rustyvw
rustyvw Dork
3/17/19 7:31 p.m.

I'll be in Harrisburg PA with my wife and kids in a couple weeks.  Any suggestions for things to do?  I figured we would do Hershey, the zoo and the car museum.  What other things should I look for near there.  It will only be for a weekend, so I can't go too far.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
3/17/19 7:39 p.m.

https://hersheystory.org/

Thats a little museum that is neat.  Might bore the kids.  The chocolate tastings are great though.  Think dark, liquid chocolate served in mini flight glasses like a beer sampler at a brewery.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
3/17/19 8:29 p.m.

check to see what shows are in the Theater. It's a great place to see off-broadway and traveling broadway shows

Woody
Woody MegaDork
3/17/19 8:43 p.m.

The bathrooms smell like chocolate. I am not E36 M3ting you.

rustyvw
rustyvw Dork
3/17/19 8:47 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

That reminds me of a joke.  I swallowed two pieces of string.  When they came out the other end they were tied together.  I E36 M3 you knot.

Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
3/17/19 8:56 p.m.

I went here a few years ago when the Lotus  and Tucker exhibits were on display.

https://www.aacamuseum.org

rustyvw
rustyvw Dork
3/17/19 8:58 p.m.

In reply to Brotus7 :

It's a good museum, I plan to make it part of the trip.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
3/17/19 10:12 p.m.

Bears game 

Don49
Don49 Dork
3/18/19 7:19 a.m.

Also nearby is the Rolls Royce and Bentley Museum.

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
3/18/19 7:20 a.m.

Most will say Troegs, which is definitely solid, those who know will say make the drive to Tired Hands. What weekend will it be, Carlisle isn't too far of a drive and some of their events are most attends, the swap meets have been known to have finds that have ended up on more than a few challenge winning cars. Hershey occasionally host autocrosses as well, so that'd be worth checking out. Chip Herr has a pretty fantastic premium used car dealership in the area if you want to talk racing and oogle some F cars, Astons and GT spec Porsches. 

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
3/18/19 11:33 a.m.

I live in Harrisburg. Hit me up for a drink or dinner

I very much enjoy Troegs. Harrisburg also has Midstate Distillery and Appalachian Brewing co. Some good museums in harrisburg and Hershey. 

PM me and I'll send you a list of cool things in the area tomorrow when I'm not typing with thumbs

Furious_E
Furious_E UltraDork
3/18/19 3:15 p.m.
Don49 said:

Huh, never even knew that existed. Looking it up on Google maps, I must have just driven right past it a couple weeks ago.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
3/18/19 3:24 p.m.

How old are the kids?  We found a cool playground there for a break in day. I have little ones <10 years. 

Furious_E
Furious_E UltraDork
3/18/19 3:27 p.m.

I'm in Carlisle. Spring Carlisle swap meet is the weekend after Easter this year, IIRC, in case that lines up with your schedule. Susquehanna region SCCA doesn't have any Hershey events planned for this year, but you might check with PCA as well and see if they have any on the schedule. 

Harrisburg has a Civil War museum, if you're into that, and Gettysburg is also only about an hour away. I love both Troegs and Appalachian Brewing as well.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
3/18/19 4:25 p.m.
Don49 said:

Crap, how’d I miss that? 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
3/18/19 5:28 p.m.

Don’t get arrested.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
3/18/19 6:42 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

Don’t get arrested.

Watch your corn hole bud.  

rustyvw
rustyvw Dork
3/18/19 7:03 p.m.

Thanks for the advice guys.  We will only be there for a couple days on this trip, I hope we can fit it all in.  

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
3/19/19 7:54 a.m.
Don49 said:

I live here and didn't know that existed. frown

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
3/19/19 1:34 p.m.

Drinks/dinner that are family friendly:  Troegs, Appalachian Brewing Company, (both brewpubs with pub-like fare) Fennici's, Piazza Sorrento, (both great italian) The Mill, and my personal favorite in the area, Fabios.  It's up by rt 81 about 6 miles from Hershey.

Other notable grub, Harrisburg has some really great restaurants.  PM me if you want to drive 20 minutes to see my town and I'll give you all the skinny.

Museums:  AACA, The Hershey Story.

Zoo America is fun.  You gotta do Chocolate World.  It's free and has a ride through a fake chocolate factory with dioramas and animatronics.  Kids of all ages love it.  I still go and I'm 45.

HersheyPark (obvious) but it is a full day event at least, and it doesn't really open until May-ish I think.

Hershey Bears Hockey is fun if you dig sports

Check the Giant Center for bands and concerts.

It's not far to Lancaster and there is a ton of neat Amish heritage, museums, shopping, etc.

Carlisle swap meet is awesome, but not sure how the kids/wife would like it.

Hershey has a couple great theaters, as does Harrisburg and Lancaster.  Fulton theater, Theatre Harrisburg (where I work, but we won't have any performances until the end of April), Hershey Area Playhouse, Sight and Sound (Christian), Dutch Apple (dinner theater), Open Stage of Harrisburg (small venue, a little edgier productions), Gamut Theater (mostly Shakespeare and classical).  Allenberry Playhouse is another great one, but it's in Boiling Springs which is a pretty good hike from Hershey.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
3/19/19 4:27 p.m.

The free Hershey ride was pretty neat, and the Museum of Bus Transportation in the AACA is having a show on June 1 if you’re there that weekend.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sVZlcfREpmCBLiX98eTHIASwj52Yf3F8fRnQHbw2YPjGLU1fN801pBy20sA7ieDy