1 2 3
AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair PowerDork
9/3/13 2:46 p.m.
wbjones wrote: oh... and now Papis is claiming that when Mike's gf slapped him it dis-located his jaw .... and he's afraid he might lose his job at Hennessey Honda of Woodstock because he might not be able to, well, you know...

FTFY

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
9/3/13 3:51 p.m.

I didn't see the race, so I won't comment on the actual event. But I have met Max, and have a friend that worked on his car in Grand Am, and he is one of the nicest professional racers I have ever met. And while Mike might have done a great job, he needs to review the video. I know when we first went Nascar racing, we had a few similar issues.

And, different drivers expect you to treat them differently. You have to learn them just as with any series. For whatever reason, it appears Max was pissed. In this instance, Mike should have went and found him right away. If he had, this probably wouldn't have been an issue. Running back and hiding is not the answer, no matter if you think you did everything right or not. You have to go face to face and iron it out. I'm sure Max was as mad about that as much as the on track issues. First and foremost, if you have trouble on track, find the other driver afterwards.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
9/3/13 4:36 p.m.

In reply to racerdave600:

I cannot debate what you say Dave, I know you have worked on a NASCAR team and know more about the sport than most people on this board. I know that NASCAR is a different beast as far as how you have to race each individual racer. I really don't see anything wrong with Max loosening Mike up in some of the turns in the last couple of laps, that is stockcar racing. I do believe that Max turned into him in the last turn. Tommy Kendall sees it the same way from what he posted on Skeen's Facebook post.

I agree with everything you said as far as the paddock. He should have talked to Papis right away. However, Papis has been a little looney after races lately and he was trying to run into/wreck Skeen on the cool down lap. If you've ever talked to Skeen, you know how quiet and passive he is. It doesn't surprise me that he was avoiding the situation. That really doesn't work in the NASCAR environment, I agree.

As far as Max as a nice guy, I don't doubt that for a second. On track and after races is a little different, he's an emotional guy. I really have not met many shiny happy person pro racers. I have worked with a few. Only one stands out as kind of an shiny happy person but more arrogant than anything. I will not name him but he is an active Grand Am driver and drives in multiple series.

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
9/3/13 5:02 p.m.

Reviewing the video of the incident, it's quite obvious Skeen dive-bombed Papis on a NO-percentage move. Randy Pobst has said as much. He just didn't wait as late as Elliot did to do it. And if Papis had noticed what was going on early enough, he might have let Skeen sail right through and take his second place finish.

Don't forget, Skeen got in trouble for dumping someone (O'Connell I think) at the Sonoma PWC race the week before. Didn't even come in for his stop-n-go penalty and got DQ'd.

ncjay
ncjay HalfDork
9/3/13 5:11 p.m.

All I have to add is that a whole lot more people know who Mike Skeen is after this weekend. And dirty cheap shot to win aside, Chase Elliott's future looks pretty bright.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
9/3/13 6:09 p.m.
Tommy Kendall said: Just saw the video again on a bigger screen and it isn't quite as clear cut as I made it seem, but certainly a shared responsibility. Mike threw it down the inside and got very crossed up. Max turned in early which exacerbated things and then didn't give any more room as it unfolded as is his choice, but I am guessing if he had it to do over again, he would hesitate, give Mike room and then try to cross under him.

I can agree with this.

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
9/3/13 7:16 p.m.
Anti-stance wrote:
Tommy Kendall said: Just saw the video again on a bigger screen and it isn't quite as clear cut as I made it seem, but certainly a shared responsibility. Mike threw it down the inside and got very crossed up. Max turned in early which exacerbated things and then didn't give any more room as it unfolded as is his choice, but I am guessing if he had it to do over again, he would hesitate, give Mike room and then try to cross under him.
I can agree with this.

So, after all is said and done it turns out to be just another racing incident. Two good drivers wanted the same thing, at the same time and at the same place.

Without all the histrionics after the checkered flag, no one would still be talking about it.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
9/3/13 9:16 p.m.

In reply to Anti-stance:

I'm trying to figure out who's the shiny happy person. Text me.

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
9/3/13 10:51 p.m.
racerfink wrote: Don't forget, Skeen got in trouble for dumping someone (O'Connell I think) at the Sonoma PWC race the week before. Didn't even come in for his stop-n-go penalty and got DQ'd.

That black flag was a total BS call. Watch the race (it's available at World-Challenge.com) and pay attention to the start.

Skeen was caught blind in traffic backing-up because Pobst spun in turn two. He either touched the rear of Sofronas when the Audi grabbed the brakes or touched Daskalos when the Viper ran wide coming out of turn one. Skeen was at least fifteen places ahead of O'Connell and three places behind Pobst.

Hell, it took the stewards fifteen laps to throw the flag (with a multi-lap FCY included) and they still managed to make a E36M3-ty penalty.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Vd0S11FRkdzGI6a0irZIzafUxjksuoTuOKAmm1ps79ddWayK2eUlFuELBbdAasc6