AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
4/12/23 9:39 a.m.

My fiance found a neat old vase in a thrift store, but we can't seem to find anything out about it online - it appears to be hand made, there are no marks except a 909 (or 606 I suppose), and we haven't found anything based on shape. It's a nice little piece and it would be cool if we knew more about its origins. Has anyone ever seen something like this before?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/12/23 9:45 a.m.

Rub it, and see if Barbara Eden comes out.

(Old guy joke)

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
4/12/23 9:47 a.m.

I have a small collection of similar things from my Grandfather's time stationed in India during WWII.

No clue if it is from there, but I would bet its something from some place with a similar semi-robust street market type as WWII era India?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/12/23 11:35 a.m.

Is it a vase or is it The Holy Grail?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
4/12/23 11:42 a.m.

Also, could the 606/909 be "GOG" or some other letters/symbols from another alphabet?

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
4/12/23 1:38 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

That could be, I'll have to see if that yields any meaningful leads!

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/12/23 2:08 p.m.

That is a Repousse vase, also called a trumpet vase.  All the rage in France, and India and some middle eastern nations caught on and joined the fun.

Repousser can be a verb (to repel or push away) or can be a noun which translates as "tooling."  As in a kit of tools that you might use to make engravings on a vase.

I know you didn't buy it to be valuable, but they are pretty ubiquitous.  Antiques of interesting provenance might be very valuable (several thousand), but you can find inexpensive stampings of them for $20 at any street market from the UK to Vietnam.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/12/23 2:10 p.m.

Look at the photo of the bottom of the vsse, blow it up.  Is that a Phillips cross inside the concentric circles?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oXxfFjvQH7o6FvpTBiWwdXQwEoTOlPYM6Cm1lkiQNaBnYWBb8GMUFliAyLWjYqPb