barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
5/25/21 2:39 p.m.

Been thinking hard about a somewhat large caliber pistol, because reasons. I'm wanting a revolver, because I don't like 45acp. I'm also looking at something at least 4" but prefer 6" so I have some reasonable range. 
Basically narrowed down to 45LC, 44mag, 357mag. 
heavily leaning 357. 

Thoughts? Suggestions? Intended use is range targets say out to 100y (ha!) and a hip gun for the rare occasion I get up in the mountains camping (we have big cats, bears, stuff o don't like thinking about with my 2" 9mm) and possibly something with stopping power inside the range of my .308. 

Lee
Lee UberDork
5/25/21 3:39 p.m.

I've got an acquaintance with one of these, it'll shoot .45 LC, .454 Casull, and .460 S&W, 100 yards is within the realm of possibility.

Only thing I've shot .454 out of that I didn't think was too punishing (brother has a .454 Redhawk Alaskan, it sucks), that 360 grain .460 though, oof, it stings!

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
5/25/21 4:28 p.m.

I used to own a Ruger GP 100 in .357.  "Out to 100" might be a bit of a stretch.  Still the most accurate pistol I've ever owned.  It looked pretty much exactly like this: Ruger® GP100® Standard Double-Action Revolver Model 1705

I sold it . . . because I'm an idiot.  Remember, anything bigger is going to be a beast to carry around if you are planning to backback with it.

If 6 accurate .357 rounds don't stop it, it's going to eat you anyway.

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
5/25/21 6:09 p.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

Been thinking hard about a somewhat large caliber pistol, because reasons. I'm wanting a revolver, because I don't like 45acp. I'm also looking at something at least 4" but prefer 6" so I have some reasonable range. 
Basically narrowed down to 45LC, 44mag, 357mag. 
heavily leaning 357. 

Thoughts? Suggestions? Intended use is range targets say out to 100y (ha!) and a hip gun for the rare occasion I get up in the mountains camping (we have big cats, bears, stuff o don't like thinking about with my 2" 9mm) and possibly something with stopping power inside the range of my .308. 

Hot 44mag is the easy button of those options.  If you are genuinely concerned about bear you need 454 Casull, Smith 500, etc.  A hot 357mag jacketed hollow points has a ridiculous high one shot stop rating for humans and is by far the easiest to hold onto.  Lots more options in the 357 cost wise and probably one of the most inherently accurate of the herd.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UberDork
5/25/21 8:09 p.m.

A hot 357 is the baseline if you are worried about bear, some Buffalo bore or Underwood stuff is pretty impressive.

How much recoil do you like? 44mag jumps a lot ahead in power and if you wanna go 45colt you need to get the right 45 Colt to get the full potential of them

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
5/25/21 9:02 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Even that doesn't look like one o them evil black automatic assault thingies that the news talks about all the time. Ya know, the ones that kill hundreds of innocents just by accidently looking at the trigger

barefootskater (Shaun)
5/25/21 9:08 p.m.

Not really worried about bear. Just something I know has been seen/tracked in one of the areas  I used to frequent for summer camping. Locally, it's all coyote, feral boar, and some big cats. 

That said, I'm not a big camper, and I'm not really worried about being eaten, or really even about being robbed. Mostly just looking at target stuff. Blasting pumpkins and soda cans at 50-80y. But I do plan to get into hunting in the somewhat near future, and having a sidearm is probably a good idea where the game might take some convincing. Or like the time in my buddies truck when he hit a deer and luckily had his .45 to finish the job so the animal didn't have to bleed out. 

.357 seems to be the best choice for a mix of power/cost/utility. Enough to get the job done, better than 45LC in every measurable regard (aside from maybe just pure sexiness) and much less recoil than 44mag, thus easier to shoot well, and ammo is cheaper by a good margin. Just wanted folks to weigh in. 

stroker
stroker UberDork
5/25/21 9:38 p.m.

My $.02 is a stainless S&W L-frame with adjustable sights in 357 with a 6" bbl.  YMMV.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
5/26/21 4:51 a.m.

I like the Ruger LCR in .38 spl/ .357

Nothing says "This is gonna hurt...a lot" like a 6" ball of fire from the muzzle. I had a really nice smith j-frame in the same caliber but sold it as I was less accurate with it than the ruger.

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/26/21 5:21 a.m.

If you're feeling spendy you could get one of the Dan Wesson revolvers with the interchangeable barrel kits. I think they came with 2", 4" & 6" barrels so you could change up based on purpose...

They are also very loud in 357 mag. So another impressive feature.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
5/26/21 7:11 a.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

I have always wanted a 2" .357. I figured if I don't hit them they'll still be blind and deaf for a little while giving me a chance for a follow up or to vacate the area.

