1 2
lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
7/10/19 8:29 a.m.

For some reason the bee population is dying. Can't figure out why though. 

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane SuperDork
7/10/19 12:53 p.m.
spacecadet said:

My buddy tried a dynatrap and they get big bugs but my buddy actually dumped the collector which was full of bugs into a plastic bag and then let everything die and counted... absolutely no mosquitos in the device... 

Any anecdotal evidence of these products working is probably because they sprayed in your local area. 

These products don't actually work in the real world.. They're borderline snake oil... 

Hmm, I emptied mine at the end of last season and there was quite a few mossy bodies in the decayed mess.   No one is spraying my woods, these are all hung a few acres away from a road and the town doesn't spray anyway that I'm aware of, so my anecdata says they do something.  That said, the population has recently had an uptick, but we've had this set up for 4 months which is their limit.  I'm going to replace them since for $20, it seems worth continuing the experiment.

I'll empty the ones that I have hanging and see, for science!  :) 

I'm sure like any other control, though, it's highly installation specific as to whether it does anything..

I really think lots of bat houses are in order once I get some time to build them.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane SuperDork
7/10/19 12:54 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
WonkoTheSane said:

Just as an update to my original thread.  This past year I stumbled across https://spartanmosquito.com/ .  I got them up last year for the end of the year, and they seemed to do an okay job slowly dropping the population.

I just looked at these, but don't understand how they work... any idea?  Yeast/CO2 generation?  Are they reuseable?

Sorry, I missed this earlier.

Yeah, they have a yeast tablet that gets mixed into a cup or two of water.   I don't believe they sell refills of the yeast tablets, so they're not really reusable although there would be nothing stopping them from doing that since the cap unscrews and it's easy (but icky) to drain them.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/10/19 1:03 p.m.

A several year drought up here has done a serious number on the mosquito population.  Living in an agricultural area, I can't really recommend it as a long term solution.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia HalfDork
7/10/19 4:21 p.m.

do you need to use certain bait for a specific  species of mosquito ?

Its a worldwide problem with really no solution so far , 

Here is one thing I found

http://labs.russell.wisc.edu/mosquitosite/preventing-mosquito-bites/carbon-dioxide-baited-mosquito-traps/

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
7/10/19 9:45 p.m.

I've been fogging bifen it every 3-4 weeks around dusk.  It seems to help a lot.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
7/11/19 7:20 a.m.
lnlogauge said:

For some reason the bee population is dying. Can't figure out why though. 

There's a few viruses and mites that are really hurting them.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
7/11/19 7:31 a.m.

In reply to bigdaddylee82 :

I'm aware. But shooting chemicals in the sky for the purposes of killing flying things isn't helping either. 

TJL
TJL Reader
7/11/19 7:39 a.m.

In reply to lnlogauge :

As long as the mosquito control dept and the bee keepers are on the same page, its not a problem. Its usually after the spray has taken place and someones bees died that the bee keepers let mosquito control thT they have hives. The majority of the chemicals used have a very short life before becoming inert and the sprays generally happen when bees are going to be in the hive and not exposed to any chemical. 

One mosquito control person i know has/had a big bee operation. Great honey. But they tried a new bee mite treatment, per the label, and about 95% of her bees died. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/25/20 10:01 a.m.
suspected watercraft pilot said:

I have read that bee populations are having problem everywhere in the world now because their little arms are too short to paddle the canoe.

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports Reader
9/25/20 10:12 a.m.

I hate skeeters....that is all

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
12/9/20 11:49 a.m.

Can skeeters share COVID?

Google just got hit with a bazillion questions about skeeters and COVID

The answer is "They Don't THINK so"

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.