1 2
WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
4/9/16 11:28 p.m.

I do believe, just a few minutes ago, Microsoft Updater just attempted to begin downloading Win 10 onto my laptop COMPLETELY UNAUTHORIZED BY ME. I had to unplug the modem and force a shutdown to stop it.

Has anyone else experienced this recently?

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 UltraDork
4/9/16 11:31 p.m.

http://www.howtogeek.com/241329/upgrade-now-or-upgrade-tonight-how-microsoft-has-aggressively-pushed-windows-10-to-everyone/

jere
jere HalfDork
4/10/16 12:28 a.m.

Wow I havent trusted windows update for a while, and just leave it off unless something important comes along.

Is this windows 10 its trying to install still a lesser/beta version too?

Brian
Brian MegaDork
4/10/16 12:36 a.m.

Nope.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) MegaDork
4/10/16 12:54 a.m.

Yep. They are trying to force Win10 down everyone's throats.

They do usually notify the hell out of you, but they'll still try and prestige the install.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
4/10/16 1:08 a.m.

Well, looks like I am going to have to root around in the registries of the computers and laptops at work. A lot of our software is specifically not compatible with Win10. I believe the problem lies with Win10's inability to disable certain features.

Our laptop, for example, in order to do J2534 protocol reflashes, is required to have all antivirus, firewall, updates, etc. disabled. Basically you cannot have anything running in the background that might interfere with the network connection or use it in some way.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
4/10/16 1:39 a.m.

I caved a while ago, I think most of the complaints about 10 were inserted into 7 anyway, without any way to shut them off. The problem is it tries to preserve all your programs, which wreaks absolute havoc and left me with a buggy unstable system that I still need to wipe (been running chrombook exclusively for like 2 months) and start over with. Then I'm splitting the C partition and putting some Debian variant on it for daily use, probably Mint.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/10/16 2:37 a.m.

Let us help YOU

Stop struggling, we are helping you!

I am just going to hit you in the head to allow me to help you..,

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
4/10/16 6:36 a.m.

Anyone want to discuss the cute Outlook improvement they snuck in called "Clutter"?

Pretty sure that buried somewhere in the software agreements we all click we gave up our rights to pretty much all control over our software.

Robbie
Robbie SuperDork
4/10/16 8:22 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

I don't understand clutter at all... So now outlook sends me an additional email that summarizes all my junk emails?

Kylini
Kylini HalfDork
4/10/16 8:28 a.m.

On the plus side, if bash/Ubuntu for Windows 10 doesn't suck, I might be able to do all of my bioinformatics on a computer which already has PowerPoint, Excel, and all of my music on it. Given how many dependencies I need, I kinda doubt it'll work though.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
4/10/16 8:58 a.m.

Our IT department at work put out a warning about this a couple weeks ago, and told us not to click on any update button that may appear. They're still evaluating out Windows 10 is going to work with our existing applications.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
4/10/16 9:10 a.m.

I've been using this to keep Win10 off of my computer; http://www.infoworld.com/article/3000299/microsoft-windows/a-better-blocker-is-available-to-shield-you-from-coerced-get-windows-10-updates.html

I actually bought a small laptop that came with Windows 8.1 on it and updated it to 10. It seems fine. I just don't want to change my desktop from 7 to 10 when 7 is working very well for me there.

Mike
Mike Dork
4/10/16 9:12 a.m.

For those with work environments, you need Windows Server Update Service, or WSUS. It's free from Microsoft. You point all of your Windows machines at this server, and you just approve each update on your schedule, or set it to auto approve. This Windows 10 upgrade junk has some conditions, and one is that it won't run through a WSUS server. I haven't had to tell my users anything about updates. I decide, and it gets done.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
4/10/16 9:27 a.m.

Used my wife's new computer I built as a test bed for win10. As a fresh install it is very stable. However I hate tge interface and the biggest problem is its networking. I ten a small network in my house and Win 10 either wants to take control of it or will not play nice with the other win 7 machines i have and will not let me share files or printers. As far as I am concerned win 10 is a step backwards for anyone that is running more than one computer.

I still can not figure out the "groups" settings in win 10. It seems to want to control it and not let you control any part of it. Thus causes issues as I have multiple groups on my network. On for my business and one for the house stuff. the win 10 computer keeps trying to change things big brother style.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
4/10/16 10:24 a.m.

This is nuts. Someone at the office figured out how to make our legal installations, well illegal by a serial number change. So no forced updates.

classicJackets
classicJackets Reader
4/10/16 11:00 a.m.

Had this happen to me. I can access my start menu maybe half the time, and it took something like 3 months to be able to open up folders, in addition to a number of other bugs.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
4/10/16 11:54 a.m.

My pc is updated to 10 and ive had no issues. Wifes laptop also runs 10. But we just use them for basic internet and some games.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) MegaDork
4/10/16 12:36 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe:

Just change a registry setting and you can easily block the Windows 10 update and avoid making your systems part of the botnet.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
4/10/16 3:02 p.m.

way to force me toweards iOS

The0retical
The0retical Dork
4/10/16 3:08 p.m.

Yea... I did the upgrade the week before my capstone started. Guess what I did all last week?

If you said "A clean install of Windows 7 from the restoration partition after Windows 10s start menu stopped working." Well you're correct. I'm still trying to patch Windows 7 and reinstall all the utilities I use because Windows 10 wipes the restore points when you "upgrade."

It works ok on my wifes new computer but apparently it's a known problem with upgrades. So still the trainwreck it was when it went live last year.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
4/10/16 10:49 p.m.

I have set Windows 7 to update only manually, and I search up every new "update" to see how it ties into Windows 10. Interesting how many new "updates" are a new version of Win10 nagware.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing HalfDork
4/10/16 11:22 p.m.

Welp. I installed the Windows 10 Blocker app, and it worked fabulously. It cleaned the registry and un-did everything the past year's worth of Windows 10 sneak attacks installed.

Thanks for that link, pres589

sachilles
sachilles UltraDork
4/11/16 4:15 p.m.

You can reverse it if 10 downloads and installs. Happened to my son's computer, I figured he did something. Had the windows 10 welcome screen and I about lost it. You need to NOT agree to the software terms, and it will then revert back to your previous software.

Dave
Dave Reader
4/11/16 5:03 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: Anyone want to discuss the cute Outlook improvement they snuck in called "Clutter"? Pretty sure that buried somewhere in the software agreements we all click we gave up our rights to pretty much all control over our software.

Clutter is major pain in the arse in the enterprise. All sorts legititmate internal surveys, emails, etc going to clutter. Ugh.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LwqVqSwqSqhLHj4fhUZ51MZYYAssu76tNlw8Qgcwg7FxRMbmcdTqeGIdC9tVl7tZ