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
5/26/21 7:21 a.m.

Excited to get to the range today and work out my range drops for the 10/22 ahead of my first National Rimfire Match Competition in a few weeks.  I'll be undergunned based on the amount of 4-6k match setups but will still be fun. 

Looking forward to see if it likes the Federal match as much as it like the CCI standard velocity.  I was amazed that it grouped literally half the size at 50yds with the CCI standard vs the Federal HIgh Velocity cheap stuff.  When the ammo craze ends I'll need to pick up some Lapua or SK match as they are supposedly a significant improvement over what I have been playing with.

barefootskater (Shaun)
5/26/21 7:50 a.m.

Seems that at one point or another, all of my close friends had little snubby 357s. I'm not really a fan. Add in my wrist issues and desire to actually hit anything.    
I may hold out for a double action though. Local shop has a heritage 5.5" that sure does look the part, but if it did come down to self defense I think I'd rather pull the trigger than pull the hammer. 

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
5/26/21 8:15 a.m.

In reply to 84FSP :

No need to wait for ammo craziness to end to buy Lapua .22. Craziness does not hit quality ammo as much. A few months ago I bought a case of SK plus for less than 10% over what I paid 8 years ago.

kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
5/26/21 8:35 a.m.

Seems that at one point or another, all of my close friends had little snubby 357s. I'm not really a fan. Add in my wrist issues and desire to actually hit anything.    
I may hold out for a double action though. Local shop has a heritage 5.5" that sure does look the part, but if it did come down to self defense I think I'd rather pull the trigger than pull the hammer. 

FWIW - I also previously owned a Ruger SP 101 - 2" small frame .38/.357.  I hated that almost as much as I loved the full framed GP.  I wouldn't recommend a small frame .357.  Even with .38's, it was flat punishing to shoot.  The 8" fireballs were cool, though.

5/26/21 8:40 a.m.

It becomes second nature after awhile, like flicking off a safety.

Plus you get a single action trigger pull which is best for precision which is one of your priorities. Also a SA revolver us pretty much the safest gun in the world to carry especially if it's got a transfer bar.

My woods gun is a single action and has been for a long time

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
5/26/21 8:52 a.m.
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to 84FSP :

No need to wait for ammo craziness to end to buy Lapua .22. Craziness does not hit quality ammo as much. A few months ago I bought a case of SK plus for less than 10% over what I paid 8 years ago.

I think my buddy just paid 317 for 100rounds rounds which isn't bad for good ammo.  But too be fair I am also cheap...

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
5/26/21 8:54 a.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

It becomes second nature after awhile, like flicking off a safety.

Plus you get a single action trigger pull which is best for precision which is one of your priorities. Also a SA revolver us pretty much the safest gun in the world to carry especially if it's got a transfer bar.

My woods gun is a single action and has been for a long time

I love my 8" barreled redhawk and blackhawk SA guns.  Easily the most comfortable pistols to shoot hot rounds thru as the grip style/angle allows a nice movement that defrays energy.

barefootskater (Shaun)
5/26/21 9:08 a.m.

In reply to 84FSP :

A red hawk is high on the want list, but a bit rich for my budget. Maybe it's worth saving for, especially since revolvers are probably the least likely thing to be on any potential infringement legislation. 

5/26/21 12:50 p.m.

In reply to 84FSP :

I found a guy semi-local selling ammo to buy rifle parts. I got a full case for 850. If you need a couple boxes to see if your gun likes it, let me know.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
5/26/21 5:42 p.m.

2 rounds of .38+p as the "appetizer" - 3 rounds of .357 for dessert. The LCR is double action with an internal hammer. Personally I like the long deliberate pull of a double action revolver but I realize it's not everyone's cup of tea.

And yeah. .357 HURTS, but only the next day. If it saves someone's life I can deal with that. My $.02 - YMMV.

barefootskater (Shaun)
5/26/21 6:34 p.m.

A coworker is going to check out an older Ruger vaquero listed on some site locally for me. His call, if it's in good shape I may have a new thing tomorrow. We'll see. 

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
5/26/21 6:55 p.m.

A coworker is going to check out an older Ruger vaquero listed on some site locally for me. His call, if it's in good shape I may have a new thing tomorrow. We'll see. 

The vaquero is cool - I miss the modern adjustable sites but they are pretty awesom

5/26/21 9:29 p.m.
5/26/21 10:32 p.m.

In reply to 84FSP :

I agree wholeheartedly. I've had both and the Blackhawk is better for heavy loads

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ojuEHdLXr4R1diYeVUFZZkKVwlOV1qYRVRGJ8X7Yy0HEfvj3ZCfUsPu72bhekG2u