6/16/22 8:15 p.m.

To sell? DeLorean.

For me? NSX

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
6/16/22 8:23 p.m.
mtn said:

In reply to yupididit :

Singer brought black people into Porsches maybe?

Lmao that was funny

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
6/16/22 8:29 p.m.

In reply to yupididit : This is purely subjective rambling. Walker and Singer both make pretty tasteful cars, and I certainly like Porsches, but for a long time they had  a bit of a buttoned-down rep. You were cool if you owned one, but in a private school, pressed-shirt, conformist sort of way. If you modified your air-cooled Porsche in any way that wasn't purely performance oriented you were skirting dangerously close to the domaine of philistines -0f  people who dropped small block Chevys into 914s while adding garish body kits. You were no longer  from Duke or USC. You probably went to Michigan State and dated artists for crying out loud! 

Then came this tall vision in dreadlocks. This Los-Angeles taste-maker who somehow managed to make old Porsches more desirable in new ways. He'd do subtle things to them that wouldn't  offend the purists yet gave them a cutting-edge cachet and as an owner, it made you dare-I-say? Hip. Before you know it, Porsche owners were locking their striped ties and polos away and wearing interesting colors and patterns. Suddenly Buffy, who had been secretly seeing the pool boy for the last five years thought "Hmm, maybe Chet has a penis after all".  

The same happened with Golf. Like people who drove Porsches aggressively, golfers always knew that they had something fun and interesting on their hands, but the public still thought that they were hanging out with George Bush  and discussing ways to trample the proletariat.  Then came Tiger. He was sort-of Black and sort-of Asian. He was exciting and handsome and brought exoticism to the sport. As a golfer you felt a bit more enlightened. A bit more in-touch, and the longer waits for tee times were worth it. 

So what am I saying with my lame attempts at humor?  That Magnus and Singer and Tiger changed some of the underlying perceptions of the activities that they are associated with. That's all. And right now I'm just killing time waiting for the Warriors game to come on.

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
6/16/22 9:26 p.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

So, all good things. 

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
6/16/22 11:19 p.m.

If Singer or someone were to update the mechanical bits and not overly affect the looks, I'd like to see someone restomod a Muira. WITHOUT messing with how it looks...

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
6/17/22 8:57 a.m.
earlybroncoguy1 said:

Old station wagons.

Wait, hear me out:

Body on frame, front engine, rear wheel drive, they share tons of suspension, body, and interior parts with classic musclecars so there's already a huge pool of parts and tech already in place. They're an alternative to just about everything - I mean, when's the last time you saw a real, live, station wagon on the road? Tons of room, useful as hell. They can be cool - take a look at the Audi RS6 or the AMG E63.

Restore it, restomod it, hot rod it, whatever - there are no rules.

Check out Wagonmaster.  How he commands the price he gets on those is really something:

https://wagonmaster.com

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
6/17/22 9:11 a.m.

Just wait, someone will start doing it with NA Miatas..

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
6/17/22 9:53 a.m.
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) said:
Rusnak_322 said:

C3 Corvette. Especially the rubber bumper cars. So much potential with those bulging vendors and coke bottle profile. 

Stock, rest car is blah.

Quoted for correct answer.

/Thread

And I'll supply my 75 to start things off. Chevy made half a million of them. Plenty enough parts and support. And that body. Damn!

You have to be very careful with C3's.  There is an ultra-fine line between dead sexy and throw up in your mouth Corvette Summer movie prop.

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
6/17/22 11:05 a.m.
80sFast said:

These are perfect 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
6/17/22 11:28 a.m.
A 401 CJ said:

Check out Wagonmaster.  How he commands the price he gets on those is really something:

https://wagonmaster.com

Damn GIFs | Tenor

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
6/17/22 11:35 a.m.
Apexcarver said:

Just wait, someone will start doing it with NA Miatas..

Was going to say,  NA Miata's would fit the bill. Desirable enough as it is, that putting 20 years of updates to them (suspension, interior materials, drivetrain) would probably sell like hot cakes. But would need to slot in at a price-point less than a new Miata, while also being *more* than just an NA shell stuffed full of new Miata parts. 

I think E36 Non M Coupes would probably benefit from a Singer like approach. Modern engine / transmission, updated interior bits (a known problem area), mild suspension enhancements, could be a winner.

3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4jR7s2klVx2nVda6Eb3Q8pFPjybrkFMidEs6pKc6vyySDWwA8qwcEXQcWED8AoeH