1 2 3
ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter New Reader
8/27/08 10:56 p.m.
oldsaw wrote: The article (if anyone actually read it) specifically notes a rough draft was sent to ranking members of the Senate Judiciary Committee and they were duly concerned about the proposed expansion of the FBI's operational rules. That means nothing is finalized. It also means that, if adopted, there will certainly be an immediate challenge via the courts. Mukasey, Mueller, et al will have to have some mighty compelling evidence to justify any continuation of this program. Still there seems little, if anything, constitutional that the SCOTUS could adjudge as legal. And rest assured this issue will go before the Supreme Court. We'll have something to really worry about if no one in Congress challenges the program and instead supports it. The chances are nil that this administration can accomplish much of anything in the time it has left.

That's pretty similar to what I thought about the Patriot Act. When they initially passed it, I was shocked that it had a built in expiration... then I was doubly shocked when Congress voted to retain it.

Screw retrirement funds, I'm investing in tangible things and off-grid tech.

Wowak
Wowak Dork
8/28/08 1:00 a.m.
Tommy Suddard wrote: Yes, I know that's the Declaration Of Independence, not the Constitution. You get the idea.

Uh, no, thats the Constitution.

This is the Declaration:

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/28/08 8:19 a.m.
chaparral wrote: Five more months and we'll be rid of all of this rubbish.

And then in a few years you'll be saying '(insert time frame here) and we'll be rid of all this rubbish' regardless of who gets elected President. I don't give a damn what Obamacain says, they can't do sh!t except run their mouths.

The only difference in the stupidity of our elected representatives and senators is whether they answer to D or R. Congress is a jobs program, nothing more. Until We The People change THAT, there will be NO change.

purplepeopleeater
purplepeopleeater New Reader
8/28/08 10:50 a.m.

Lets face reality, Congress is an elected entity. So either we voted for them or by not voting we empowered them If you want to bitch about Congress, stand in front of the bathroom mirror so you can see who's to blame.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
8/28/08 12:04 p.m.
purplepeopleeater wrote: ... If you want to bitch about Congress, stand in front of the bathroom mirror so you can see who's to blame.

Not me. I didn't vote a single one of those dingalings into office, especially not the ones from your state.

doitover
doitover Reader
8/28/08 12:30 p.m.

We do have power over our government, we just don't exercise it, When was the last time anyone wrote or called their representatives? I hate to wear the tinfoil hat but the people that most want you to believe you have no input into the process are the people wielding most of the power today.

Wally
Wally SuperDork
8/29/08 2:29 a.m.
doitover wrote: We do have power over our government, we just don't exercise it, When was the last time anyone wrote or called their representatives? I hate to wear the tinfoil hat but the people that most want you to believe you have no input into the process are the people wielding most of the power today.

As much as it may hurt, I Agree. We get the government we (the majority of the people who even bother to vote) deserve

wreckerboy
wreckerboy SuperDork
8/29/08 6:46 a.m.
doitover wrote: We do have power over our government, we just don't exercise it, When was the last time anyone wrote or called their representatives? I hate to wear the tinfoil hat but the people that most want you to believe you have no input into the process are the people wielding most of the power today.

Sadly, although my name is well known to the offices of both of my senators (one of whom will never see my vote for his support of the destruction of habeous corpus) and my congressman, it probably has very little effect on their actions. As long as there is no true campaign finance reform (amongst a lot of other things) our representatives have very little incentive to represent and act upon the will of "we the people" and instead suck up to those with the dollars to support their (re) election fantasies.

Pelosi is but one grand example of the weak kneed actions of the suck ups in Congress at this time.

We have another major election coming up. You all need to vote if you care about this nation. RIght or wrong, it is the only system we have at this time. Stay away from the election and suffer the consequences. Even if McCain is defeated, Obama is in for a rough ride if he tries to undo the travesty of the last eight years of direct Rethugican rule, and the reality of the 28 years of destruction since Reagan, which is when the Bush / Nixon retreads and rejects first moved into positions of power. Don't tell me "but what about Clinton's eight years?" because he faced a hostile Republican congress for six of them.

Am I the only one who hears this song playing all of the time now?

We'll be fighting in the streets With our children at our feet And the morals that they worship will be gone And the men who spurred us on Sit in judgement of all wrong They decide and the shotgun sings the song I'll tip my hat to the new constitution Take a bow for the new revolution Smile and grin at the change all around me Pick up my guitar and play Just like yesterday Then I'll get on my knees and pray We don't get fooled again The change, it had to come We knew it all along We were liberated from the foe, that' all And the world looks just the same And history ain't changed 'Cause the banners, they all flown in the next war I'll tip my hat to the new constitution Take a bow for the new revolution Smile and grin at the change all around me Pick up my guitar and play Just like yesterday Then I'll get on my knees and pray We don't get fooled again No, no! I'll move myself and my family aside If we happen to be left half alive I'll get all my papers and smile at the sky For I know that the hypnotized never lie Do ya? YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! There's nothing in the street Looks any different to me And the slogans are replaced, by-the-bye And the parting on the left Is now the parting on the right And the beards have all grown longer overnight I'll tip my hat to the new constitution Take a bow for the new revolution Smile and grin at the change all around me Pick up my guitar and play Just like yesterday Then I'll get on my knees and pray We don't get fooled again Don't get fooled again No, no! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Meet the new boss Same as the old boss

wreckerboy
wreckerboy SuperDork
8/29/08 6:52 a.m.

Also, am I the only one who can't get the fool quote thing right? Arrgh!

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
8/29/08 11:26 a.m.

why did clinton have a hostile R congress for 6 years? because they passed assinine laws, and the dems got voted out (mainly because they passed the AWB and pissed off rural voters)

wreckerboy
wreckerboy SuperDork
8/29/08 12:59 p.m.

I'm certain it had nothing to do with the Ken Starr led witch hunt that took how many years, cost how many millions and resulted in exactly how many convictions? Oh that's right, none. Sorry, partisan politics at it's very worst. And anybody was surprised at anything in the last eight years?

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
8/29/08 2:06 p.m.
wreckerboy wrote: I'm certain it had nothing to do with the Ken Starr led witch hunt that took how many years, cost how many millions and resulted in exactly how many convictions? Oh that's right, none. Sorry, partisan politics at it's very worst. And anybody was surprised at anything in the last eight years?

I have.. due to the ammount of liberty, life, and economic well being we have lost at the hands of this guy... and noone has challenged him..

gamby
gamby SuperDork
8/29/08 6:38 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote:
captainzib wrote: I wanna know how a pres gets threatened with impeachment for lying about a blowjob, but not for what has happened in the last 8 years.
Lying under oath. That's all. Get bush under oath, get him to lie, and you've got a slam dunk.

Good luck w/ that. Look at what it took to hold Karl Rove in contempt for avoiding a congressional subpoena.

W and Cheney will just stonewall until Jan 09 and the public will forget everything.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Reader
8/31/08 6:40 p.m.

Is it just me or does that picture of Bush holding the Constitution look like he got hit in the head hard with a dodgeball?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hQlkDp3WyceXqTNgRS2golqW7KsfpyoyMNfMJGPtFqqnySVDDXpQmPZupcUlHHSH