4/18 9:44 a.m.

My mother had a 1985 with the 3.0L.

A subframe mount rusted out and I had to sell the car for parts. Otherwise the car was solid and would have run for another 10 years.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/5/18 9:46 a.m.

And luckily he has decided to go another route. I was not comfortable with this going back out on the streets. I already have him a buyer for it for a Night of Destruction car. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/5/18 10:18 a.m.

You're good people Bob.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/5/18 9:33 p.m.

Hey, maybe it was fate that berked up the lines. It revealed a dangerous, but hidden issue. I'd say you both dodged bullets.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/6/18 12:35 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

You're good people Bob.

I'm not all bad. Now if I could just remember to bring in my scanner so I could check my other coworkers car. 04 Saab 9-3. stumbles when stopping, it;s one of the turbo ecotecs. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/10/18 7:42 a.m.

Yay, the pumpkin is out of the garage onto it's new home! 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RKHAlsH8ewBIhBYaJDnacJJSY0F9HR0fuosao2TI6SfAyTzwZOw92Nhn4ZCFg358