1 2 3 4 5
Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/15/23 5:02 p.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

This isn't resllly a slippery slope. Fits already proven case law.  Some cribs are dangerous to little kids and have been banned for sale and re sale. 

pretty standard stuff. 

these cribs can't be sold, resold or donated. 

https://www.verywellfamily.com/drop-side-crib-safety-issues-294016

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
10/15/23 5:14 p.m.
alfadriver said:
Ranger50 said:

I have the issue that it's the DOJ doing the EPA's dirty work. Or in other words big brother will fight little brothers fight. Too many angles to be attacked from "without notice".

JMO..

That's kind of how it works. EPA would have to sue, which would end up with the DOJ doing the hard work. Executive vs judicial. 

Still a bit wrong. DOJ isn't the judicial branch, it's an executive agency. When other branches bring a case, the DOJ is tasked with pursuing the crime. FBI refers their investigations to DOJ, so why not an EPA investigator?  It's simply how law enforcement works. 

And, yup, we can all blame the diesel tuners deleting emissions equipment off of a statistically relevant percentage of vehicles that it affects pollution for the loopholes we have enjoyed being closed. They were fine letting things be for our small numbers of performance cars, but when they figure 15% of that market has been deleted and it's a market that pollutes more to begin with...  then you add the highly visible coal rollers publicly glorifying breaking the law to pollute as much as possible...  yeah...

If you want to be a part of the chain of commerce selling illegal things, they are correct to pursue it. It would be the same if I was selling elephant ivory, I didn't kill the elephant, but aiding, abetting, and profiting from the transaction makes me a target for legal trouble.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/15/23 5:26 p.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

We may have missed the part where the epa contacted the doj to enforce it. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
10/15/23 5:32 p.m.
Apexcarver said:.

If you want to be a part of the chain of commerce selling illegal things, they are correct to pursue it. It would be the same if I was selling elephant ivory, I didn't kill the elephant, but aiding, abetting, and profiting from the transaction makes me a target for legal trouble.

This.  eBay takes a 13% cut of all sales.  That creates culpability.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/15/23 5:36 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

In reply to SV reX :

Depends on what is the danger.  Diesel soot is proven to travel from the lungs to the heart causing heart attacks among other things. 

And of the PM, we really don't have an idea of how bad coal rollers are. I do know if you can *see* particulates, that is mostly enough to fail. Diesel is considerably worse on PM than gas, unlike NOx and HC. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/15/23 5:56 p.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to porschenut :

I've driven Prius almost exclusively since 2016 and can not think of a time that I was "rolled."  But, I can agree that Prius-agression is a real thing.  I have had multiple people "just have to" get around me because there perception is that a Prius will be slow going down the road. 

I get the same thing driving a minivan.  They sometimes get a surprise when they learn it can actually get out of its own way rather well if I ask it do.  I'm pretty sure it's quicker 0-60 than my 2006 R53 JCW... 

I never really understood the whole rolling coal thing... it's pretty much just wasting fuel.  

Unlike any of the device makers, eBay has enough money to fund a legal team to combat this, whether justified or not.  

Fueled by Caffeine
10/15/23 6:21 p.m.
alfadriver said:
Fueled by Caffeine said:

In reply to SV reX :

Depends on what is the danger.  Diesel soot is proven to travel from the lungs to the heart causing heart attacks among other things. 

And of the PM, we really don't have an idea of how bad coal rollers are. I do know if you can *see* particulates, that is mostly enough to fail. Diesel is considerably worse on PM than gas, unlike NOx and HC. 

Pm is nasty.  Once it's in your lungs it never leaves your body.  It's bad news all around. 

not for you but for others.  Diesel emmisons controls Save lives.  It's fairly well proven science  

https://calmatters.org/environment/2021/03/california-diesel-rules/

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic Dork
10/15/23 6:42 p.m.

Part of any plea agreement will probably include the names and addresses of everybody that bought or sold an emissions defeat devise.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/15/23 6:47 p.m.

In reply to VolvoHeretic :

Except that is outside of the CAA. Only the states could use that. 

Fueled by Caffeine
10/15/23 6:58 p.m.

In reply to VolvoHeretic :

That's in the discovery. Not even the plea agreement. 

90BuickCentury
90BuickCentury Reader
10/15/23 8:05 p.m.

I hate coal-rolling bro-dozers. They tend to drive like idiots whether I'm passing them in a Buick, Camry, Odyssey, or F-150. That being said, why crack down on entity that has helped facilitate distribution of a potentially illegal product for the past 20+ years? The EPA had to have known this was going on for at least 20yrs but they just now are getting around to doing something about it? A much more reasonable approach would be to demand eBay no longer allow sales of such items past a certain date, and then fine them for each and every sale that occurs after that date. Trying to retroactively fine a company for something you've allowed them to do for decades just seems to set a bad precedent. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/15/23 8:26 p.m.

In reply to 90BuickCentury :

Maybe they did. And the lack of reaction has led to this. 

Previously, they have tried work with companies to stop doing whatever they were doing, and only going to fines and lawsuits after nothing happens. So I assume they asked eBay to crack down, and since that didn't happen....

Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
10/15/23 8:30 p.m.

In reply to 90BuickCentury :

It has probably taken the Gov't the last 20 years to figure out what to do.  And this is the result.

porschenut
porschenut HalfDork
10/15/23 8:44 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

My son is in the Pittsburg area and he tells me he gets coal rolled quite often in the prius.  I am in the eastern side of the state and have had it happen a few times also.  Not too many get aggressive with me, or maybe more aggressive than I am if they piss me off!

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/15/23 8:55 p.m.

Based on some of the comments, it would be nice to know where the coal rollers live, since they are clearly ok with everyone dumping garbage on their property. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/15/23 9:10 p.m.

We've only had one person attempt to coal roll the Tesla, and it was such a short little burp as he passed in front of us in a traffic circle that Janel didn't even realize what the driver was attempting. She wouldn't let me blow his doors off with the golf cart :)

But if someone tried it when I was riding my bike, I'd do my damndest to get assault charges filed. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
10/15/23 9:38 p.m.

Hell, I've been coal rolled in my mustang. Really pissed me off because it was nasty enough I had to wash it. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/16/23 1:34 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Assault charges would definitely get filed. On me. I'm very chill and understanding...until I'm not.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
10/16/23 6:48 a.m.

I had it happen once driving my Miata with the contingency stickers on my way home from an autocross. It was probably a pretty obvious target. 

I knew it was going to happen since he was obviously trying really hard to get in front of me in traffic. I could have easily prevented that, but since I already knew the driver was an irresponsible shiny happy person, I didn't want to find out how well a 3 ton lifted truck on 28 inch wheels stops from 60 when he's already 18 feet from my bumper.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/16/23 8:55 a.m.

Got rolled on while I was running last week. Who are these asshats? 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
10/16/23 9:35 a.m.

In reply to Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) :

in my experience, stupid rednecks or "bro" types.  

docwyte
docwyte UltimaDork
10/16/23 9:35 a.m.

I'm totally fine with this.  By going after the larger market places like eBay and (I assume soon) Amazon, this will force all the overseas vendors to have a much more difficult time selling their illegal devices. I think all the cat-less downpipes should be removed from sale and the companies selling them held responsible.  Same with the tuners that bypass all the emissions equipment.  I know plenty of people who are running catless in their VW's, BMW's and Porsches, on their street cars. 

Totally lame!  Let's just be logical about this, will the small, incremental increase in horsepower by going catless even matter on your daily commute?  Most of the time, it's not even enough to be felt. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/16/23 9:37 a.m.
Apexcarver said:

In reply to Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) :

in my experience, stupid rednecks or "bro" types.  

I regret that I have but one thumbs up to give for this post.

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) MegaDork
10/16/23 10:00 a.m.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
10/16/23 10:03 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

No, the EPA just wants you to stop removing emissions devices. That's not the same. 

Want a turbo Miata? I can sell you a kit that is completely EPA compliant for 1990-05 and for 2016-18. And we're working on one right now for 2006-15. And I'll support it, giving tech advice and stocking replacement parts. The EPA is fine with that. 

Want to buy a turbo kit on eBay that's a knockoff of a 20 year old US kit, sold by some Chinese anonymous vendor who will not exist in 2 months and who hasn't done the work to make sure it's EPA compliant? Yeah, that's the problem. 

I think the not-really-IP-proteciton-but-still-IP-protection aspect of this is a pretty huge side-benefit.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
s2fwn7YAthev0doKBmFVprkvcHgG4MrN62QpwhkJbDT0mPwM2kR7ABGd49P0v82z